#21 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:53 AM

Blind faith is the worst kind of faith.
If you choose to believe in something, don't neglect all other sources of inspiration.

I did this and twelve months later I was an agnostic. xD

I stand firmly in the belief that anyone who seriously questions their faith in the 21st century will eventually flee their religion or at least the organised version of it. Before I became agnostic I spent the last six or so months were the Catholic church probably wouldn't even accept me as one of their own.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#22 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

I did this and twelve months later I was an agnostic. xD

I stand firmly in the belief that anyone who seriously questions their faith in the 21st century will eventually flee their religion or at least the organised version of it. Before I became agnostic I spent the last six or so months were the Catholic church probably wouldn't even accept me as one of their own.

I think that the organization of any religion is usually what sullies it's core purpose.
A belief system is all fine and good, but as soon as you put all those like minded people in a single building they tend to get taken advantage of by their organization, or they become elitist.

Both of which defeat the purpose of any religious institution, which is to spread their own special brand of belief around as far as possible.

As for your situation, aren't the Catholics all about the forgiveness thing?

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#23 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

I think that the organization of any religion is usually what sullies it's core purpose.
A belief system is all fine and good, but as soon as you put all those like minded people in a single building they tend to get taken advantage of by their organization, or they become elitist.

Both of which defeat the purpose of any religious institution, which is to spread their own special brand of belief around as far as possible.

They're also about eternal damnation and inciting war against other faiths. At a diocese level they can be good people but I hate how much power the Pope - a single man - holds.

*shakes anarchist fist*

#24 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

I came across this link on tumblr, I think it's relevent.

http://blaze-ferrari...tion-simplified

#25 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

They're also about eternal damnation and inciting war against other faiths. At a diocese level they can be good people but I hate how much power the Pope - a single man - holds.

*shakes anarchist fist*

Fear not mon frere, atheist is on the rise, and with that will come less power for that fellow.
We just have to hope that scientology doesn't gain any more power and eventually fades away.

I came across this link on tumblr, I think it's relevent.

http://blaze-ferrari...tion-simplified

I love stuff like that.
Clear, simple, riddles with fact and supportive of the evidence we have in the field.
Yet it will be ignored by a startlingly large amount of people.
Sad.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#26 Matty_poo

Matty_poo

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

HA!...sorry, anyway again Jesus tells us to forgive and love those around us but as you said, the actual organization of it (the catholic church) goes against that.

Mighty horse rocks, he rocks the fat ass. 

youtube.com/Geekcitypodcast

soundcloud.com/newgeekcity

#27 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationThe latest Smash Major

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

Yes, the church has a hard time even just forgiving people for being different (which is still kinda wrong IMO).

fl9Uov4.gif

#28 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:04 AM

Kinda wrong?

#29 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

HA!...sorry, anyway again Jesus tells us to forgive and love those around us but as you said, the actual organization of it (the catholic church) goes against that.

A positive message is fine and good.
There is nothing wrong with spreading a good message.
The problem is that when you get too much of a good thing it sullies the original purpose of the message.
It becomes preachy.
Less of a gift, and more of a demand.

Love thy neighbour because it is the right thing to do, turns in to love they neighbour because I said so or you will suffer in eternal damnation.

Kinda wrong?

It is an unavoidable reflex to not trust people that are different.
Though I am sure the "kinda" was just a mannerism, and nothing more.
Even the most tolerant person still has a different chemical/physical reaction when confronted by someone of a different colour/look.
Genetic reflex is a tough thing to avoid.

#30 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

Oh I don't know, I've yet to meet a person that I have no problem with - providing they've not committed any criminal act which has negatively impacted upon the life of someone else. Rape, for instance.

That being said, as far as I'm aware I've never met a rapist.