83 replies to this topic

#61 veL

veL

Byte

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:09 AM

I'd pick Star Wars simply because the universe in it is magnificent. Ignoring the bad movie plot etc., the world itself is just so interesting. From Republic Commandos, Mandalorians and Bounty Hunters to Jedi/Sith, there are so many intriguing characters and jobs in this universe. Hence all the successful games (KOTOR, Jedi Knight 2, Republic Commando), as it's a really great feeling for a sci-fi fan to be immersed in that kind of world. And there's just so much potential for more cool stuff to come out of this. But I'm pretty much ignoring the canon in here, I'm not the biggest fan of the movies.

#62 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:36 AM

I've seen one episode of Star Trek's original series. I've seen all 6 Star Wars movies.

I prefer Star Trek.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#63 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

The problem I had with the first three star wars is how bitchy Anikin is. This guy controls a galaxy, really?

Star Trek I was never terribly interested in. I did watch Voyager when it was relevant. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#64 HelloNerdySam

HelloNerdySam

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • LocationFlorida USA

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

For me I'll pick Star Wars: I grew up watching it & love the lightesaber battles, haha! :P

Lightsaber%2BBattle.gif

giphy.gif

#65 vanguardian

vanguardian

Bit

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:48 PM

Star Trek is more about diplomacy (I'm speaking about Next Gen., of course). Watching Picard deal with situations diplomatically, avoiding the use of weapons and maintaining the prime directive is more stimulating. It is the combination of  the words spoken, the style of the 80's sci-fi world and the shakespearian actors creating something very unique and special. Star Wars is really more about the action (I'm speaking of Episode 4). Everything just kind of hovers around the cool factor, a young man who joins a rebellion and pursues the life of a Jedi, uses the force and hangs out with a smuggler and a wookie. Its all sort of dressed up to be enticing but it lacks the substance and integrity of Star Trek.

I will however say this...

Episdoes 1-3 were told from a very childlike perspective. Episode 1 is very "fun" in its imagery, the pod race, Jar Jar, Episode 2 progresses to a lovesick teen perspective, Padme...nuff said, Episode 3 is the adolescent getting involved with the wrong crowd, I don't need to spell this out.

Episodes 4-6 are more about young adult seeking rebellion, fighting the dark side and coming into age, opposing what is inherently wrong.

Now if Lucas is smart and makes Episodes 7-9 with a very tactful, slow perspective as that of an older, wiser being it would really help carry the big picture of the development of this entire story. It would truly be his magnum opus. Will he fulfill my dreams of a perfect story?....probably not.

All in all, I still like Star Trek more.

#66 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:03 AM

Holy crap I just found out that Data and Dr Okun from Independence Day are one in the same. Not that I watched Star Trek or anything I just had a Data toy, but ID4 was my childhood film.

id4042.JPG?width=721

Data_crying.jpg

THE HELL YOU READING FOOL???

#67 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:35 PM

Neither because I don't have a strong feeling towards either.  Although Shatner is an awesome dude.  Read both of his books.  And Mark Hamill was a big part of my childhood, unbeknownst to me.  That damn Joker!

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#68 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • LocationSomewhere beyond the sea

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:19 PM

I like them is this sequence: TOS, TNG, Voyager, Deep Space 9, Enterprise.

Enterprise is even on your list? I generally like to pretend I've never heard of the series.

Mine goes: TNG, Voyager, Deep Space 9, TOS

to be fair though I just started watching the original, but so far the characters seem pretty primative compared to later Star Treks,

kind of like the characters in Star Wars.

#69 Indecent_Adventures

Indecent_Adventures

Byte

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • LocationMichagen

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:52 AM

i love both star wars and star trek but if i truly had to pick one as my favorite it would be star trek hard core the star wars movies had a story but then they started turning into hardcore action movies (after 4,5,and 6) i like star trek because it provides a really good story every episode (acception of a handful or two) now if star wars was a t.v. show instead of a movie series i believe it could have possibly blown star trek away.

200.gif

#70 Cassidy

Cassidy

Byte

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:00 PM

I like both, but prefer Star Trek. I've always preferred stories that are more charcter and philosophical driven. The only Star Trek series I ever really enjoyed was Next Generation. The others are okay, but I wouldn't watch a marathon if it came on. 

#71 MrSpock

MrSpock

Byte

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUSS Enterprise

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:01 PM

Star Trek , because its logical !

Your illogical approach to chess does have its advantages on occasion, Captain. - Spock in 'Charlie X'

#72 Caelwyn

Caelwyn

Byte

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:10 PM

Obviously both are full of lore, and most people have an equal appreciation.

I'd prefer Star Wars, especially when looking at it from the perspective of living in either universe. Star Wars encompasses a lot of griddy aspects, as Star Trek is a bit too polished. Just my preference.

Attached File  ENVlcUm.jpg   59.91K   3 downloads

tumblr_myyiczUjgV1s4nkmdo1_4001.gif

#73 DragonsEars

DragonsEars

Byte

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:32 AM

Trek brought me where no man has gone before, Star Wars is for hyperactive kids that want action, not a good story

#74 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationThe latest Smash Major

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:34 AM

Trek brought me where no man has gone before, Star Wars is for hyperactive kids that want action, not a good story

Both have amazing stories, I just find it ironic that the Jedi were supposed to be diplomats and yet most didn't hesitate to pull out their lightsabers (which were supposed to be last-resort things).

fl9Uov4.gif

#75 Big_Willie_Styles

Big_Willie_Styles

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 965 posts
  • LocationInside my mind

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:19 PM

Both have amazing stories, I just find it ironic that the Jedi were supposed to be diplomats and yet most didn't hesitate to pull out their lightsabers (which were supposed to be last-resort things).

Because the light sabers are cool, diplomacy is boring. There's a reason the bridge went to shit when Spock had to take over when Kirk got in trouble.

"The Curious Task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

#76 ทหารราบ

ทหารราบ

Megabyte

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, United States

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:46 PM

If the two franchises were to get in a fight, then which would win? Would the characters from Star Wars or Star Trek win?

#77 mooseabella

mooseabella

Bit

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:40 PM

I'd also have to say star wars, only because it was my childhood. I only just got into star trek a couple years ago, so i have nostalgia for star wars. But i do think star trek is more...witty, and story based, which makes it awesome.

#78 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • LocationSomewhere beyond the sea

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:57 AM

If the two franchises were to get in a fight, then which would win? Would the characters from Star Wars or Star Trek win?

I assume you mean jedis vs starfleet. though an epic battle between the ferengi and the ewaks would be interesting.

#79 RLH

RLH

Byte

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere near BFE

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:45 PM

While i did like the new Star Trek movies I never really was able to get into any of the Star Trek movies or the shows. Star Wars to me is just better, I have read the books and seen the movies though still have yet to see there holiday special.

If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense, nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't, and contrary wise; What it is it wouldn't be and what it wouldn't be it would. You see?

#80 Helen

Helen

Byte

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationIzhevsk

Posted 01 April 2015 - 01:24 PM

Ive never read any Star Trek novels, but I have read quite a few of the Star Wars books. I thought Zahns original Thrawn Trilogy was quite an entertaining read, and a fitting continuation of episodes 4/5/6. Since then the books have slowly but surely deteriorated. I gave them up for good after reading a couple of the New Jedi Order books.