14 replies to this topic

#1 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:50 AM

For those interested, you can avoid the UEFI bios by spamming the DEL key as soon as it starts, or use the win8 method to get into it. The disk is formated to GPT, which causes problems. The easiest thing to do is on the install screen for Windows 7 press shift+F10 to get into command prompt, and use DISKPART and CLEAN to remove any formatting. Everything should install proper from there.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#2 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

So was 8 so bad you had to switch back to 7? Or are there other reasons?

#3 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:22 AM

Mostly the fact that it's a work computer, and I want everyone on the same OS. I'm not a fan of it at all, but the more I use it, the more I figure out at least.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#4 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationThe latest Smash Major

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

There's a grammatical error in the thread title: You said downgrading to 7 from 8, it's UPGRADING from 8 to 7.

fl9Uov4.gif

#5 SIlhouette

SIlhouette

Megabyte

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

I still prefer XP... You could really break one of those then put them back together! Amazing for an Engineer :D

#6 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

XP was and still is amazingly stable for a Windows OS.

fl9Uov4.gif

#7 Fox The Cat

Fox The Cat

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationEmerald Hill

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

There's a grammatical error in the thread title: You said downgrading to 7 from 8, it's UPGRADING from 8 to 7.

I'm pretty sure a little boys opinion doesn't change a definition of a word :l

you innocent... fucking... fox... 

#8 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

I'm pretty sure a little boys opinion doesn't change a definition of a word :l

and I'm pretty sure that you don't recognize a joke when you see one :|

fl9Uov4.gif

#9 Fox The Cat

Fox The Cat

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationEmerald Hill

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

and I'm pretty sure that you don't recognize a joke when you see one :|

I actually do! Just being a wise ass B)

you innocent... fucking... fox... 

#10 ElixrAffixed

ElixrAffixed

Byte

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

Windows 8 really features plenty of positive and useful ideas, but like many reviewers have warned, there seems to be an odd marriage between the Metro, or tile, user interface and the desktop. If only this marriage was a bit more ceremonious between the two when using it in a desktop environment, fewer folks would find reason to complain. Microsoft will iron out their faults in time, but the learning curve or, quite simply, the change it has brought to the market may remain as an act of futility on their part to some critics, but it was certainly a necessary change, one of which has brought some nice things to the table.

#11 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:18 PM

Windows 8 really features plenty of positive and useful ideas, but like many reviewers have warned, there seems to be an odd marriage between the Metro, or tile, user interface and the desktop. If only this marriage was a bit more ceremonious between the two when using it in a desktop environment, fewer folks would find reason to complain. Microsoft will iron out their faults in time, but the learning curve or, quite simply, the change it has brought to the market may remain as an act of futility on their part to some critics, but it was certainly a necessary change, one of which has brought some nice things to the table.

I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment. Generally speaking every other version of windows has been less than successful but has plenty of new features with a lot of merit (e.g. vista's UAC and aero).

I like the general idea of live tiles but at the moment of writing don't think I'd ever want to give up my standard taskbar; maybe a compromise where live tiles act as an active background but the standard toolbar is still there? Or make live tiles one of the windows key combination menus, or possibly dual monitor setups where your main is your standard desktop/taskbar and your secondary hosts your live tile stuff.

In the benchmarks I saw early on there was a decent performance difference between 7 and 8; not enough to upgrade solely based upon that, but enough to still surprise me.

I'm going to take a guess and say 9 (or whatever they decide to call it) will be much more successful.

#12 SIlhouette

SIlhouette

Megabyte

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:47 AM

I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment. Generally speaking every other version of windows has been less than successful but has plenty of new features with a lot of merit (e.g. vista's UAC and aero).

I like the general idea of live tiles but at the moment of writing don't think I'd ever want to give up my standard taskbar; maybe a compromise where live tiles act as an active background but the standard toolbar is still there? Or make live tiles one of the windows key combination menus, or possibly dual monitor setups where your main is your standard desktop/taskbar and your secondary hosts your live tile stuff.

In the benchmarks I saw early on there was a decent performance difference between 7 and 8; not enough to upgrade solely based upon that, but enough to still surprise me.

I'm going to take a guess and say 9 (or whatever they decide to call it) will be much more successful.

I does seem to skip every second release. 98 was good, i didn't really like 2000, XP was great!, Vista was shit, 7 was good, some things on 8 are ok... but the overall feel I get is another Vista... and so yes, very likely the next one will be more good then bad. My friend did do an amazing vista overhaul and his worked amazingly but it took him months to do and he was reluctant to upgrade to Win7 after all the work he had put into his machine. he has upgraded since then though so he could grab Dx11 for games like Crysis and stuff and go back to official windows patches in security.

#13 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:39 AM

XP was and still is amazingly stable for a Windows OS.

also longest running/supported production os

#14 K_N

K_N

Megabyte

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:19 AM

It wasn't that hard for me. The hard part was making a bootable Win7 USB on a UEFI Win8 computer. No bootsect.exe :(

Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.

#15 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

The last one I had a problem with had the bios locked so you couldn't enable legacy mode to boot from CD.

nmjUGDL.jpg