15 replies to this topic

#1 Fox The Cat

Fox The Cat

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationEmerald Hill

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:16 PM

I want to major in science, but I am not sure what classes to take and what kind of "scientist" I want to be. I enjoy biology and studying evolution. A chemist sounds interesting, but I heard if you don't go for the right thing you might end up cleaning rat cages. I just am looking for someone to tell me what classes in College I would need to take to become a Biologist I guess. The only school that I may want to go to is Humboldt (btw the creator of Spongebob went there). It is a good school for marine biology. It is still in California which I like a lot, but it doesn't have to be in the west coast. It would be better if it was in "SoCal". San Diego county or any where in that vicinity around an hour and forty-five minutes, but location isn't everything. So I got off topic, but please tell me what I need to do to become a biologist, not a person that cleans rat cages.

you innocent... fucking... fox... 

#2 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:16 AM

Go for Biology and Genetic, then in seven years, create these.

Seriously, genetic research will explode in the coming decade.

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store

#3 SIlhouette

SIlhouette

Megabyte

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

1: They will end up like me in that I can eat a ton of food per day and not get fat.

2: If they don't eat then they will become so thin that they become weak, unless they recruit fat soldiers...

3: Regrowing limbs sounds awesome, who said in the "moral ethical line" thread that they wanted to be a science guinea pig? :P

#4 Matty_poo

Matty_poo

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:06 AM

1: They will end up like me in that I can eat a ton of food per day and not get fat.

2: If they don't eat then they will become so thin that they become weak, unless they recruit fat soldiers...

3: Regrowing limbs sounds awesome, who said in the "moral ethical line" thread that they wanted to be a science guinea pig? :P

That was me, they say they got the know how to regrown limbs, I say chop one off and give me a new one, heck give me three so I'll have four arms. I'll be goro.

Mighty horse rocks, he rocks the fat ass. 

youtube.com/Geekcitypodcast

soundcloud.com/newgeekcity

#5 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:38 AM

Are you in high school, Fox? Here's what I'd recommend. Pick a few colleges you want to go to, go to their website, and find their list of programs. I did a little research and this is the list for Humboldt: http://www.humboldt....t/programs/type

Now click on any program that interests you and check out the three links in the catalog information in the middle column, as well as the description on the left. Here's the biology page.

Now in the program requirements PDF, it says: "Biology: In high school take biology, chemistry, and physics (with labs), plus algebra (beginning and intermediate), trigonometry, and geometry. "

That's probably going to be about the same for every science related program in any university. Don't worry if you're out of high school or can't take one of those courses, call up the admissions office for the university and ask about a way around it. Your first year is usually repetition of what you learned in high school, anyway.

Don't let what others tell you stop you from doing what you want to do with your life. If you want to study chemistry, then do it. Just having that degree means something to employers, and it opens up so many doors. You won't get stuck cleaning cages, I promise, that's just people throwing around rumours. People are still taking degrees in philosophy, even with people joking that later down the road, they will be saying, "Why do you want fries with that?"

As for picking colleges. I'd say wherever you go, you're going to get the same education. I picked my university because it was cheap and in my parent's home province. But it could be as simple as you like their campus.

Good luck!

#6 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationThe latest Smash Major

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:28 AM

Wherever you go, these will look impressive on a college application:

Stupendous ACT/SAT score (I'm talking high 20's-30's score, a bit below that is fine, but colleges will be lining up if you get a 36....or not....but that type of thing looks wonderful).

Chemistry (Especially Honors)

Lots of AP and Honors

Lots of extracurricular activities/other stuff you do (i.e. play the violin/cello? Some competitions can go on your resume)

Essentially, they want interesting people who are intelligent and have good grades.

fl9Uov4.gif

#7 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

I firmly believe that physics is king.
If you have a strong grasp of physics, all other sciences are easier to understand.

That being said, do whatever the hell you want.
There is a time and place for all scientists.
If you pursue the field that interest you most, regardless of where you end up in that field you should be happy.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#8 Silver_rose

Silver_rose

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationLoading...

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

Oh you suck so much :P

I store EVERYTHING
Damn my body for having an efficient storage system!
Good for apocalypses, bad for "civilised society"

Because I can...

#9 tlh1123

tlh1123

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

I was going to go for a major in Biology awhile back and then I decided to go into Pharmaceuticals. While I'm not in college, but fastly approaching, I was told that I needed many biology classes of course, defiantly needed some chemistry, at least 2 math classes (something like that), and I think I needed some health classes as well for anatomy. Might have some of that wrong but its just a general idea.

They will work with you and help you set up classes. Also don't be worried that you don't know what type of scientist you want to be. If I remember correctly, around 80% of freshman entering college have no idea what they want to be and those that do either change it or discover it. Give it a year or a few months. You'll have time :) (Also, not sure where you are in college or if in college at all so I threw the freshman thing in there just to show your not the only one!)
Posted Image

Misa: I can’t even imagine a world without Light
L: Yes, it would be quite dark.
(Death Note)

#10 Fox The Cat

Fox The Cat

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationEmerald Hill

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

Sadly, I'm pretty bad at school. I've always been slow. I have a 2.29 GPA and getting it up for the end of the year seems impossible. I only do well in biology...

you innocent... fucking... fox... 

#11 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

Stupendous ACT/SAT score (I'm talking high 20's-30's score, a bit below that is fine, but colleges will be lining up if you get a 36....or not....but that type of thing looks wonderful).

Lol. This made me giggle, somehow. I don't want someone who made a 30 on the SAT to be fiddling around with the genetics of men with guns.

But yeah, I got 30’s on my test (except math, it was 24. Stupid math) and they took an interest.

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store

#12 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

I took the ACT last Saturday, and then a year to the day before that.

English: 32
Reading: 29
Science: 24
Math: 22

This year I feel I did a lot better.

fl9Uov4.gif

#13 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

Do Americans have to pass in a resume with their college applications? I literally just sent in an application and my transcript and was accepted. They knew nothing outside of my grades. I don't think they care much about anything else here/

#14 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

Do Americans have to pass in a resume with their college applications? I literally just sent in an application and my transcript and was accepted. They knew nothing outside of my grades. I don't think they care much about anything else here/

It depends on the school, but it's not uncommon to write an essay or other seemingly irrelevant-for-them-to-take-your-money stuff.

#15 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:33 AM

What school did you apply to?!

fl9Uov4.gif

#16 SIlhouette

SIlhouette

Megabyte

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:38 AM

I just handed in a resume and I got into uni easy, I did apply as a mature entrant which means 3 years out of school or more.