• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DaRatmastah

DaRatmastah

Captain Overexcited Cyclops

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:42 AM

Wondering if anyone here has opinions on Java vs. other programming languages. I've had some training in C++(though that was a while ago), PHP, Actionscript, Javascript, CSS, and HTML. Looking to probably pick something else up, and I'm thinking maybe Java, or Python, or something along those lines.

Specifically I'd be interested in creating games, web-enabled games in particular(able to communicate with a server, maybe multiplayer, etc.)

...Thoughts?

#2 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

I wouldn't consider Java the most efficient language to right a game in (for performance reasons). If you're going to learn a language from scratch I would look at C# with XNA or Unity.

#3 DaRatmastah

DaRatmastah

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

Thanks! Meant to post this in coding, and then I went and made a cross-post over there without realizing I had made this one >_>

C# sounds like a good idea, actually, don't know why I didn't think of it. I've already played around a bit in Unity, so it would make sense...

#4 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

You really can't go wrong here. Like emo said Java isn't the best performance-wise, but it's really popular and semi-easy to use. From what I read the big combo for that is HTML5 + CSS3 + Java.

C# is good, Unity is great, but Unity really isn't for people to just jump in and start creating, unless you have some past experience with using similar tools. If you use Unity I recommend making a few test games, to figure out all the functions and object classes and all that fun stuff, so you aren't doing that while you're making your real game.

Either way, you can't really go wrong, both are solid in their own regards. Personally I would go for C#, if for no other reason than it performs better than Java for gaming, meaning you can reach a wider audience [eg. People with crap computers]

#5 DaRatmastah

DaRatmastah

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

Yeah, I've got quite a bit of experience tinkering around in various editors and creation software, so no worries there. I think I am going to to go with C# for now, and save Java for when I really have a hankerin' to jump into HTML5