23 replies to this topic

#21 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

Matty, we seem to have similar music tastes. I'm also a fan of Emilie Autumn and Epica.

In high school my friends were metalheads. And they tried to convert me to more hardcore stuff, but I ended up splitting off from them and really getting into symphonic metal, which is usually lead by a female vocalist in the first place. Within Temptation was one of my first big metal bands that I loved.

#22 SIlhouette

SIlhouette

Megabyte

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

Usually it is split up into Royalties - Composition 11.5%
- Physical 23.5%
Distribution Fee 20-30%
Hosting Fee 5-10%
Retailers Fee 20-30%

Label gets their money from Physical Royalties and gets paid back from the Composition Royalties to the Artist Loan
Distribution goes towards the physical distribution costs but the model has not changed so Itunes usually takes this or the label.
In some cases the Facilitator will get this fee but usually it is worked out as a contract since that is easier for Itunes.
Hosting fee is more bullcrap for Itunes to take more money. Retailers fee is the same. If done wisely then yes it is possible for you to get a better deal and by the looks of it you have but in most cases Itunes is just free advertising and only gives the artist a very very small cut (11.5% after the label is paid back... which never happens these days).

Obviously not knowing your set up I used general figures for the vast majority of artists that use Itunes. I havent looked at CD Baby but many of these companies have a contract in their sign ups that say if you don't pay our monthly/yearly fee then any excess money you earn outside of royalties goes to their maintenance fee. In effect this means you are making less then 1/10th of a cent per download so even though it doesn't come out of the figures you still need to calculate monthly fees and all that.

#23 Hummingbird_Lost

Hummingbird_Lost

Byte

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

Stolen Babies, as mentioned

Schoolyard Heroes

In This Moment (only their older stuff... I'm shocked at how bad their new "sound" is)

Within Temptation

#24 MrSandman

MrSandman

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

There are alot of great Swedish bands with Female singers. The Sounds

and heres an all girl band called

Sahara Hotnights