11 replies to this topic

#1 NervousNerd

NervousNerd

Byte

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

Hi fellow nerds.
This is mainly concerning those of you who live in the United States, but if anybody knows please post.
What are the laws in the US regarding sale of fur coats,jackets etc.
Are they illegal or legal?

Cheers

#2 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationThe latest Smash Major

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

I'm pretty sure it's legal, but what kind of fur?

fl9Uov4.gif

#3 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

I'm pretty sure that animal furs in general are legal and unrestricted in most of the U.S.

I own at least one coat with fur lining, although it was a hand-me-down from my great uncle, via my dad.
Plus, I own a few leather things. I don't see why leather would be legal if fur wasn't.

So yeah, I don't think there are any legal restrictions on the sale of fur or leather in the U.S. unless they are from an animal that is considered endangered.
I don't think he needs to be immortal. I think all he needs to do is to write the right story. Because some stories do live forever.

#4 NervousNerd

NervousNerd

Byte

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

Fuck!!! I`m talking about fur from animals from fur farms in china:
http://www.youtube.c...c.1.huR7FXRSZgE

I can`t see how anyone can justify wearing or selling anything like this.

#5 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

I see videos about the fur trade from long ago when people traded beaver pelts and stuff for other stuff? I see no problem with this.

In modern times, if you're breeding animals like dalmatians just for their fur (Cruella Deville?), then yeah I have a problem with it. But I guess with rabbit fur, or game animal fur, as long as you make use of the animal in some other way, it doesn't bother me.

Out at home I live in an area where a lot of people hunt rabbit and deer. They'll sometimes keep the pelts, but they mostly use the body for meat to eat. This I don't mind as much, as long as you're not killing the animal for your vanity.

#6 NervousNerd

NervousNerd

Byte

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

I don`t mind if the animal is shot,and the fur is needed to survive e.g in the artic etc but caged, starved skinned alive, anally probe etc is just twisted.

#7 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

I don't mind leather, I mean we have leather sofas, I have a fake leather jacket but I'd get a real one if I could afford it, providing the animal was killed relatively humanely. There's a sort of conflict over this sort of thing. I don't think anyone who has eaten at KFC or McDonalds or who uses beauty products without looking at the labels has any moral right to be upset at someone who wears a leather jacket because animal suffering in part feeds us, provides us with medicine and beauty products, it clothes us too. It's an unfortunate fact and of course I'm against animal cruelty but It would be pot kettle black to be up in arms against someone else for buying from a source which uses animals unfairly.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#8 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

I don't really even have a problem with raising livestock specifically to use the skins and furs,
But I do feel that all animals should be treated humanely.

I think I would be more worried about the fur industry if the food industry wasn't so much bigger and as-bad-or-worse.

That said, I don't exactly have the budget (nor particularly the desire) to switch to an all-vegetarian diet. So I just eat as little meat as I can manage. ~shrug~
These things don't have to be all-or-nothing. Most people can't handle that kind of change in their lifestyle. I think if we all do little things and express the desire to change the system, then the system will gradually change.
I don't think he needs to be immortal. I think all he needs to do is to write the right story. Because some stories do live forever.

#9 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

Every single mass farming of animals for pelts/food/anything else will always be a disgusting and immoral operation.
It is unavoidable.
Those animals will have a miserable life that leads to nothing but death and agony.
Such is the nature of industry.

That being said, I think fur coats look stupid and don't understand why people would put so much effort in to providing a product that makes people look stupid.
Or why said people would buy something that makes them look stupid.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#10 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

At the risk of sounding like an uncaring ass, I don't really care about the fur trade.

It all comes back to money, almost everything in life, at some stage, has money play a huge role.

As long as we have money, we'll have people doing undesirable/underhanded things to get it. PETA isn't stopping anyone, protesters arent stopping anyone, hell at this point I don't think LAWS would even stop anyone.

But, on the not-so-bright side, there are many things out there much worse than humans killing animals for fur, such as human trafficking.

#11 SIlhouette

SIlhouette

Megabyte

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

As long as you use what you kill I don't have an issue with this, I would kill my own sheep to make a nice steak, I would skin it also since it was already dead. By not means do I condone the torturing and mistreatment of animals though, must be a clean kill.

#12 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

That being said, I think fur coats look stupid and don't understand why people would put so much effort in to providing a product that makes people look stupid.
Or why said people would buy something that makes them look stupid.

Supervillains. That is my answer.

At the risk of sounding like an uncaring ass, I don't really care about the fur trade.

It all comes back to money, almost everything in life, at some stage, has money play a huge role.

As long as we have money, we'll have people doing undesirable/underhanded things to get it. PETA isn't stopping anyone, protesters arent stopping anyone, hell at this point I don't think LAWS would even stop anyone.

But, on the not-so-bright side, there are many things out there much worse than humans killing animals for fur, such as human trafficking.

Agreed. It's only truely illegal when you have to go to the deep web to do it.

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store