Photo

Portal 3? And other 3-games.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Portal 3 (4 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see Portal 3 made?

1. YES, I CAN'T WAIT FOR PORTAL 3! I JUST KNOW IT'LL COME OUT! (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Yeah, I'd like to see it, but we all know VALVe can't count to 3! (2 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Nah, Portal 2 left off at a good spot, making a sequel would ruin it. (1 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. NO! PORTAL 2 WAS HORRIBLE! (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Yes, but only because that means that Half Life 3 could be made! (0 votes [0.00%])

6. What's 3? (1 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationThe latest Smash Major

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

I heard from a private source that Portal 3 may be a reality. I KNOW I'M EXCITED TOO :D :D :D :D
So, as a rundown, this is what I heard (For those of you new to the portal franchise/never played Portal or Portal 2 before, then I hid the spoiling bits for you, although I must confess I have no idea why you would be in this thread).
Portal gloves (gloves that would make portals)
3 Portal Device.
Spoiler

3 Player Coop?
Spoiler

My theory about Portal 3 is that it, for home consoles, would be exclusively limited to the new SteamBox (PC/Mac gamers would still be able to play it), and come, game-wise, with the 3-box, which would hold 3 games: Half-Life 3, Portal 3, and either Team Fortress 3 or Left 4 Dead 3 (In regard to Half-Life 3 and Half-Life 2: Episode 3, there could be an in-game option to play Half-Life 2 Episode 3 before starting Half-Life 3. Just a thought).

Before you scoff at this, think about it from an economic standpoint. What other game, besides Half-Life 3, could shift the ENTIRE console market? What other game could shift attention away from the Xbox 360 and PS3? What other game could HOLD these people with DLC and sequels (Half-Life 4? O.o)? From my standpoint, it would be the most genius video game move ever. Portal 3 and L4D3/TF3 would be like bonuses as compared to HL3. Thoughts?

Note: at the beginning of this post I said MAY. I trust this source, but there's always the possibility.
And no, this post is not a troll. I'm not good enough of a troll to think up something like this.

fl9Uov4.gif

#2 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

Yeeeeeh, I don't really see that happening. Unless your source in question is a Valve intern he wouldn't know about these types of business moves, let alone divulge them.

Look up the history of the games you're talking about,

TF2 was a giant step from TFC, and something Valve is actively working on. They're making tons of cash from the F2P/cash store business model, it's not something they're going to give up soon.

L4D2 was more of a finalization of the L4D series, moving it to it's own modified version of source. It hasn't really been touched by Valve in the past years, unless you count the Payday collaboration they did. It's probably where they're going to leave L4D for a while, but I wouldn't count out a reboot a couple years down the line.

Portal 2 was Valve cashing in on Portal's crazy-big fanbase and popularity at the time, in doing so they pretty much forgot everything that made Portal a smash hit. P2 got generally good reviews, but most will say that it wasn't as good as Portal. The co-op mode has pretty much been panned as a one-playthough gimmick.

Also, it's been announced that the next version of Source is in the works, which will probably be the base for the next Half Life [Looking at Valves history of releases for HL, that makes plenty sense]. The steam box is something that's still speculation at this point, meanwhile Valve is busy getting Mac and Linux support finished to expand their digital distribution market, and finishing up Big Picture mode to help accommodate the tons of people making the shift from console to PC*

*This in itself is a huge topic right now, with the Ps3 and Xbox being a relatively old console generation, and with no official announcements on the next release of either lots of gamers are starting to switch to PC.

#3 LD50

LD50

Mechromancer

• Members
  • 2,053 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

silly turret, valve can't count to three.

#4 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:15 AM

I thought they confirmed a steam box being in the works a few days ago?

Steam's not going to limit a game to one system, especially with their current path, I foresee all new games that's actually made by valve to run on pc, mac, linux, and the console if they get it done. Though like wolf, I'm pretty suspicious of there being a portal three. Got a domain though just in case. >.>
nmjUGDL.jpg

#5 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

Steam box btw.
http://www.tomshardw...ston,20310.html
nmjUGDL.jpg

#6 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

Is it fair to call the steam box a console?

if you want to install Windows you can

So in other words its a mini-PC. I'm ok with this.

#7 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

Unless your source in question is a Valve intern he wouldn't know about these types of business moves, let alone divulge them

Actually....my source DOES work at VALVe, and they're not an intern either. Their name is
Spoiler

Okay, maybe it won't be exclusive to the SteamBox. That'd be ridiculous. However, perhaps it would be first released on that before going to other systems?

fl9Uov4.gif

#8 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

I think a console is the best thing to call it. The hardware probably isn't upgradable, and it comes with an OS designed for it specifically.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#9 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

Fair enough, but the ability to put Windows on it could also define it as a computer. It's a hybrid of both.
Personally I'd keep Linux on it, but that's because of Vista (Sorry if the expletive Vista is offensive to you, I know the forum rules about language, but I felt it would add to my post).

fl9Uov4.gif

#10 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

I never had any problems with Vista, and Win7 has fixed anything that was wrong with it.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#11 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

I never had any problems with Vista, and Win7 has fixed anything that was wrong with it.

Windows 7 is good.

But Vista? *shudder*
I had just gotten Vista when it came out, and, like nearly every Windows user since the dawn of time, I got a virus. I went to the Microsoft support page, and I got a dead link.

DEAD LINK!
Posted Image

No, not that kind. The other kind.
That was it. I sold the PC on Ebay, got a Mac, and never looked back.

fl9Uov4.gif

#12 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Vista had plenty of faults, however, getting a virus is a big ole sign of PEBKAC 95% of the time.

#13 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

Vista was the Jaws 4 of operating systems.

fl9Uov4.gif