I was kicking around the idea of a desktop app (for personal use) that would sit in the tray and show alerts for new posts/messages. If there's any outside interest in it I would be happy to develop it right (read: purely not just for me) and be open to feature requests.
The very core of it would
- Display new posts with a link to the thread
- Display new messages with a link to it
- Detect full screen apps and stop making requests if they're active (ie, it won't run if you're playing a game)
Other features I think would be nice if there was interest
- Be able to send personal messages directly from the app
- See online users
- Be able to filter displaying new posts (ie, ignore new posts from user x, only show alerts for Everything Else section, etc)
It would be windows only (it might run on Mono but I wouldn't plan to support it), but I would (probably) build a web service if there's interest so if someone wanted to make a client for mac/linux they'd be able to easily.
So, any interest? If yes, any requested features?