Lucid dreaming

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

lucid dream is any dream in which one is aware that one is dreaming. The term was coined by the Dutch psychiatrist and writer Frederik (Willem) van Eeden (1860–1932). In a lucid dream, the dreamer can exert some degree of control over their participation within the dream or be able to manipulate their imaginary experiences in the dream environment. Lucid dreams can be realistic and vivid.

This occasionally happens to me unintentionally - such a strange feeling. Sometimes it kind of feels like I want to move my arms/legs and can't, everything kind of goes black and then I'm in control of my arms and legs/etc in my dream.

The weirdest part is how real everything seems/feels. I'm aware I'm dreaming but everything seems/feels incredibly real.

Anyone else ever experience this?

#2 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

The paralysis could be you coming into consciousness as your brain goes into sleep patterns. Oddly enough this usually leads me to a lucid dream.

I have them all the time, now. I'm usually a little nervous going to sleep [seizures in my sleep and all that nonsense], so when I /do/ fall asleep, I can usually tell. Although it doesnt have much impact outside of me occasionally thinking "This is a dream" while my dreams continue to be crazy and nonsensical.

There are guides and groups that can help you achieve true lucid dreaming. A quick google search should turn up results.

#3 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

I had one once, and only once.

I had full control of everything I did, and apparently had telekinesis.

The dream was so vivid when I woke up I was convinced that I could still move things with my mind.

It actually took me a while to accept that it was a dream and that I couldn't actually move things with my mind.

Now I have to use my hands like a sucker when i want to pick things up.

I have tried to force myself to have this dream again because it was amazing, but have failed every time.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#4 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

I've had only one lucid dream. I've had terrible, terrible sleep-paralysis though. So terrifying I find it hard to sleep the next night.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#5 infiniteextasy

infiniteextasy

Bit

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

You should check out the work of Stephen La Berge he is one of the TOP experts on the topic of lucid dreaming.

If you get tired of his stuff, you might want to check out our blog we just uploaded a video on how to achieve deeper

sleep.

http://infiniteextasy.org   You are only half alive!

#6 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

I think I had a lucid dream once. I was going to buy a pair of mittens in my dream, said to myself, "wait, this is a dream", and instead ran off to fight dragons.

#7 LD50

LD50

Mechromancer

• Members
  • 2,053 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:52 AM

honestly never realized they weren't common till a few years ago. i have them a lot. of course, my dreams (that i can recall) are always quite vivid.

i also suffer from frequent nightmares and the occasional night terror.

sleep is not my friend.

#8 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

Huh, I didn't know there was a difference between the two. I always thought 'night terror' was a synonym for 'nightmare'. 

Google has led me to confirm that that sounds terrifying.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#9 LD50

LD50

Mechromancer

• Members
  • 2,053 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

very terrifying.

#10 Silver_rose

Silver_rose

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationLoading...

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

i also suffer from frequent nightmares and the occasional night terror.

I suffer from night terrors more often than I'd like to as well.
I wake up paranoid, forgetful of where I am. It's really bad when I'm not sleeping in my own bed.

As for lucid dreaming, I've tried so hard to deliberately lucid dream, but when I get to the point when I realise it's a dream, I wake up a few seconds later.

Because I can...

#11 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

I suffer from night terrors more often than I'd like to as well.
I wake up paranoid, forgetful of where I am. It's really bad when I'm not sleeping in my own bed.

As for lucid dreaming, I've tried so hard to deliberately lucid dream, but when I get to the point when I realise it's a dream, I wake up a few seconds later.

Whenever it happens to me I realize I'm asleep almost immediately. It generally speaking only happens if I'm worried about waking up soon (ie taking a nap at lunch time.); as soon as I realize I'm awake I just relax my mind and go back to sleep, it goes black briefly, and then I'm in dream mode with awareness.

Maybe you're trying too hard and it forces you awake? x: I don't know how other people experience it but when I'm aware of what's going on I'm not in a normal stream of thought, it's a little more primal.

#12 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

All this night terror talk just has The Simpsons running through my head.

"Aaaahhhhh, cobras! Aaaeeeeaaaahhhh!"

But seriously, sounds shitty.

I can only recall one waking up in an actual fright.

It was from a really strange dream, so no big deal.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#13 SIlhouette

SIlhouette

Megabyte

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:10 AM

I used to have full control of every aspect of my dreams when I was a kid, I remembered them fully upon waking and it was a lot of fun.

Now I can't remember most of what happens in my dreams, I know I lucid dream a lot still but I can only partially control what happens and some times as soon as I become aware that I am lucid dreaming my mind sabotages my dream because I just know that a serial killer is now behind me.

That said, I enjoy my nightmares, I remember a little bit of one I had a couple nights ago, It was a lucid dream and I got in a fight with someone, as usual I had some control over the dream but not much. The fight ended with him biting my pinky, ring and middle finger off along with half of my palm. The thought that went through my head was "Thank god that is not permanent". Usually I will wake myself up from within the dream because I feel its time to wake up now and I will only remember the last "Scene" that was played out in the dream + a few things from the many dreams I had earlier in the night but those parts won't make as much sense as what just happened prior to waking.