5 replies to this topic

#1 _-_-___--

_-_-___--

Byte

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

Just wondering. I find most of them to be either hilarious, moving, or sad. There are usually good but I don't know any. I prefer 1st person.

#2 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:04 AM

You mean like mentally disabled people? Maybe a good idea not to use slang...

I've only read one book where I remembered someone who was mentally disabled. In the book Flipped, one of the main characters has an uncle who lives in a home because he cannot take care of himself.

Now I've read a couple books about cancer kids, The Fault in Our Stars and My Sister's Keeper. Both of those I wouldn't recommend them if you don't like to sit there sobbing because it's just so damn sad.

#3 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:55 AM

Yeah, if "tards" is being used in place of mentally handicapped/disabled, it sounds kind of insensitive/rude/asshole.

Try the novel version of Forrest Gump, maybe?

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#4 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationThe latest Smash Major

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

Flowers for Algernon.

It's a story about a mentally retarded 32 year old man with an IQ of 67 (takes place in the 1960's) and is offered to have a surgery that will make him "smarter." It's a very short but interesting read. If you don't want to buy the book, you can probably read the short story online. However, it's really not the same, and you should read the book for the full experience.

EDIT: There's always I Know This Much is True: It's about a 40 year old man who's brother has a mental disease and cuts his arm off thinking that it will stop the Cold War. (Warning, it's NSFW)

fl9Uov4.gif

#5 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

Of Mice and Men, It's a classic for a reason. Plus, after you read it, you'll get references like this.

'Can we give Lenny the rabbit?' They make one in another episode too. Lana's holding the wee baby Shamus and won't give it up. Ray says 'Give her the rabbit, Lenny' implying she's gonna crush it.

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store

#6 _-_-___--

_-_-___--

Byte

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Read all of those >.<