#1 Sincere Sandwich

Sincere Sandwich

Bit

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

firstpostsorryifbad,thisismyfailsafe:D

Ok, I've never really been able to get into LoL, It might just be my dislike to PvP in general (although I did love Halo for a long time) so I guess that'd make it more about my dislike for fiddly controls at a fast pace. I also don't like getting technical terms shouted at me, maybe I'm just an idiot. Anyway, requesting reasons why you may like or dislike this game :D

Oh and I know there's a post like this out there, but it's more about discussion of the game and characters.

randombit, just watched the end of Wanted and it's stupid as anything :D ignore this

#2 flcl_grim

flcl_grim

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

Ever tried to join a football league with no friends? You might not have very much fun, either.
Play League of Legends on Co-op vs. AI with friends. Learn together, et cetera.

#3 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationThe latest Smash Major

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

Haven't tried it yet. On a scale of 1-10, how much do I need to try it, 1 being don't try it and 10 being 'you haven't lived until you've played this game.'

No more than 10, please, I know people like to exaggerate with 11's and 12's.

fl9Uov4.gif

#4 Dasherman

Dasherman

Megabyte

• Members
  • 496 posts
  • LocationAzeroth and Sanctuary, simultaneously by using quantum powers

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:09 AM

I tried it, but I don't like it.
It was basically DotA, but it felt less balanced.
I also had trouble with all the things copied from DotA.
I suck at both though....
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
(//MihiPotestasSit\\)

#5 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:24 AM

I tried it, but I don't like it.
It was basically DotA, but it felt less balanced.
I suck at both though....

DOTA 2 is worse, imo. I never played the original DOTA, but DOTA 2 feels like LoL if it was shit. They went for a darker graphical theme, but aside from that it's exactly the same. Aside from the fact the controls are wank >.>

OT: I like LoL, even though I don't play it with friends, mainly due to all my LoL-playing friends being in the US, while I'm over here on EUWest with all the fucking non-English people who only know how to type jajajajajajajajajajajajajnoob ajajajajajaj etc. I still enjoy it though. A lot more since I modified the controls, as before I used QWER for abilities, but still used a laptop touchpad for movement, so I was crappy as hell. But since switching to smartcast UIOP I kick ass.

Also, it's heavily based on learning. Learn your preferred roles, learn your preferred champs in that role, pick your favourite champ in that role, learn how to build them effectively. I find a lot of people who dislike LoL, dislike it because they aren't good straight away. That's the point of pvp though. Learn how your enemy thinks, how they play. Then counter. e.g. first tower on top is being pushed by two aggressive champs, but they're low HP. Go through jungle and attack from behind them. Works especially great with Yi or another fast champ like Fiora.

There's quite a few of us here who play, so if you ever feel like picking it up with some friendly games, I'm sure someone would be happy to accommodate.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#6 Sincere Sandwich

Sincere Sandwich

Bit

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:34 AM

Ever tried to join a football league with no friends? You might not have very much fun, either.

Yeah, I did try with a friend who'd played about 3 games before me. He was telling me how to do stuff and it was just annoying me lol, the first game I played I got like 2 kills and just kept dying. The game just makes me feel stupid because I never learnt which items to get and when, I now just get too annoyed to play. I don't know, for me personally I never got instantly sucked in, it's probably just not for me.

#7 Sincere Sandwich

Sincere Sandwich

Bit

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:38 AM

Haven't tried it yet. On a scale of 1-10, how much do I need to try it, 1 being don't try it and 10 being 'you haven't lived until you've played this game.'

No more than 10, please, I know people like to exaggerate with 11's and 12's.

I'd say 8/10 to try it. It's not for everyone but I know when people do like it, they REALLY get into it. If you're ok with burdening your bandwidth with a possibly multiple hour long download of a game you may or may not like then you should definitely give it a go.

#8 Sincere Sandwich

Sincere Sandwich

Bit

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:46 AM

I do like the concept of LoL and using tactics to overcome people, I just think it's as you said, about not being good straight away. It's left a bad impression for me of the game. If I ever get the courage to pick it up again, I'll be sure to ask for some assistance on here :D

#9 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:14 AM

Trust me, when I first started I was getting matches where I'd be 0/20 for kills/deaths. Now in some cases I'm capable of reversing that, but almost always able to maintain a positive set at least. Practice, practice, practice.

LL1Yc5i.gif

#10 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

I don't love it.
It's alright.

My primary qualm with it is the idea of being punished for leaving in the middle of a match. I mean, I understand why, I just don't like it. Sometimes (indeed, often) life interferes with gaming. And yes, in those cases it is acceptable to just endure whatever punishment they put on you because life is more important than games... but it would be better to not be punished at all for your priorities.

I'm also not keen on having a leveling system that resets each match. I find that sorta frustrating. Again, I get it as a mechanic, I just find it displeasing.

Other than that, it's a good game, and well-designed. Hell, including those things it is a good and well-designed game. I think it's just not my preferred sort of game.
I don't think he needs to be immortal. I think all he needs to do is to write the right story. Because some stories do live forever.

#11 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

This, if you play the game by yourself, just winging it to get better, you're going to get roflstomped left and right.

League is a game of learning, through your friends, through your own studies, through watching better players. The more you know about any given mechanic or champion, the more effective you become for your team.

"Copied" is the wrong term.

Icefrog, one of the original creators of DotA [guy who made it the game we all know], works at Riot. The ideas he's "copying" are /his/ ideas. In the same sense DotA2 has some ex-DotA-Allstars creators on the team, but people don't consider it copying because Valve kept the DotA IP.

That's like saying Bunjie's next game copies Halo because Halo is a MS IP now.

I'm also not keen on having a leveling system that resets each match. I find that sorta frustrating. Again, I get it as a mechanic, I just find it displeasing.

I hated that too. After playing Mabi, leveling for no reason seemed like a waste of time. But you have your summoner level, that increases with each game, if that's what you're looking for. You can also make the leveling system work for you, it's a tactical game mechanic like any other.

As for the leave penalty: If it were any other condition, you can be assured that wouldn't be a mechanic. But I understand, real life priorities take priority over a game. I've incurred leaver penalty a couple times, but it hasn't affected my games any. Leaver bans are for chronic cases [eg: trolling, chronic internet problems, etc.], not for people who legitimately have something come up.

#12 Fox The Cat

Fox The Cat

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationEmerald Hill

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

I personally like Dota 2 over LoL... (this isn't meant to start a whole debate over it, it is just an opinion)

you innocent... fucking... fox... 

#13 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

I personally like Dota 2 over LoL... (this isn't meant to start a whole debate over it, it is just an opinion)

You just started playing Dota2, and you've yet to give LoL an honest chance

Your argument is invalid :P

#14 Sincere Sandwich

Sincere Sandwich

Bit

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

I don't love it.
It's alright.

Yeah, I completely agree. I like progression of both me and my character to stay permanent, though I can see how it wouldn't work that way. I think if the player level wasn't capped at 30 or was harder to get to I'd be happier, having a way to show off you achievements and skill other than the way you play seems fun lol.

I think it'd be better if, instead of the current punishment, it just added onto your record which people could look at. Or simply lower the penalty for leaving early.

#15 K_N

K_N

Megabyte

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:11 AM

@Jazz - Being punished for leaving in a match is because if you do that, you have 99% of the time made the efforts of your teammates worthless and guaranteed them a loss. The simple solution is to not play a game if you don't have 30-40 minutes to stay.

Emergency situations are understandable - that's why you don't get punished for ONE leave, but for a pattern of leaves.

Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.

#16 veryangryfairy

veryangryfairy

Byte

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDK

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

I have tried LoL (with friends - someone mentioned friends), and I didn't like it. Angry people, silly game. I don't know, really, it just wasn't for me.

#17 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

Is that how the leaving rule has always been?
I feel like that wasn't how it was explained to me originally, but it could be that I misunderstood, or my cousin explained poorly.

Anyway, like I said, I understand its necessity. I just don't like the idea of it. I'd rather play a game where my participation isn't quite as vital.
I don't think there's anything *wrong* with LoL. I just don't love it. It's a well balanced, well constructed game that is not for me.
I don't think he needs to be immortal. I think all he needs to do is to write the right story. Because some stories do live forever.

#18 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

You only get penalized if you leave multiple games in a row, really. The occasional quit/internet crash won't give you any bad rep or negative effects. I should know, my connection's an arsehole >.>

LL1Yc5i.gif

#19 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

I started playing last year with my boyfriend and a few of his friends. He continued playing and I had to stop after I had a HDD crash and ended up installing Ubuntu on my computer for a while.

I liked the characters and their designs, but I found when we played, everyone would be yelling and even though I was a beginner, I would get blamed for "feeding" the other team. I just didn't like the competitive environment. I'm not really into those sorts of games anyway.

#20 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

At lower levels the community is awful. (not just level but lower matchmaking levels as well) Nobody wants to lose but often times the people crying the loudest are the more daft ones. People love to make poor choices and blame their counterparts for their mistakes which bothers me on another level.

I was doing a ranked match ~2 weeks ago and I had an Olaf on my team feeding a Garen top hard. He had a bad duel early (garen hit 6 mid fight and had the ult, it happens) and just snowballed out of control. I was jungling and I just had to tell him sorry but there's no point in me coming top for a while; let me try to snowball mid and bot and then I'll see if I can recover top. Instead of bitching the guy just does as best he can to hold lane; sho nuff I get a good opportunity to gank for him and we turn his lane around hard and win the game.

Generally speaking there are bads on both teams; be polite and encourage yours to keep trying and carrying games is 10x easier. (unless they refuse to listen to you, then fk them)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: league, of, legends, not, like, does, anyone