“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#2 Matty_poo

Matty_poo

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

Just found this band and love them, keeping with the metal thing. Blood Stain Child, a japanese metal band worthy of your support.

Mighty horse rocks, he rocks the fat ass. 

youtube.com/Geekcitypodcast

soundcloud.com/newgeekcity

#3 inhumanrampager

inhumanrampager

Byte

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

Heard about Blood Stain Child when some album came out.....wanna say 2010 or 2011. I don't remember.

So first off you have the aforementioned Stolen Babies. - http://www.youtube.c...h?v=bHDhA35KR_I They're kind of like if Tim Burton did folk metal. One part I find interesting about them is the bass player actually. His style breaks through, even in a live setting, and I would say he leads the band. It gives them a sort of swing, which is neat.

Up next, obligitory Lacuna Coil mention - http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ixxtnrWb17Y Now, there are better songs by them out there, yes, but this is the first song I ever heard from them. And while it is a good song, I feel lik I've heard it too much....to the point where I feel like a lot of female vocalists in metal try to mimic her (especially with this song) and it kinda makes me sick....not in a figurative way, but in a literal way. I feel it....in my gut. If they aren't trying to mimic Christina Scabbia, they're trying to mimic the chick from Nightwish. And I'd link to them, but honestly, I'm not really a fan.

And finally, the obligitory Devin Townsend link was scrapped ebcause of the weird media settings here. BUT I was only gonna post the same link from the Stolen Babies thread, so if you clicked that and listened already, then you're all set. If, however, you missed it, I linked Supercrush from the By A Thread DVD. So go find it. Listen to it. Love it. And then go find the album it came from, Addicted. Listen to it, love it, and improve your life.....because it certainly improved mine.

#4 Matty_poo

Matty_poo

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

just to change up the genre a bit, we have brody from The Distillers, who I adore. a bit rougher in the voice department, but still very nice in my opinion.

Edited by Matty_poo, 12 February 2013 - 03:37 PM.

#5 inhumanrampager

inhumanrampager

Byte

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

She um.....doesn't exactly sound like a chick. She sounds like she has more balls than the singer from Blink 182. I'm just saiyan.

Also, I couldn't losten to those guitars.....too simple >_<

#6 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

Just found this band and love them, keeping with the metal thing. Blood Stain Child, a japanese metal band worthy of your support.

https://www.youtube....ature=endscreen

Aaah! I love it! They're great

I actually listen to quite a few female vocalists, my favourite female vocal bands below,

Halestorm - I consider the style to be a like "hardcore Paramore"
Porcelain and the Tramps - I don't know what to say about these guys other than these the songs I get sexy to
Lyriel - Lovely folk metal band I found earlier.
Amanda Palmer - It's Amanda fucking Palmer
The Vincent Black Shadow - I love these guys. I really do.

#7 Matty_poo

Matty_poo

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

She um.....doesn't exactly sound like a chick. She sounds like she has more balls than the singer from Blink 182. I'm just saiyan.

Also, I couldn't losten to those guitars.....too simple >_<

It's all good man, different strokes ya know?

The Vincent Black Shadow - I love these guys. I really do.

huh, thought I was the only person in the world who knew of them, nice.

#8 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

huh, thought I was the only person in the world who knew of them, nice.

I found them on music-map.com looking for bands similar to The Creepshow. I fell in love with them, even got booty shorts and a tank with their logo on it, aha.

#9 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

The girl from VersaEmerge has a really good voice. x:

(she's the girl in ad2r's If It Means a Lot to You)

#10 Matty_poo

Matty_poo

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:15 AM

The Creepshow.

Another great band, here they are. followed by a similar band, mad marge and the stone cutters

#11 SIlhouette

SIlhouette

Megabyte

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:21 AM

Never heard of Blood Stained Child but I very much like what I hear and will DL a discography as soon as I can.

Heavens a Lie is the first Lacuna Coil song I ever heard aswell :) and I am a huge Nightwish fan. I prefer the new Nightwish singer over the old one that got preggers and had to leave.

I'm surprised that The Cranberries have not been talked about yet, Irish Vocals in the rock genre is the best invention ever, the bands work is not the most complex but I have a strong appreciation for them.

Lori Meyers who guests to sing a song by the same name for NOFX, Female punk vocals are awesome. Just don't download the version where Eric Melvan sings the female part, he does it scarily well and you will get rocked to the bone when you find out the singer was him.

I have to mention Sarah Brightman also, she has incredible vocals and has done some amazing collaborations with Andre Bocelli.

Janes Addiction anyone and what about Milla Yovovich who did vocals for Pusicfer - The Mission and REV 22:20.

One from Aussieland, Ella Hooper from Killing Heidi, pretty cool voice but the band is quite simple.

Lori Lewis form Therion which is a goth metal band, but they do some interesting things, I would say her voice is rather standard operatic but it goes well in the Therion mix.

There are sooo many, I love female vocals when they are done well, and especially in metal and rock.

#12 Matty_poo

Matty_poo

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

changing it up again with agent M from Tsunami Bomb (now defunct) and Roxy Epoxy of The Epoxies (also now defunct)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=dkzIzEsAtgA
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=r0RbIWQV3aE

#13 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

Just stumbled onto this band recently:

And these guys I've enjoyed for a long time. Warning: Depressing as hell.

I don't think he needs to be immortal. I think all he needs to do is to write the right story. Because some stories do live forever.

#14 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

How did we forget Tori Amos?

#15 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationThe latest Smash Major

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

I have a friend of mine who is very talented at singing but her parents won't give her lessons even though she has a good shot at becoming a musician >.<
She writes original songs too, so she doesn't just do covers.
Spoiler

You can check her song out here (No she is not paying me for all the promotion this is entirely of my own free will).

After listening to the other songs in this thread I suppose this type of music doesn't belong here.....whatever! *hits post*

fl9Uov4.gif

#16 SIlhouette

SIlhouette

Megabyte

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

I hate to break this to you man but 1000 sales over itunes is about $500. In Australia at least its 600 a term for my guitar lessons and the price is the same i think for vocals... and thats if the song sells and she gets complete distribution pay which if she had to pay for a digital distribution fee would mean she gets about 8 cents per song instead of the 50 cents i used for the earlier calculation, this lowers the pay even more to about $80.

Itunes sucks everything from the music industry.

I had a listen and think her voice could mature quite well, it's not in my tastes but will likely develop into what I listen to when she gets older. She does need to do some courses on vocal care I noticed a few habits she uses which are not that good on the larynx such as strained falsetto and it sounded like she was using her voice box to help articulate sound which can be very bad for the thyroarytenoid muscle.

#17 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

Bandcamp would probably be more useful for that.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#18 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

I hate to break this to you man but 1000 sales over itunes is about $500. In Australia at least its 600 a term for my guitar lessons and the price is the same i think for vocals... and thats if the song sells and she gets complete distribution pay which if she had to pay for a digital distribution fee would mean she gets about 8 cents per song instead of the 50 cents i used for the earlier calculation, this lowers the pay even more to about $80.

Itunes sucks everything from the music industry.

I had a listen and think her voice could mature quite well, it's not in my tastes but will likely develop into what I listen to when she gets older. She does need to do some courses on vocal care I noticed a few habits she uses which are not that good on the larynx such as strained falsetto and it sounded like she was using her voice box to help articulate sound which can be very bad for the thyroarytenoid muscle.

The lessons would be $20 a week.

The song would be $1.29, most likely.
By the way, you realize that's for major record labels, right? Since they're guaranteed to pull a lot of money, Apple takes more from them.
You can't get a label unless you sell 20 albums or more on iTunes, and well.

So, let's do some math!

Let's assume that this friend of mine uses CD Baby to get through to iTunes and other major music sellers. This gets you on multiple things including Amazon.
So, my friend was planning on releasing 4 songs but I convinced her to do 8 because that is the cutoff to be considered an album and overall she'd make more. The initial payment is $40 per album and $10 per single on CDBaby, so you see my point.
So, we're going to assume that 1,000 sales come from each major platform. There is another fee for CD Baby to give you a barcode for iTunes, but we'll worry about that later.
The album would be $8, so I'm going to balance it out and just say $1,000 dollars earned in total, and then I will redo the math with the $1.29 dollar one.
Also, to be fair, I'm going to say there are 1,000 iTunes sales and use proportions (the proportion of iTunes users to Zune users or Amazon MP3 users, that is) to determine how many sales would be on that particular platform.
Man I love math.....
Now, iTunes has roughly 64% of the market, and it's the clear leader currently.
Amazon has 16%,
and Google Play, eMusic, Rhapsody, and Zune all have 5% or lower. However, there is 20% left, so all 4 will be computed at 5% total (this is because I couldn't find exact percentages to compute with). So:
1,000 sales on iTunes with 64% market share is equivalent to:
250 sales on Amazon
and 78.125 sales on Google Play, eMusic, Rhapsody and Zune.
iTunes takes 30% of sales, shockingly.

So, for a 1 dollar song:
$1,000 earned. Taking 30% away, we have a grand total of $700.
Can't party just yet though.
CD Baby takes 9% of the proceedings, so that's $637.
Still, $637 isn't too shabby!
Let's move on to Amazon.
From multiple sources I got a number around 30%.
So, let's do the math again.
$250 earned - 30% is $175 earned.
Take away the other 9% and you get $159.25
Google Play ALSO does 30% taken off.
$78.125 (sorry for the decimals now I'll round it off at the end) - 30% = $54.6875 *shudders* that's a hideous decimal.
Again taking away 9%, and you get $49.765625. Holy shit, that's ugly.
eMusic takes away 40%.
$78.125 - 40% = $46.875
- 9% = $42.65625.
Rhapsody pays a penny per stream.
...so I'm going to still stick with the 78.125 number of streams.
78.125 cents - 9% = 71.09375 cents.
God that's an ugly number....
Finally, Zune.
I'll throw in Spotify and Pandora later.
Alright, here Zune is: 2.8 cents per song.
Assuming 78.125 streams, that's $2.1875.
Alright, $2.1875 - 9% = $1.990625
Geezus, that's ugly!
So, to sum up:
$637+$159.25+$49.77+$42.66+$0.71+$1.99=$891.38 for a 1 dollar song.

For a 1.29 dollar song....
iTunes: $1,300 dollars earned, 30% taken away leaving $910, - 9% = $828.10
Amazon: $325 earned, taking away 30% is $227.5, and taking away the other 9% is $207.025
Google Play: $101.5625-30% = $71.09375 - 9% = $64.6953125
eMusic: $101.5625-40%=$60.9375-9%=$55.453125
Rhapsody and Zune would be the same, so adding it all up:
$828.10+$207.03+$64.70+$55.50+$0.71+$1.99=$1,158.03
Damn impressive....
Now, of course, we must factor the costs of using CD Baby.
$40 dollars for an album, plus $20 more for a UFC thingy.
So, that's -$60 each.
For a 1 dollar song, the total would be $831.38, and for a $1.29 song, that would add up to $1,098.03
Feel free to redo all the math with the percentages you find, for both a dollar and a dollar 30 song, just make sure to do the correct proportions so data can be compared.

Edited by DifferentTurret, 18 February 2013 - 01:52 PM.

fl9Uov4.gif

#19 Matty_poo

Matty_poo

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

Emilie Autumn, I love her...like a lot.

also Epica, another female lead metal band. Also can we please leave the whole itunes vs everything else for a separate thread?

#20 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

It's not iTunes vs. everything else, it's more of how much profit you'd make selling on it and others combined (that's what CD Boy does)

fl9Uov4.gif