• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Kaytiii

Kaytiii

Byte

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

So I'm a Biology major and in a Botany class I'm taking this semester we were breaking down the processes behind photosynthesis. In doing this, my processor got to a point in which she said "And to continue any further, we must now examine the nature of light energy." First of all, the way she phrased me made me feel like an apprentice wizard, which is always a great feeling. Second of all, I learned that day that light and energy are amazing and fascinating things. The electromagnetic spectrum is just...so interesting! It made me think about a lot about the state of energy and matter and the bridge between the two and how they are really one in the same and whatnot.

The thing is, whenever I learn something that I find interesting I have the insatiable desire to tell my boyfriend and my closest friends about it. Upon recounting what I'd learned about light, my boyfriend gave me this ridiculous smirk and told me that I sounded like and adorable little hippie stoner.

Ya know, I can't help it if the natural world is the most fascinating and amazing thing ever. How can you not be totally amazed at the fact that we experience various frequencies of the same type of energy on a spectrum in different ways?

#2 SIlhouette

SIlhouette

Megabyte

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

Pink is not a colour!

God I love science!

#3 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

What I find fascinating on that subject is how little of the spectrum plants actually use, compared to what's available to them. I've got a grid of LED's, that if I remember correctly is 4 red to each blue. Using just that, no other source I've been able to grow all sorts of things.

Pink is not a colour!

God I love science!

I hate trying to explain this to people.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#4 Silver_rose

Silver_rose

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationLoading...

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

Pink is not a colour!

:(

Oh well, I still like it.
It still gets love.

Because I can...

#5 Kaytiii

Kaytiii

Byte

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

Pink is not a colour!

God I love science!

There could be no better reply, sir.

#6 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

Okay then... There's my mindblowing knowledge for the evening

#7 SIlhouette

SIlhouette

Megabyte

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

There could be no better reply, sir.

Why do you think I am male? Just curious.

#8 Kaytiii

Kaytiii

Byte

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

Why do you think I am male? Just curious.

I could have sworn you said something about being a guy on another thread. Did I remember incorrectly?

#9 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationThe latest Smash Major

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

So I'm a Biology major and in a Botany class I'm taking this semester we were breaking down the processes behind photosynthesis. In doing this, my processor got to a point in which she said "And to continue any further, we must now examine the nature of light energy." First of all, the way she phrased me made me feel like an apprentice wizard, which is always a great feeling. Second of all, I learned that day that light and energy are amazing and fascinating things. The electromagnetic spectrum is just...so interesting! It made me think about a lot about the state of energy and matter and the bridge between the two and how they are really one in the same and whatnot.

The thing is, whenever I learn something that I find interesting I have the insatiable desire to tell my boyfriend and my closest friends about it. Upon recounting what I'd learned about light, my boyfriend gave me this ridiculous smirk and told me that I sounded like and adorable little hippie stoner.

Ya know, I can't help it if the natural world is the most fascinating and amazing thing ever. How can you not be totally amazed at the fact that we experience various frequencies of the same type of energy on a spectrum in different ways?

Wait, in laymen's terms, are you saying that my red might be someone else's green and it might be totally normal?
I may have misread that, but I'm only in Honors Biology right now, I'm not that high up >.<

But I've always wondered that my red might be someone else's green and I would be totally amazed if this were true.

fl9Uov4.gif

#10 Kaytiii

Kaytiii

Byte

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

Wait, in laymen's terms, are you saying that my red might be someone else's green and it might be totally normal?
I may have misread that, but I'm only in Honors Biology right now, I'm not that high up >.<

But I've always wondered that my red might be someone else's green and I would be totally amazed if this were true.

I was actually referring to the fact that we experience part of the electromagnetic spectrum as light and color but on the same spectrum are also radio waves, microwaves, gamma rays, ect.

Though I've always wondered how other people see colors. Perhaps we all seem them differently, at least slightly differently. I suppose there's no way of knowing really.

#11 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

The electromagnetic spectrum, for those who don't understand how the visual spectrum fits in with everything else:
Posted Image

I was actually referring to the fact that we experience part of the electromagnetic spectrum as light and color but on the same spectrum are also radio waves, microwaves, gamma rays, ect.

Though I've always wondered how other people see colors. Perhaps we all seem them differently, at least slightly differently. I suppose there's no way of knowing really.

LD50 on here is colorblind, and can shed quite a bit of light on how people can see colors differently, I've always found it fascinating.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#12 Matty_poo

Matty_poo

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

Actually Kaytiii, Spleen, there are many theories that suggest that EVERYONE experiences reality differently, and that when we no longer see it reality itself ceases. There is also this (wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt) http://en.wikipedia....mulated_reality

Mighty horse rocks, he rocks the fat ass. 

youtube.com/Geekcitypodcast

soundcloud.com/newgeekcity

#13 SIlhouette

SIlhouette

Megabyte

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:27 PM

Plato's Cave!!

God I love philosophy! (I hope someone knows what I am referring too, I really don't want to explain this one)

and I highly doubt I stated my gender, I was curious from an... I suppose you could say Quasi Anthropological/Philosophical/Psychological viewpoint. When people guess my gender they usually say male, this happens on many sites, which is why I am curious as to the cause of gender profiling, and is there a unified male persona or female persona? Do we categorize people subconsciously into these without meaning to do so? Most intriguingly how often are people correct?

I have a suspicion that its personality substitution, we create attributes that we can't guess about a person, in doing this we complete the person so we feel more comfortable talking to them.

hmm I need more data...

#14 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:21 AM

Plato's Cave!!

God I love philosophy! (I hope someone knows what I am referring too, I really don't want to explain this one)

and I highly doubt I stated my gender,

From: What is the moral/ethical line that science should not cross?

“I'm not a change the world kind of guy, I just want to look out for me and my family.”

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store

#15 SIlhouette

SIlhouette

Megabyte

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:27 AM

Ahh guy as in male...

Fair enough!

#16 Silver_rose

Silver_rose

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationLoading...

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:58 AM

When people guess my gender they usually say male, this happens on many sites, which is why I am curious as to the cause of gender profiling, and is there a unified male persona or female persona? Do we categorize people subconsciously into these without meaning to do so? Most intriguingly how often are people correct?

I have a suspicion that its personality substitution, we create attributes that we can't guess about a person, in doing this we complete the person so we feel more comfortable talking to them.

What are you talking about? Females on the internet? Don't be silly!

:P

But seriously -

is there a unified male persona or female persona

... No...
But yes.

Because I can...

#17 Kaytiii

Kaytiii

Byte

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:02 AM

Plato's Cave!!

and I highly doubt I stated my gender, I was curious from an... I suppose you could say Quasi Anthropological/Philosophical/Psychological viewpoint. When people guess my gender they usually say male, this happens on many sites, which is why I am curious as to the cause of gender profiling, and is there a unified male persona or female persona? Do we categorize people subconsciously into these without meaning to do so? Most intriguingly how often are people correct?

hmm I need more data...

It was really nothing this serious, haha. I actually, genuinely thought you identified yourself as male. I could have sworn you said something like "I'm a huge metal head guy" or something like that. But upon inspection you did not. And, I know that you have no way of knowing this, but I'm definitely one of the last people to assume that you're any gender just because of reasons.

Also, I get why people like the allegory of the cave so much. But I just can't get all that excited about it because I really don't like Plato. He believed that science (and, by proxy, philosophy) were only for a select few, an elite group of a small percentage of the human population. He also thought that the state should raise children, but that's another discussion entirely.

If I'm going with one of the big three old Greek guys, it's going to be Aristotle. But I'm not much for general philosophy as it exists today. Every hipster I meet that says "Omg, I loooove philosophy 5ever" proceeds to launch into a rant that proves that they have little understanding of the natural world at least and even less understanding of the people in it. You can sit and philosophize all day based on your own experiences and the writings of old, dead people, but you can't contribute in any way without a fundamental understanding of how things are as we know them now.

Not saying you're one of those people Sll, I'm just saying that those people have left a bad taste in my mouth for philosophic discussion.

#18 SIlhouette

SIlhouette

Megabyte

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

That is a very fair call B)

I was actually expanding upon the idea of reality not being perceived but for the shadows on the wall, and saying everyones shadow is different! I actually subscribe to the belief that everyones reality is very different but it is not measurable because the processes and outcome is the same. When someones processes or outcome is different though, we then label that person as crazy. If we all have a different notion of what our world is though, then underneath we are all crazy :-D

Sorry, just some random mumblings ^.^

Edit: (Add) When i first started looking into academic philosophy I tried to read Dantes Inferno, my mind jumped out of my body and refused to come back until I stopped reading it.

#19 Kaytiii

Kaytiii

Byte

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

That is a very fair call B)

I was actually expanding upon the idea of reality not being perceived but for the shadows on the wall, and saying everyones shadow is different! I actually subscribe to the belief that everyones reality is very different but it is not measurable because the processes and outcome is the same. When someones processes or outcome is different though, we then label that person as crazy. If we all have a different notion of what our world is though, then underneath we are all crazy :-D

I understand. I think that's an idea that anyone would be naive not to at least consider.

#20 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

When people guess my gender they usually say male, this happens on many sites, which is why I am curious as to the cause of gender profiling, and is there a unified male persona or female persona? Do we categorize people subconsciously into these without meaning to do so? Most intriguingly how often are people correct?

Certain things are more effeminate than others - these attributes we will associate with one gender or the other. (and gender is thus translated to sex)
It's just part of how we think/learn. Let's pretend there's an ethnicity of humans that have green skin. You've met nine green skins and come across a tenth; the other nine have all punched you in the face. If you see the tenth, despite knowing that the tenth is not one of the nine you have previously met, you would assume that the tenth would punch you in the face.

When we talk about gender/sex profiling it's obviously a lot more complicated (a significant amount of factors) but it's the same basic concept. Tone of voice in writing, name, stance points on certain issues, icon, etc.

More or less, yes. We fill in the blanks as best we can with anything.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: light, energy, physics, light spectrum