83 replies to this topic

#21 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

Yup, and that's why Spock would lose an arm.

Sorry, I forgot to add: FOR SCIENCE!

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store

#22 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationThe latest Smash Major

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

Sorry, I forgot to add: FOR SCIENCE!

-You monster (Portal 2 reference)

fl9Uov4.gif

#23 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire and I was like 'Goodbye' and you were like, 'Nooo!' That was great!

#24 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire and I was like 'Goodbye' and you were like, 'Nooo!' That was great!

No way*
Oh boy.....
Well...you may as well come back!

fl9Uov4.gif

#25 Fox The Cat

Fox The Cat

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationEmerald Hill

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

Star trek. Because it's the only logic way.

you innocent... fucking... fox... 

#26 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

Heheh, I kinda prefer Star Wars now.

fl9Uov4.gif

#27 TheGoblinQuill

TheGoblinQuill

Byte

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:20 AM

I don't feel that either is better than the other; both were total game-changers and still well-loved decades after their debuts.

But for me personally, I'll always be a Star Wars gal. I love a good plot, but I'm all about the characters - and I find the Star Wars ensemble to be much more satisfying. Star Trek never managed to make me care immensely about any particular characters, whereas the mere mention of Sarlaac pits can bring tears to my eyes.

'Not all who wander are lost.' -JRR Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
Posted Image
'But I have swam through libraries and sailed through oceans...'
-Herman Melville, Moby-Dick

#28 AmortusR

AmortusR

Bit

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCleveland, OH.

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

Star Trek all the way!
Attached File  facepalm star trek.gif   703.95K   16 downloads <- Might want to click on it (it's a gif).
^ My opinion on star wars ^
We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
Posted Image

#29 Cheveyo

Cheveyo

Bit

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:56 AM

Star Wars just felt more epic. When I'm watching Star Trek, I feel like I'm watching a television show (which isn't always a bad thing). There is just a continual reach for the goal, rather than a long term goal to settle (and be settled).

#30 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

Star Wars just felt more epic. When I'm watching Star Trek, I feel like I'm watching a television show (which isn't always a bad thing). There is just a continual reach for the goal, rather than a long term goal to settle (and be settled).

I feel like a dick asking this, but are you watching the Star Trek television show when you feel this? Because I think I have a theory...

#31 abanerd10000

abanerd10000

Byte

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • LocationRiding the curiosity rover

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

I wonder what would be Sheldon Cooper's answer...
Don't be stupid...

#32 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

Sheldon Cooper is the most selfish, arrogant, brilliant, crazy unstable, awkward, hilarious, emotionless, and nerdy scientist ever to grace fiction.
I secretly suspect he actually has normal emotions but hides them because it's his lifelong dream to be Spock.

fl9Uov4.gif

#33 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

Sheldon Cooper is the most selfish, arrogant, brilliant, crazy unstable, awkward, hilarious, emotionless, and nerdy scientist ever to grace fiction.
I secretly suspect he actually has normal emotions but hides them because it's his lifelong dream to be Spock.

He has Aspergers. He exhibits all of the signs.
It's so blatant that when you think about it, you kinda can't laugh at the character anymore.
At least I can't.
I don't think he needs to be immortal. I think all he needs to do is to write the right story. Because some stories do live forever.

#34 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

He has Aspergers. He exhibits all of the signs.
It's so blatant that when you think about it, you kinda can't laugh at the character anymore.
At least I can't.

That has always been glaringly abvious to me as well.
When I went to college there was a guy in my class that was exactly like Sheldon, minus the massive intelect.
I can still laugh at his character though, I don't find Aspergers to be any less appropriate for comedy than any other massively socially awkward ailment.

They have however started to stray away from the whole socially awkward Sheldon template, and more toward a more peppy Sheldon with a personality.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#35 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

That has always been glaringly abvious to me as well.
When I went to college there was a guy in my class that was exactly like Sheldon, minus the massive intelect.
I can still laugh at his character though, I don't find Aspergers to be any less appropriate for comedy than any other massively socially awkward ailment.

They have however started to stray away from the whole socially awkward Sheldon template, and more toward a more peppy Sheldon with a personality.

I knew he had Asbergers, but I think that him and Amy will sleep with each other by the end of this season, as it would make a great hook.

fl9Uov4.gif

#36 Matty_poo

Matty_poo

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

I just don't laugh because I don't hear any funny jokes....end controversial statement.

Mighty horse rocks, he rocks the fat ass. 

youtube.com/Geekcitypodcast

soundcloud.com/newgeekcity

#37 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

[I like the IT Crowd better. But Big Bang Theory is okay.]
I don't think he needs to be immortal. I think all he needs to do is to write the right story. Because some stories do live forever.

#38 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

[I like the IT Crowd better. But Big Bang Theory is okay.]

I think that Big Bang tries to pander to the modern nerd culture more than it should.
The show as a whole is okay I agree, but it feels like they are trying too hard with some of their material to "be cool".

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#39 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

I never really thought of them as pandering, but I do get the odd feeling that the writers are outsiders to geek culture.
That said, they *usually* do a good job of respecting the geek subculture.
But every once in a while I feel like *I'm* the butt of the joke. <__<

I never got that feeling from the IT Crowd. More of a loving satire.

#40 Giandor

Giandor

Byte

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

There no debating: 100% StarWars. Yes... i know that Star Trek is THE classic of the sci-fi world, but it's become dated. StarWars not only is more modern, but it's still evolving now, while good old Star Trek is just rusting. Maybe my opinion is a bit one-sided, but i am a full out StarWars fan and love everthing in its universe. I'm not saying Star Trek is bad, but i just think it can't hold it's own (anymore) aginst modern generation sci-fi.

We humans give so much for granted, but not many people realize what a fluke it is if we are here today. Remember how lucky we are, and take a minute to be grateful for what we have. Because before you know it, the best has come to past, and you will be left with nothing, but remorse for what was, and what will never be.