Photo

Whats the easiest way to make a android mobile game?

programming software android

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Delta22

Delta22

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Whats the easiest way to make a android mobile game?
im trying to make a game for a mobile device (android) but i have no clue where to start.
i would appreciate the help, thanks.

Programmer(in training), hacker(in minimal training), good with computers and mature, all you need to know about me but feel free to talk to me, contact me or whatever, i am no danger.

#2 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

I was looking into this a month ago to see if I could make a personal project out of making an app. What I can tell you is there is no easy way.

It involves a lot more work than I was willing to put in, especially if you're considering making a game. The graphics and animation don't make themselves. But here's a link I thought might've been useful:

http://mobiforge.com...oid-development

#3 Delta22

Delta22

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

I was looking into this a month ago to see if I could make a personal project out of making an app. What I can tell you is there is no easy way.

It involves a lot more work than I was willing to put in, especially if you're considering making a game. The graphics and animation don't make themselves. But here's a link I thought might've been useful:

http://mobiforge.com...oid-development

thanx, but isnt there a way to do it in c#? or unity?
cause i tried searching for it but basically found nothing useful.

Programmer(in training), hacker(in minimal training), good with computers and mature, all you need to know about me but feel free to talk to me, contact me or whatever, i am no danger.

#4 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

I'm not sure about unity. You'd have to look into that yourself. I think unity is more for PC games, but I could be completely wrong.

I think the absolute easiest way is to buy a program to develop it, and use the code from there.

http://xamarin.com/monoforandroid

I also know of Moai, which I'm pretty sure can be used to develop for Android.

#5 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

You wouldn't want to use C# for developing a mobile game on android. In programming ultimately code needs to end up in machine language; C++ for example compiles directly to machine language. .NET (as well as Java) compile to IL code and then, right before running, are JIT-compiled to machine code by the .NET framework. In other words, the code doesn't directly compile and requires the .NET framework (or an equivalent such as Mono) to run. I would not bother developing around Mono for android. :x

Java is fairly close to C# syntax and is pushed pretty heavily by google as the language to use for android.

http://developer.and...ools/index.html

#6 Delta22

Delta22

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

how hard is it to make a very simple game in java?

#7 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

I mean, it depends. Are you talking tic tac toe, or like a 2d platformer?
Tic tac toe or something similar is pretty simple, an actual game (read: something that uses a main loop to execute) is pretty difficult.

#8 Delta22

Delta22

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

i mean something like angry birds?

#9 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

Yeah, that gets to be pretty complex. I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner, you need to know the ins and outs of the language fairly well.

#10 Delta22

Delta22

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

what would you recommend for a beginner?

#11 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

Not making a game? lol.

#12 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

I think this is the hardest part of learning a programming language. You want to do something cool with it, but everything that is cool, like an app or a game, is far too advanced to even think about. Which truly makes it difficult to keep doing interesting projects that you can continue to learn from. Simple programs that calculate things from physics equations and such can only amuse you for so long before you want to learn more, and there's no clear intermediate step to take.

#13 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

A good book really comes in handy there. They'll usually step you through most of the important stuff in an interesting way with good code samples and interactivity. Realistically once you have a solid understanding of a language you should be able to use your google fu to find a either the exact answer or something close enough to give you an idea on how to do it.

#14 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

Not making a game? lol.

This

The main thing here is, you have a development lead: you.

You don't have any of the other necessary jobs, from bigs things like programming, design, art, and sound, to little things like playtesting and general debug testing.

Essentially, you have the easiest part of the game: the idea. You need the people and skills to make it come to life.

#15 DeadChannel

DeadChannel

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationNotlob

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

Easiest? Try game maker. Just remember that its only suitable for some types of games. I tend to be causous when using gm, because if im using too many particle effects (or really anything resource intensive), then the game tends to lag. I do like using gamemaker though (bite me).
Another option is to use some java engine, but that might be harder to get off the ground. (or unity

As a dev, I like to use the best tool for the job. GameMaker for simple 2d things, unity for more intensive 3d things, or java (with eclipse), for everything else (or when in doubt)
I'm fearful, I'm fearful, I'm fearful of flying, and flying is fearful of me.

#16 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationThe latest Smash Major

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

I've always loved seeing how long it took for me to crash GM by spawning stuff.

fl9Uov4.gif

#17 DeadChannel

DeadChannel

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationNotlob

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

I've always loved seeing how long it took for me to crash GM by spawning stuff.

touche :P
Still, a personal favorite of mine for rapid prototyping and game jams (Which is basically rapid prototyping)
I'm fearful, I'm fearful, I'm fearful of flying, and flying is fearful of me.

#18 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

:D

Well, it's so fun to crash GM by spawning personality cores from Portal 2....
At least to me.

fl9Uov4.gif

#19 Fox The Cat

Fox The Cat

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationEmerald Hill

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

Try stencyl.com it is pretty good.

you innocent... fucking... fox... 

#20 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

Try stencyl.com it is pretty good.

Never heard of it, but then again I only develop on iOS.

fl9Uov4.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: programming, software, android