17 replies to this topic

#1 Delta22

Delta22

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

i want to use my computer as a server for my website, can i do that. if so, how?
i'd really appreciate help.

Programmer(in training), hacker(in minimal training), good with computers and mature, all you need to know about me but feel free to talk to me, contact me or whatever, i am no danger.

#2 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:22 AM

Set up XAMPP or LAMPP (preferably LAMPP in a VM) open a port to it, and either get a static IP or Dynamic DNS so that you can reliably point to it away from your computer.

Realistically though, you'd be better off with a simple free host or a cheap paid one for just a normal website.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#3 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:29 AM

What language is your website done in? Don't you guys have data caps in Australia as well?

#4 Delta22

Delta22

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

(a data cap is the bandwidth, yes?) then yes but sooner or later im getting optic fibre, i have not made my website yet and i only know a little about c#, not really any web langauges. so any really.

Programmer(in training), hacker(in minimal training), good with computers and mature, all you need to know about me but feel free to talk to me, contact me or whatever, i am no danger.

#5 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

Well, you need to know what you're going to use before you set up a server. If you're doing .NET you need to use IIS, if you're doing PHP you'll want apache/XAMPP/LAMPP

#6 Delta22

Delta22

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

Well, you need to know what you're going to use before you set up a server. If you're doing .NET you need to use IIS, if you're doing PHP you'll want apache/XAMPP/LAMPP

which one is the easiest to use?

#7 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

That's entirely opinion based, lol...

#8 SIlhouette

SIlhouette

Megabyte

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

I think he meant "Cap" as in your monthly usage. Bandwidth is your maximum internet speed.

Delta I just noticed you have asked how to do a lot of stuff on here, You should focus on a single project and get it to completion before setting your eyes on another prize.

#9 Delta22

Delta22

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

I think he meant "Cap" as in your monthly usage. Bandwidth is your maximum internet speed.

Delta I just noticed you have asked how to do a lot of stuff on here, You should focus on a single project and get it to completion before setting your eyes on another prize.

yes, i do tend to do that - sorry.
and i've got 200gb of cap each month, hoping to upgrade my plan sometime to 500gb but i dont know when thats going to happen

#10 SIlhouette

SIlhouette

Megabyte

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

yes, i do tend to do that - sorry.
and i've got 200gb of cap each month, hoping to upgrade my plan sometime to 500gb but i dont know when thats going to happen

Hehe you don't need to apologize, I am a big fan of learning and you should continue asking any questions you have, I'm just thinking you will master things quicker if you devote a lot of time into one area as oppose to spreading out your time in many areas.

200 is very decent, I have a 200gb limit at 20M/b up and 5M/b down...

So stupid that the company measures in MegaBits, they should just say its about 1.5 megabytes a second... *Grumble Grumble*

#11 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

Hehe you don't need to apologize, I am a big fan of learning and you should continue asking any questions you have, I'm just thinking you will master things quicker if you devote a lot of time into one area as oppose to spreading out your time in many areas.

200 is very decent, I have a 200gb limit at 20M/b up and 5M/b down...

So stupid that the company measures in MegaBits, they should just say its about 1.5 megabytes a second... *Grumble Grumble*

Bigger numbers sell more.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#12 SIlhouette

SIlhouette

Megabyte

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

Bigger numbers sell more.

yeah but that doesn't make it any less annoying :-/

#13 Delta22

Delta22

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

That's entirely opinion based, lol...

whats your opinion?

#14 Delta22

Delta22

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

wouldnt html work on all servers?

#15 SIlhouette

SIlhouette

Megabyte

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

:o

#16 Delta22

Delta22

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:54 AM

:o

What do you mean?

#17 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

I guess if you only wanted to have static content, but your website wouldn't be serving too much of a purpose then.

#18 ITblasters

ITblasters

Byte

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:10 AM

If you are using window then go for wamp..
for Macantosh go for mamp or you linux user then go to lamp...