#1 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

So I came across this on tumblr: http://geniusbee.tum...o-anon-yes-ok-i

Which sort of made me question, is science fiction what drives some of us to create the things we do? Is it something we draw inspiration from, what we think our world will look like eventually, not now, but perhaps eventually. Or is it really just fantasy for the idle mind?

There's actually tech from Star Trek that are real things now, there's a list here. (I hate slide show articles, too) In the library, there was a science fiction history book there, that was very interesting. Some older stories from the thirties predicted we'd be colonized on the moon by now.

Anyway, it's sort of interesting and I thought it'd make good conversation.

#2 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

It is scary, the amount of technological advances we have made to achieve something that was written in a science fiction novel from a hundred years ago.
I strongly believe that the science fiction worlds we have created as a species in our literature are what push and guide us to create the world we are starting to live in now.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#3 Matty_poo

Matty_poo

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:28 PM

Just gonna leave this here.

Mighty horse rocks, he rocks the fat ass. 

youtube.com/Geekcitypodcast

soundcloud.com/newgeekcity

#4 SIlhouette

SIlhouette

Megabyte

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:40 AM

Its true, If I said "Terran Technology" or "Alien Technology", you would come up with an image in your head that describes each of these. Terran technology looks more like the ships in Alien or Starcraft but Alien tech looks more like Xcom or Independence Day. Both of these architectures are created by human minds since we have never met an alien before, but if I showed you an image of a potential future ship then you would come up with a thought of "That must be one of our future ships" or "That must be an invading species ship". This obviously shows us that we have a cultural direction we are heading. Society thought it up and we will follow it. Although some of the future sports cars by VW and Audi look pretty alien like to me.

#5 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

I was reading something similar to this a while back on reddit, and there was a writer that had a really good answer.

Scifi is normally dreamed up by people who would like to see something happen, but the knowledge to make it happen isn't there yet, so they write it down and make it interesting to inspire someone to actually do it when the technology and knowledge have progressed enough. 

nmjUGDL.jpg