#21 Wednesday

Wednesday

Byte

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:47 AM

Hey.
Humans have trichromatic eyesight. (Three primary colors: Red Blue Green, as we're talking about light).

Some animals (including birds) have tetrachromatic (4 primary colors) sight, and their forth primary color is in the ultraviolet range. Thus that means that there are actually colors out there that we don't see that we may be able to someday through genetic modification.

See, the way that it works is that in your eye you have 3 different types of cone cells, and each process a different color channel, red, blue, and green. Birds have four, red, blue, green, and ???.

(P.S. You just got SCIENCED!)

I was reading an article about this not long and it was about modifying genes to be able to see more colours. There were also studies that some females have tetrachromic vision and it allowed them to see more shades of red, which would normally appear as one colour.

#22 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:56 AM

Modifying our genetics could work.

Or they could figure out a way to physically more cones and rods to our eyes so we can do neat stuff like see ultraviolet and have night vision like cats.

The theory behind women having superior colour differentiation on average is that way back when our species was a hunter/gatherer type, the women were the gatherers.

Their main source of obtaining food was picking berries/fruit and such, and having the ability to differentiate between slight shades of the same colour let them better determine ripeness, and which foods were poisonous or bad.

Also, men were responsible for embarking off in to the wilderness and bringing back an animal for eating.

Which, as the theory goes, is why men on average have a better spacial understanding than women.

We needed to be able to wander off for a few days hunting and know what direction home was in so we could get back with the spoils.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#23 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:26 PM

mantis shrimp have mad color receptors.

#24 Rejected

Rejected

Megabyte

• Banned
  • 453 posts
  • Locationhttp://www.crackhackforum.com/user-54122.html

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

Human imagination is INFINITE!

Try to imagine a new color...

Oh, hmmm... FUCK!

ducks see more colors than we do.

Was it ducks? I forgot. T

tumblr_my2mijmVhL1rb06tgo1_500.gif

#25 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

We had that discussion a while back, actually. Like, that exact conversation. I'd link to it if I felt like relocating it.

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#26 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

I'd just like to say, florescent brown. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#27 The Seldom Seen Kid

The Seldom Seen Kid

Seldom Seen

• Members
  • 476 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:53 PM

If there is still more room for bad science puns then allow me to say:             "Baby if you come home with me then you will be (Mg,Fe)7 Si8 O22 (OH)2"