Photo

Mac Vs. Windows Vs. Linux (Vs. Solaris Vs. Chrome OS)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: OS's (17 member(s) have cast votes)

What OS do you prefer?

1. Mac OS X. I like stability and usability. Hmm? What's a virus? (1 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

2. I prefer Windows. It's the OS of choice, everyone uses it. They're cheap and efficient. (10 votes [58.82%])

Percentage of vote: 58.82%

3. I prefer Linux. It's mostly free, and open source! I like customization, and I run awesome! (6 votes [35.29%])

Percentage of vote: 35.29%

4. I like Solaris. It's different and just genuinely better. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Chrome OS is the one of choice. The web-browser-integrated OS sets this one apart. (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Other (please specify below) (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 GeektaM

GeektaM

Byte

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:58 AM

Linux.
Running Debian.
No viruses, no fragmentation, no need to purchase software.
For lowly-paid people like me : a must

#22 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

I've always used Windows.

I used Ubuntu for a very short time when my computer crashed and I had no way to boot Windows back on it. It was okay, but I had a difficult time getting the software I needed for class. PSpice and Oregano look similar, and they both design and simulate circuits, but I found it difficult to emulate the circuits on Oregano the way that would get me marks.

#23 K_N

K_N

Megabyte

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

In terms of operating system, for me, it doesn't matter. Every tool I use in my day to day development environment runs cross platform, save for Photoshop, which I use sparingly.

I prefer windows simply because nVidia locks down their drivers and I can't run a 3 head display with the nix versions. Otherwise, I would most like work with Ubuntu, because I love the Debian base, and having the support community of Canonical is a huge plus.

I used to be very anti mac - these days I'd happily use one. OSX is Unix based and will run anything I want to use. I would never pay for one though, they are far too expensive for what they contain. Apple markets their computers as if they were fashion accessories, and they are priced to match.

Using Solaris as a desktop OS is a joke. Don't even go there.

Chrome OS is fine for people who don't actually get anything done. It's a soccer mom/college student toy.

Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.

#24 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

The only thing I ever liked about Solaris was ZFS.

#25 MissCrazeh

MissCrazeh

Bit

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

Linux: I had all my servers running in Linux for a little over a year, had it on my main computer on and off. It worked fine for basic stuff, but I got tired of remembering commands, looking up commands, the tutorials which seemed to fit, but then they did not. And the massive compatibility issues to get around with the millions of programs I need to run for my various projects.

Running several heavy programs simultaneously in VM just seems like too much of a mess to me.

I still do like Linux, have it on at-least one of my spare computers "nadia". It's fun to mess around with if I ever run out of other stuff to do, or even on a laptop to bring when travelling "provided I don't need the comp for anything important", but not as a daily use comp to be relying on.

Mac: Never owned one, said no when I was offered one for free for the purpose of learning how it works, inside out..

Had some people come by work with mac computers, desperate for help with all kinds of problems. They had to send them to their dealer, while if they had a regular comp it would normally be fixed in a day or so.

I also like being able to upgrade and reuse computer parts/build my own computers. Mac does not seem specifically friendly in this area, so I just say no thank you..

Windows

A licence costs money, if you pay for it.

Windows 7 is lovely to work with, even in touch. Compatibility is great since most things are made to be compatible with it..

Windows server OS is lovely and easy to get working.

Not a fan of Win8, tho I use it for the purpose of knowing it before I need to help others with it, and because it is tolerable when you have reasonably sized touch monitors to use with it.

The downside is the risk of virus ofc, a fair price to pay for the bonuses imo. And not really a problem if you have proper backups and a good routine for cleaning or reinstalls.

End note:

For reliable computing with high compatability on a main use computer used for many many projects, Windows is a clear winner, giving the least headaches.

For random mindless surfing and socializing etc, any os will do..