Desktop App - Alpha testing / graphics help wanted

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

With the release of the web API I've been able to work on the desktop app - visually not too much is available, however, 80% of the work is done. (the majority of the underlying magic is there, though not all of it is visually displayed)

If anyone would like to use it as is for the sake of using it or to help me progressively test, you can download the latest version from here.

Currently it will only give notifications for posts, they appear like this.

If you are graphically talented, I am in need of
  • 48x48 test tubey/flask deal (such as this without the circle or Bunsen burner); two colors, flask itself black chemical inside single shade of green (or black if you want, I can change the colors)
  • 16x16 minimize icon (prefer blue in color, currently using this as a placeholder)
  • 20x20 test tubey/flask deal with animated chemical action (such as this, except cleaner and quicker)

Known issues
  • Any BBCode/HTML in posts will not parse out and appear as plain text (this is a problem with the current version of IPS and should be resolved soon)
  • Messages will re-notify until they've been read. Not sure how to handle this one appropriately - flag it as notified at the server level it won't show the notification when browsing the site via a browser, but if I store it on the client that the message has been notified it's gonna to consume memory for every message notified.
Intended changes
3/4 16:55 - download.
  • Initial release

#2 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

3/4 16:55 - download.
  • Initial release
3/5 10:33 - download.
  • Notifications no longer appear in taskbar
  • Notifications no longer steal focus from currently focused programs
  • Auto-login added
  • Ability to turn off auto-hide for notifications added
  • Fixed remember me not saving on login screen

#3 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

3/6 11:30 - download.
  • Notifications now fade in and out. (time spent on this does not deduct from time displayed)
  • Messages are now displayed as well as posts

#4 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

3/7 14:38 - download.
  • You can now configure where Notifications start and how they stack (ie, you can start them in the upper left corner of any screen and have additional notifications stack to the right. This also supports multiple monitors with operating mode set to Extended Desktop - others I am unsure of, doesn't hurt to try).
  • Messages will only appear once per session in notifications.
  • Hitting the enter key on the login page within a textbox will now log you in.
  • Auto-login and Login controls on the login page now properly disable while logging in.
  • BBCode is now stripped out of messages and posts. I originally intended to display it as it was posted in Notifications, however, to avoid color clashing/oversized text/giant images in notifications I'd rather just strip it atm.
As far as changes changes for the initial release it's fairly close to completion. The one additional code feature I need to tackle is full-screen detection and I'm not too sure how I'm going to do that for multiple monitor setups.

Outside of that, just minor polish changes
  • Don't notify user of their own posts
  • Prettify the config page
  • Show the topic of thread/message on notifications rather than the authors status
  • Clean up the main page to show basic info about the logged in user and possibly some statistics. (nothing complicated)
And a few fixes to the web API
  • URL for messages is borked
  • URL for posts on second page is borked
If anyone has any interest in helping with any of the images please post in this thread or send me a PM.

We're nearing release - if you intend to use this, I urge you download the latest version and make sure it works for you. No installer, no bloat, just a single EXE. This is also the best time to give me feedback.

#5 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

So I might have found a glitch.
I downloaded it, and went to configuration, when I hit cancel to close out of the config, it seems to have closed the entire program.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#6 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

The Exit button on config is intended to close the application until I have the "main" page filled out. x:
To cancel out of the config window just close it via the x in the upper right.

#7 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

Ah. well that's an easy explanation.
nmjUGDL.jpg