14 replies to this topic

#1 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-21159531

Mozilla has published details of the first smartphones to be powered by its Firefox operating system.

Two handsets are to be made by a small Spanish firm called Geeksphone and will be targeted at developers ahead of the system's formal launch.

The platform is based on the HTML5 web programming language and is being marketed as offering software writers more "freedom" than alternatives.

Neat.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#2 Matty_poo

Matty_poo

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

hey pretty cool, I actually like firefox (running it on right now)

Mighty horse rocks, he rocks the fat ass. 

youtube.com/Geekcitypodcast

soundcloud.com/newgeekcity

#3 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

Well that's nifty.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#4 NervousNerd

NervousNerd

Byte

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

It`s actually made me think about getting a smartphone.Though i have no one to phone lol, just the word firefox.Guess i`m a hypocrite now lol.

#5 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

As a developer I appreciate it being easier to write software for but ultimately that doesn't matter. If a good chunk more people use android/iphone why would I write software for the FF phone?

I just don't see the real perk to them making an OS so late in the game, what is going to make people want to buy this over android/iOS/wp?

#6 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

I just don't see the real perk to them making an OS so late in the game, what is going to make people want to buy this over android/iOS/wp?

Just because it is making an appearance now instead of when smartphones were becoming all the rage doesn't really remove from it's appeal.
I don't see smartphones going anywhere anytime soon, so why not have a few new operating systems come out and throw some variety in there?

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#7 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

Just because it is making an appearance now instead of when smartphones were becoming all the rage doesn't really remove from it's appeal.
I don't see smartphones going anywhere anytime soon, so why not have a few new operating systems come out and throw some variety in there?

We, as a whole, aren't really "variety" consumers.

We tend to go for the cheapest, easiest, and most reliable method. [usually in that order]

#8 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

There's a few big problems with being late when it comes to software.
  • Software has bugs. Period. You do your best to try and avoid this but until people are actually using it you won't discover half of them. If you're a frontrunner and have issues its not like you have any real alternatives (man my android is kinda buggy, better switch over to the just as buggy at the time iOS)
  • Brand loyalty. This doesn't apply to everyone but generally speaking if someone were to buy, say, a Honda and never had any problems with it, their next car is probably going to be a Honda.
  • Firefox is going to be released with no apps. Android/iOS have a *huge* marketplace with just about anything you could imagine.
I just don't see any real appeal to switch from Android or iOS to FirefoxOS as a consumer.

#9 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

We, as a whole, aren't really "variety" consumers.

We tend to go for the cheapest, easiest, and most reliable method. [usually in that order]

If that is true, why are there thousands of different makes, models and classifications of sex toy, all of which are widely sold and distributed?

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#10 Matty_poo

Matty_poo

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

Yeah no one will use firefox, just like how microsoft will always have no competi-ooooh. Just because it's late, don't count it out. they don't need the entire mrket just a decent cut, and the name firefox carries a bit of weight behind it in tech communities. Plus if they're teaming with another company's phone, what do they have to lose? They probably have customers already, they'll need new phones sooner or later and then they get FF phones in there hands. FF is then in the market. Did you count android out when they came to try and compete with apple?

Mighty horse rocks, he rocks the fat ass. 

youtube.com/Geekcitypodcast

soundcloud.com/newgeekcity

#11 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

Of course not, there was no competition and there was plenty of things different about android. What is going to make the firefox OS stick out for a consumer? What is one good reason to switch to it?

If you release late and have something innovative or at the very least different enough to stand out it isn't a big deal; I don't see anything innovative or different here, though.

As far as firefox having a good name in the tech community... I wouldn't really say that anymore. Back in v2, sure, that was a great point, but now: slower javascript engine, no built in dev tools, poor implementations on some of the css3 specs (box-shadow is a great example, it fking chews memory in FF). Honestly, chrome has a better interface, runs JS faster and is more secure.

#12 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

If that is true, why are there thousands of different makes, models and classifications of sex toy, all of which are widely sold and distributed?

Nobody has had the balls to monopolize via advertisement yet.

Until now.

*sets briefcase on table*

Can I interest you in one of our fine line of sex toys?

[or, alternatively]

Posted Image

What are ye' buyin'?

#13 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationThe latest Smash Major

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

Honestly, chrome has a better interface, runs JS faster and is more secure.

Chrome IS more secure, if you don't mind ALL your personal data being sent to Google....
Honestly, I believe that there's no true supreme winner, but in the battle of the browsers, one browser has been out since the day a major alternative was released: Internet Explorer.

However, Internet Explorer does get an honorable mention for being the best browser for downloading other browsers.

Anyways, back on topic: I have to agree with rex: it's pretty late to the party, and as such will have a slow start, with it being very unlikely that it will ever take a serious percentage of the market.

fl9Uov4.gif

#14 ITblasters

ITblasters

Byte

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:08 AM

I think it is oppurnity of pormmer/ progrme wirter for making apps firefox phone...

#15 Galactus

Galactus

Megabyte

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationSpace

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

So... I just read this, and just like the Firefox OS I am late to the party. Honestly, I don't even have a smartphone. The price of the phones is what stops me... $600 bucks for the newest phone that will be old tech in 6 months, plus most providers charge $40 a month just to take advantage of a smartphone. It doesn't really come down to the OS for me...  If they can make a Firefox smartphone that doesn't cost so much and can be upgraded without the provider's permission, then I may be on board.