10 replies to this topic

#1 veryangryfairy

veryangryfairy

Byte

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDK

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

I can't believe there's not a topic about this. o.o (I didn't know where to post, because it's for both console and pc.)

So! I know it's not brand new, and Giants has been released since, but I haven't tried this till recently. My boyfriend bought it for his daughter (she's almost 4, and loves to watch us play games like Skyrim or Crash Bandicoot), but she wasn't really interested in this. Only the cute little figures seemed to catch her attention, but no fun when she can't actually play with them.
Some of you might find it strange that she likes games like that, but she's a very intelligent and smart little girl. She also loves Star Wars, and one of her favourite "songs" is the Imperial March.

Anyway! Since she didn't like it, my boyfriend and I started playing it. We were thrilled when we found out you can play the actual game together, and not only the battle part. And o ma gawd. It's brilliant, and oh so funny! He had got the 3 characters that were with the game, and another one. Two days later we went out and bought 7 more. Seven, yes. So now we have 11 and we're hooked. Haha.

So I suppose the actual purpose of this thread is to express my excitement and amazement. But what about you? Tried it? Like it? Why?

#2 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

I played around with it in a Future Shop a while ago.
It struck me as a very cool way to go about gaming.
A perfect tool for getting young people in to video games.

I would never buy it myself, but that does not remove from how clever it is.
It played like any other game in its genre, but the methods of character selection is both financially and creatively genius.
The company makes more money when you buy new characters, and kids get a new toy to literally and digitally play with.
Clever, clever game developers.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#3 veryangryfairy

veryangryfairy

Byte

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDK

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

Very clever. The game is a permission to print money. And that doesn't make me love it any less.

#4 Matty_poo

Matty_poo

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

From a tech stand point it's super cool, physical DLC, minus the D I suppose. Like Affray I have no real interest in the particular game, but totally appreciate the innovation aspect.

Mighty horse rocks, he rocks the fat ass. 

youtube.com/Geekcitypodcast

soundcloud.com/newgeekcity

#5 twa

twa

The Actual Administrator

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

As a crazed Spyro fan, personally I don't really mind the changes the characters and game play has had, I was alright with it up till now. Skylanders is just.. that's not Spyro.

I think the idea of this game is nice and all but I'm not much of a gamer anymore anyways. I'll stick to my old play station, thanks.

Tho I plan to eventually play it, when I have enough money to spare. If I ever do.

Zi9JkgO.gif

あ な た を 信 じ て い る 私 を 信 じ て 

#6 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationThe latest Smash Major

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

As a crazed Spyro fan, personally I don't really mind the changes the characters and game play has had, I was alright with it up till now. Skylanders is just.. that's not Spyro.

I think the idea of this game is nice and all but I'm not much of a gamer anymore anyways. I'll stick to my old play station, thanks.

Tho I plan to eventually play it, when I have enough money to spare. If I ever do.

I agree completely with this.

Also, I don't recall having seen you before, but you seem nice, so hello! :D

fl9Uov4.gif

#7 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

I was semi-tempted by it, but to be honest it seems like a shitty cashgrab. The figurines are quite expensive, and I would assume they have little to no resale value.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#8 tlh1123

tlh1123

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

It was pretty expensive and still kinda is considering all the figures and such you can choose to buy.

At first I thought it was just a huge way for a company to make money and the game wasn't going to be worth anything. However that's not the case I've seen thus far.

I was watching someone play it today and it seemed surprisingly interesting! The game didn't seem half bad and seemed to have an alright story line. So yeah it exceeded my expectations! Looking forward to possibly purchasing it or at least playing it with some friends if they get it. I think it will be fun! :)
Posted Image

Misa: I can’t even imagine a world without Light
L: Yes, it would be quite dark.
(Death Note)

#9 DaRatmastah

DaRatmastah

Captain Overexcited Cyclops

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

Luckily, I have a four year old so I get to try out all the young kid games without looking weird at gamestop =P We have Skylanders: Giants(he got it for christmas), and holy cow it's way more fun than it has any right being. Really cool concept, too! We have a whole shelf full of characters already, and I'm sure we'll get more soon =D

#10 twa

twa

The Actual Administrator

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:31 AM

I agree completely with this.

Also, I don't recall having seen you before, but you seem nice, so hello! :D

Heh, well I used to be very active last year (ask anybody, I was a spam tumor) when I joined but I've become a bit of a lurker now a days. Nice to meet you fellow nerd.

Zi9JkgO.gif

あ な た を 信 じ て い る 私 を 信 じ て 

#11 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

Ditto. I was obsessed with Spyro for the PS1. I hate this game on principle.

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif