24 replies to this topic

#1 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1296414

A Texas woman burned her own house down during a heated battle with a snake.

The serpent frightened the lady while cleaning outside her home Wednesday night. She doused the limbless reptile in gasoline and called over her son to set it ablaze.

The plan backfired.

Her son tossed a lit match at the creeping reptile but it slithered into a nearby brush pile, bringing the flames with it. The brush pile, too, caught fire and soon spread to the family's home on Will Smith Rd. in Texarkana, Capt. David Grable of the Bowie County Sheriff's Department confirmed to the Daily News.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#2 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

For the record, we don't consider Texarkana as part of our state. >.>

nmjUGDL.jpg

#3 SIlhouette

SIlhouette

Megabyte

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

Seriously... I tend to just pick the snake up and put it in the bush somewhere. I understand some people have phobias but seriously? Gasoline? If you have to kill it you do something sensible like shovel through the neck or pick it up by the tail and whip its head into a brick.

#4 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:53 AM

Depending on the snake, picking it up by it's tail isn't that good of an idea. Cotton Mouths are very aggressive, and both they and copperheads can fully support their body to strike while held by the tail. Shovel is the best bet, or a gun. .22 makes quick work of them.

nmjUGDL.jpg

#5 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

Yeah I'd have gone for something heavy to bash its brains out, or failing that a large kitchen knife or something. Or hell, even stomping on its head would be a better idea than setting it on fire. >_>

LL1Yc5i.gif

#6 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

Put a blanket on it!

Put a little fence around it!

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#7 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

Well, hell. This is where I'd normally suggest killing it with fire, but that didn't work.

Akira, have you ever killed a snake in real life? It's not like video games where you can go in slashing with a knife, take out their two hit points, and they stop instantly. It's like spleen said, you keep your distance and use a gun or a spade, preferably from behind.

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store

#8 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:53 PM

Well no, but it'd still be a better idea than setting it on fire >_> Snakes aren't much of an issue here. You get the occasional adder or something, that's about it. Except for those retards who buy pythons then dump them in the "wild" (read: in a field) when they realise they're going to surpass 6 feet in length.

LL1Yc5i.gif

#9 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

I think that using fire in a house to remove a pest is the only way to remove a pest.

#10 LD50

LD50

Mechromancer

• Members
  • 2,053 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:52 PM

For the record, we don't consider Texarkana as part of our state. >.>

neither do we

#11 SIlhouette

SIlhouette

Megabyte

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

Our venomous snakes can't support their body weight so you are safe if you pick them up by the tail. Well I am not sure about our Sea Snakes but I wouldn't handle one of those, thats a job for the shovel.

Also Pythons are highly territorial, If you have one in your land then its highly unlikely that they will let any venomous snakes make a home nearby. I used to go out tracking Pythons and put them into our crawlspaces and floorboards to eat the bush rats.

#12 Silver_rose

Silver_rose

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationLoading...

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:45 AM

Seriously... I tend to just pick the snake up and put it in the bush somewhere.

LOL

Spoken like a true Australian

Although, I've never really done that, haven't encountered too many snakes.

Had a Brown snake in the shed... We left it there 'cause it was in a place we don't go near, it wasn't bothering anyone and it was keeping the place free of mice. Win/Win honestly.

Because I can...

#13 SIlhouette

SIlhouette

Megabyte

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:56 AM

LOL

Spoken like a true Australian

Although, I've never really done that, haven't encountered too many snakes.

Had a Brown snake in the shed... We left it there 'cause it was in a place we don't go near, it wasn't bothering anyone and it was keeping the place free of mice. Win/Win honestly.

Well within reason... If it has just eaten then they tend to be grumpy and I don't handle grumpy snakes, also baby snakes don't have developed muscles around their poison glands so they can dose you with a huge amount of venom in a single bite. So baby snakes are usually killed on sight unless they appear to be friendly. Also depends on the type of snake, Red Bellies tend to be quite calm around humans and unless they are inside I will leave them to their own devices. If I do not know the type of snake then I will not handle it, worst case is I get bitten but can't tell the doctors which anti venom to use.

Pythons I encourage to come inside, except if my niece is around since that becomes an unpredictable situation.

I in no way consider what I am doing to be stupid, steve erwin was an idiot and his methods for handling snakes were even more stupid.

#14 Silver_rose

Silver_rose

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationLoading...

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:07 AM

I in no way consider what I am doing to be stupid, steve erwin was an idiot and his methods for handling snakes were even more stupid.

I'm not saying you are, if you're being cautious around snakes, and children, then you're doing fine.
I agree with you on Steve Erwin.
He was a good showman, but he made Aussies looked like reckless idiots.

Because I can...

#15 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:00 AM

As opposed to the Aussies who don't do that? ;D

#16 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:26 AM

I'm so glad I only have to deal with garden snakes out at home. Most of the time, I forget snakes are a thing, they're pretty rare where there's 7 or 8 months of winter.

#17 DaRatmastah

DaRatmastah

Captain Overexcited Cyclops

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

"It done caught the house!"  ...oh dear lord.

#18 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

I'm so glad I only have to deal with garden snakes out at home. Most of the time, I forget snakes are a thing, they're pretty rare where there's 7 or 8 months of winter.

Wow, I never actually thought about there being snakes in Canada. I'd think it'd be too cold for them to be very active. Like how we don't have wolverines in Florida for a similar reason: they can't move in direct sunlight. Like Dr. Who's angels and all that.

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store

#19 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:00 PM

Wow, I never actually thought about there being snakes in Canada. I'd think it'd be too cold for them to be very active. Like how we don't have wolverines in Florida for a similar reason: they can't move in direct sunlight. Like Dr. Who's angels and all that.

We have snakes, they are just vastly non-poisonous pythons.

The only poisonous snake in Canada that I can think of is the Massasauga rattle snake.

And yes, the cold keeps them at bay for most of the year.

They get a whole hell of a lot of hibernation round these parts.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#20 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:43 AM

That just means they're well rested for when the decide to attack. 

nmjUGDL.jpg