18 replies to this topic

#1 Delta22

Delta22

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:59 AM

Hello, can anyone please give me a list to a few good tools/programs for windows?
i would appreciate it alot, thanx

Programmer(in training), hacker(in minimal training), good with computers and mature, all you need to know about me but feel free to talk to me, contact me or whatever, i am no danger.

#2 Dasherman

Dasherman

Megabyte

• Members
  • 496 posts
  • LocationAzeroth and Sanctuary, simultaneously by using quantum powers

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:17 AM

Tools to do what with?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
(//MihiPotestasSit\\)

#3 Delta22

Delta22

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:19 AM

Tools to do what with?

anything really, to accelerate windows, compression, recovery, delete logs, etc.....
anything good and useful

Programmer(in training), hacker(in minimal training), good with computers and mature, all you need to know about me but feel free to talk to me, contact me or whatever, i am no danger.

#4 Dasherman

Dasherman

Megabyte

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

Do you have WinRar and CCleaner?
Also consider getting FireFox/Chrome and an antivirus (I can't help you with that, I only use the standard MS protection).
(//MihiPotestasSit\\)

#5 Delta22

Delta22

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

yes and yes, although winrar is abit slow im useing 7zip at the moment.
chrome takes too much memory, i havent looked at firefox yet im currently using internet explorer. i have no antivirus cause last time i had one it was hell the antivirus became the damn virus, it froze my computer and kept giving me BSOD's

#6 Dasherman

Dasherman

Megabyte

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

If you're a gamer, Fraps could be useful. Shows your FPS and records your gameplay. You could also get uTorrent for your torrenting needs and Daemon Tools (Lite) for mounting .isos (did I spell that right?).
Also, Dropbox could be handy, if you have multiple devices. It synchronises your files (you can pick a folder to synchronise), so that all your devices have up to date files, if you're working on something, or want to acces something while you're away from home.
(//MihiPotestasSit\\)

#7 Dasherman

Dasherman

Megabyte

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

Also, check this site, there could be useful things:
http://www.filehippo.com/
(//MihiPotestasSit\\)

#8 Delta22

Delta22

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

If you're a gamer, Fraps could be useful. Shows your FPS and records your gameplay. You could also get uTorrent for your torrenting needs and Daemon Tools (Lite) for mounting .isos (did I spell that right?).
Also, Dropbox could be handy, if you have multiple devices. It synchronises your files (you can pick a folder to synchronise), so that all your devices have up to date files, if you're working on something, or want to acces something while you're away from home.

im not really a gamer, the games cost way too much.
which one is the best? vuze, bitcomet or utorrent or other? (if you download torrents maybe you could help out starx404? http://nerdforum.org...2413-downloads/)
i've got daemon tools, and im sure its .ISO's
i'll deffinetly look into dropbox.

#9 Dasherman

Dasherman

Megabyte

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:01 AM

im not really a gamer, the games cost way too much.
which one is the best? vuze, bitcomet or utorrent or other? (if you download torrents maybe you could help out starx404? http://nerdforum.org...2413-downloads/)
i've got daemon tools, and im sure its .ISO's
i'll deffinetly look into dropbox.

Vuze, bittorent, utorrent, it doesn't really matter. Just pick the one you like the look and UI of best.
(//MihiPotestasSit\\)

#10 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:04 AM

If Chrome "uses too much memory" I'd advise throwing your computer out of a window, because very few of the tools listed here will be of any use to you. >_>

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#11 Delta22

Delta22

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:07 AM

If Chrome "uses too much memory" I'd advise throwing your computer out of a window, because very few of the tools listed here will be of any use to you. >_>

1. chrome uses too much of my ram. it + other programs freaze my computer.
2. id rather keep my computer.
3. "because very few of the tools listed here will be of any use to you. >_>" i bet you can list good tools then?

#12 Dasherman

Dasherman

Megabyte

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:08 AM

Oops, didn't read that edit.
Nah, if you have that little RAM, I'd advise you to buy some RAM strips first. They're not too expensive and you'll notice the difference immediately.
(//MihiPotestasSit\\)

#13 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:14 AM

1. chrome uses too much of my ram. it + other programs freaze my computer.
2. id rather keep my computer.
3. "because very few of the tools listed here will be of any use to you. >_>" i bet you can list good tools then?

Chrome's requirements are quite low. If you can't use it without issues, your computer definitely needs some upgrading. Either that, or you're going to be stuck with substandard programs such as Internet Explorer (which some websites aren't coded for, so display incorrectly/do not work right).

Additionally, if an antivirus gave you BSOD you DEFINITELY need to upgrade your hardware, and then get a reliable antivirus. Many people can get by without using one at all, if they're smart and only use trusted/safe websites. If you want to use torrents, you're going to need an antivirus in order to be safe. Many torrents are fine, but some aren't, and without any protection you're going to get fucked.

LL1Yc5i.gif

#14 Delta22

Delta22

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

when i download torrents my computer slows down alot and that + chrome running freezes my computer. so if i were to upgrade my computer's hardware what do you think is nice and sutible parts/upgrades?
what is a "reliable" antivirus ?
what does BSOD have to do with hardware?

#15 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

1. Since I don't know your current hardware, I couldn't give you info regarding upgrades properly. But generally extra RAM and a more powerful processor (along with a more powerful PSU) are the main bits to go for. Then maybe look into graphics/video cards.

2. From my personal experience, AVG is a very reliable antivirus program. I've had trouble with a lot of the paid programs like McAfee and Norton, AVG is far more background-orientated, and doesn't encroach on territory it isn't meant to.

3. ...really? I'm too lazy/tired to explain what a BSOD is, so here. http://en.wikipedia....Screen_of_Death Have a read through it.

LL1Yc5i.gif

#16 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

Gizmo Central is nice
http://arainia.com/software/gizmo/

#17 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationThe latest Smash Major

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

1. Since I don't know your current hardware, I couldn't give you info regarding upgrades properly. But generally extra RAM and a more powerful processor (along with a more powerful PSU) are the main bits to go for. Then maybe look into graphics/video cards.

2. From my personal experience, AVG is a very reliable antivirus program. I've had trouble with a lot of the paid programs like McAfee and Norton, AVG is far more background-orientated, and doesn't encroach on territory it isn't meant to.

3. ...really? I'm too lazy/tired to explain what a BSOD is, so here. http://en.wikipedia....Screen_of_Death Have a read through it.

BSOD? More like RBBOD*

Kidding.....

Anyways, I found a program that was for Windows and Mac, but then I realized the Windows counterpart was a virus..... >.<

But another one I found is called Tag: The Power of Paint. It's a game, and is most useful in aiding procrastination.

It IS a good game, but this isn't a game suggestion thread. Program-wise, try things like Skype (it's very useful, personal/work uses both apply).
That's all I got.

fl9Uov4.gif

#18 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

Most BSODs are related to Video Drivers. Update when BSOD occurs with new software. Personally havent seen a BSOD in a while. (cant remember the last time).

#19 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

Hardware instability is a big cause of BSOD's. You'll see a lot when overclocking or working with older stuff.
nmjUGDL.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tools, programs