18 replies to this topic

#1 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

Quite honestly, I'm surprised so many people enthused over at Sandy's intro about this game. I love it, such a mellow, fun game to kill thirty hours with.

For those not in the know, it's farmvil, but good, combined with Japanese eroge. The goal is to take a rundown farm and repair and improve it by planting vegetables and fruit and raising animals. Time and stamina must be micromanaged as well as monies you get from selling farm produce and wild vegetables. You can mine the earth for valuable ores for cash, or to upgrade your stuff in certain games. Fishing, foraging, splitting wood to upgrade your house, all walk the line between super fun and borderline mine-numbing.

If you haven't, emulate that bitch. Start out with an older version, Friends of Mineral Town and 64 were both solid. Magic Melody and Wonderful Life are more whimsical. Newer ones for the DS and WII have kinda gotten away from the dynamic that made the older games so great, but are still worth a play.

My favorite is Friends of Mineral Town, although I have fond memories of 64 and the original Gameboy, which were the first two I played. I've put some solid playtime in all of them, except for Save the Homeland on PS2 and one of the newer DS games. (That I just downloaded and will play when I get some free time)

Karen was my favorite back in the day, I have a soft spot for the tsundere types. Plus, if you didn't befriend her, she'd run away from her abusive father. I definitely have a soft spot for the 'protect me' type. 

I wish I could have put more time into Magical Melody. The customization seemed cool, and there were lotsa love interests.  

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store

#2 Sandy

Sandy

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

You did a great job summing up the game.

I never really liked Karen. I've always been into the shy, girly types, and with guys it was the types I could relate to the most. I like Ray from Magical Melody and I love how down to earth Gustafa is. I also love Flora. I was so happy to see her as an available spouse in DS.

Magical Melody is really cool. I would have been happy if they gave the events and festivals a little bit more to do, and made climbing the mountain a little bit differently. But I love the winter mine. I'm always rolling in dough after the winter. And that's where you get rubies to make ruby pendants, which helped a lot with wooing Eve.

#3 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

I have a friend who /loves/ harvest moon games, which is saying alot considering how picky he is about games.

Not my kinda game anymore, but all in all worth playing.

I'll just leave this here, though.

comic288_zps468619bc.png

comic289_zps89bf579b.png

#4 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

"getting wood" Heh heh

I tend to like the cute/adorable types. In Back To Nature I married Elli because goddamn she's a cute little nurse >.> what's not to love? I also had files where I married Mary, Karen, and Ann. I could never bring myself to go for Popuri because she's a terrible character >.>. My main issue with all the games though, is that I suck at raising animals. Literally cannot do it. They die even if I look after them the way you're meant to. I HAVE THE TOUCH OF DEATH.

I need to get back into playing A Tale of Two Towns. Marrying Reina because she's awesome and green.

Also, Rune Factory. Anyone who likes RPGs and Harvest Moon NEEDS to at least try a RF game.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#5 Sandy

Sandy

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

"getting wood" Heh heh

I tend to like the cute/adorable types. In Back To Nature I married Elli because goddamn she's a cute little nurse >.> what's not to love? I also had files where I married Mary, Karen, and Ann. I could never bring myself to go for Popuri because she's a terrible character >.>. My main issue with all the games though, is that I suck at raising animals. Literally cannot do it. They die even if I look after them the way you're meant to. I HAVE THE TOUCH OF DEATH.

I need to get back into playing A Tale of Two Towns. Marrying Reina because she's awesome and green.

Also, Rune Factory. Anyone who likes RPGs and Harvest Moon NEEDS to at least try a RF game.

Which games can you not keep up with your animals? In MM it's fairly simple. I feed them all once a day, as well as brush them, take them outside, pet them, and milk the cow. Doing this every day got me full hearts in absolutely no time. I don't think I've had a single sick animal, except in HM DS because those damn cows are never happy.

I have Rune Factory 1 and I found it hard to get into. I love the potential love interests, though.

#6 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

All of them. I don't know why, I literally have the touch of death. YOUR COW IS SICK but I've been feeding it and brushing it YOUR COW HAS DIED aww

Rune Factory takes a lot of effort, but it definitely rewards it. Rune Factory 4 is one of the reasons I bought a 3DS. Now I just have to wait for it to actually come out >.>

LL1Yc5i.gif

#7 Sandy

Sandy

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

Wow, your animals sounds really high-maintenance...

True, I'll have to sit down and give it another chance. 

#8 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

Yeah I'm not fit to look after animals...so I don't. XD I even leave the dog outside during hurricanes.

LL1Yc5i.gif

#9 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

I haven't had a animal die since I was a kid on the GB. I cannot even imagine the hell you must put your cows through, like feeding them live chickens or something. Every morning they tremble as the barn door creaks opens and you walk in, fluffy hen in hand. 'Feeding time, Bess. I hope you're hungry!"

I really liked Flora, although I don't trust her around that archeologist. And Reina was my chick in my only playthrough of Two Towns. I like the brainy types, they're the only ones who get my references. 

The dating element of Rune Factory seemed broken to me. There was no point to it! I played the first one for the DS and loved it, but that part was a huge disappointment. I think maybe I should grab one of the PS3 versions and give em a go.

#10 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:52 PM

Wuuuut dating was awesome on RF o.o You can even take your girlfriend into dungeons with you!

LL1Yc5i.gif

#11 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

The dating was a cool feature. I like that they added it to ToTT. My problem was that some of the girls could be wooed by simply talking to them or taking a bath!  I did like the girl who fell in love with me because I read. If only it was so easy in real life, I bathe and read every day of the world.

#12 Sandy

Sandy

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

But Flora is so sweet. And I feel ya, Carter definitely has his eye on her and I won't have it. I like the librarian types as well, like Tori in the first Rune Factory, or Maria. But nobody beats Eve or Muffy. I guess I like spoiled girls.

I don't even remember what dating in Rune Factory is like anymore. I really should pick up that game again.

#13 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

The dating was a cool feature. I like that they added it to ToTT. My problem was that some of the girls could be wooed by simply talking to them or taking a bath!  I did like the girl who fell in love with me because I read. If only it was so easy in real life, I bathe and read every day of the world.

Reina is probably the easiest in ToTT. She's a botanist and loves flowers so it's just like k go pick some. I remember in Back to Nature I'd spend most of the day on the mountain filling my rucksack with flowers to give to Elli, because you weren't limited to 1 gift per day or anything. Whatever you could carry, you could gift. And it still took like a year and a half to get the bitch to like me. >.>

LL1Yc5i.gif

#14 DaRatmastah

DaRatmastah

Captain Overexcited Cyclops

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

Always Mary or Anne for me.  I love the quiet book girl, or the tomboyish girl tropes.  64 will always be my favorite, for nostalgia's sake, but Friends of Mineral town was a more in-depth and well-developed game(plus better translation/naturalization).  the SNES game is still playable, of course, as most SNES games are.

Gawd, I need to go start another playthrough on something.  I wish all the modern-er games weren't so not-harvest-moon-ish.

#15 Spidermonkey

Spidermonkey

Byte

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:01 PM

I'm so happy.

Harvest Moon is my favorite game ever. I play one every night before bed.

BUT I bought Rune Factory 4 when it first came out, but I haven't had a chance to play it until now, and I AM SO ADDICTED. I think it actually MIGHT be better than any Harvest Moon game I've played in recent years. The dialogue is amazing, story is fine, and there's a million things to do. Like. I can't stop playing it and going on dates with the characters (even my real life boyfriend is starting to question my committment to my in game boyfriend).

It's so embarrassing how much I love this game haha.

#16 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:20 PM

I hate you. They canceled the release of Rune Factory 4 here, and because Nintendo are DICKS and the 3DS isn't region-free, I can't play it.

LL1Yc5i.gif

#17 ageekygirllikeme

ageekygirllikeme

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:50 PM

The only Harvest Moon I've ever played was Save the Homeland for Playstation 2 and I love it. I recently bought it off of ebay for super cheap and am excited to play it again. I wasn't even aware that there were more Harvest Moon games.

Check out my blog https://mygeekygirllife.wordpress.com/

Check out my photography on instagram @thegeeklifeblog

#18 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:10 PM

The only Harvest Moon I've ever played was Save the Homeland for Playstation 2 and I love it. I recently bought it off of ebay for super cheap and am excited to play it again. I wasn't even aware that there were more Harvest Moon games.

Oh, you poor thing. Your only expierience with the series is arguably the worst entry. Download some roms and kill a weekend. 64 was the one that really got me into it, but the playstation version is probably better. The third gameboy version is quaint, the one where you can dig rice fields, but there's only one girl. Or go old school and start with the snes version.

#19 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:13 PM

I definitely second 64/Back To Nature. Absolutely hands-down my favourite, partially because it was a sort of reward for doing well in school, my parents took me shopping and said I could pick any game I wanted. They actually argued against Harvest Moon because it was cheap XD they didn't think it would be any good because it was such a low price compared to the rest of the games selection. Oh how wrong they were.

LL1Yc5i.gif