• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#61 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

Dragons,Elfs, Fairies, Mermaids. Pretty sad that the last 2 are originally evil, but I prefer the nice ones that society think they are. ;~;

All four were originally evil.
I don't think he needs to be immortal. I think all he needs to do is to write the right story. Because some stories do live forever.

#62 Guiz

Guiz

Bit

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

Dragon !! ( But I'm happy also with the "mother of the dragons :P

Well Dragons are both, evil and good. The same for the Elfs, but I think depends from the kind of "ambientation".

#63 MrSandman

MrSandman

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

It has to be Fenrisulven, from nordic mythology! He actually kills Odin, thats pretty badass!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenrir

#64 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:41 AM

Dragon !! ( But I'm happy also with the "mother of the dragons :P

Well Dragons are both, evil and good. The same for the Elfs, but I think depends from the kind of "ambientation".

Daenerys in herself is a mythical creature. I couldn't deal with half the things she does. She's really grown to be a strong woman.

#65 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

Oh, Nordic mythos? I'm coming down from a four month long research run on those. This was the strangest one I remember, the one where Loki gets raped by a horse. More here.

I think Daeneries will grow into a great antagonist. If the author doesn't craft her into a big bad, she's being used incorrectly. Her character has so much potential.

On that note, who's heard of the Namazu from Japanese folklore? How about the Erlking? Might be book related.

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store

#66 Mister Sympa

Mister Sympa

Ascended Prophet

• Moderators
  • 4,444 posts
  • LocationUSA, Earth, Milky Way

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

I think my favorite creature is probably the soot spirits from Miyazaki's Totoro and Spirited Away. They're adorable and they eat SUGAR STARS! What's not to love?

tumblr_ojjqahjSmc1rtecnto2_400.gif

#67 Sandy

Sandy

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:54 PM

I love mermaids. I have always had a strange obsession with them. Life would be so great if I were a mermaid, I would just swim around forever and save people and collect trinkets and swim with dolphins.

#68 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:14 PM

I love how every one of these creatures were originally terrible monsters before Disney got a hold of them and now we idolize the beasts. Have you ever read the original Grim bro's version of Cinderella? Bloody towards the end, but after being Disneyfied, all happy and lucky and go. (Still has singing animals, though) It's not just Disney, many, many creatures have been rethought as friendly or sexy.

#69 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

I love how every one of these creatures were originally terrible monsters before Disney got a hold of them and now we idolize the beasts. Have you ever read the original Grim bro's version of Cinderella? Bloody towards the end, but after being Disneyfied, all happy and lucky and go. (Still has singing animals, though) It's not just Disney, many, many creatures have been rethought as friendly or sexy.

Yeah they do love to romanticise monsters.

In damn near every movie when you think about it.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#70 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:58 PM

Surprised no one has said the Abrahamic god yet...then I remember that as far as myths go, it's a pretty boring one.

Let's see, not really a creature but King Arthur was pretty bad ass. Grendel from Beowulf and also all orcs and goblins ever.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#71 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:59 PM

Surprised no one has said the Abrahamic god yet...then I remember that as far as myths go, it's a pretty boring one.

Let's see, not really a creature but King Arthur was pretty bad ass. Grendel from Beowulf and also all orcs and goblins ever.

#72 TheKraken

TheKraken

Bit

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

Please check out my audition for the show King of the Nerds on TBS and please cast your vote for me! Every vote counts! ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY KRAKEN!

http://bit.ly/12exXLl

Attached Files

#73 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

No.

Also, I'm really liking the gnome race from Wizardry. They have these cute ram-like horns and somewhat cat-like eyes. SO CUTE.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#74 Silver_rose

Silver_rose

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationLoading...

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:13 AM

I'm sorry, what?

The fae aren't evil, they're mischevious, somewhat childish.
There's a huge difference.

Mermaids... I am unsure with.

Also Elves are fae.
Just throwing that out there.

Because I can...

#75 MrSandman

MrSandman

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:00 AM

yes, most of the legendary creatures where evil in the beginning, since they where often made up to scare people. Fairies where considered like lost souls that where dead and brought back as a small demon. Elfs where also mostly evil, but could also be good sometimes.

#76 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:09 AM

Carrying off babies? Evil. (Although sometimes the babies come back as badasses) Midwives blinded? The friggin Erlking  (Or his daughter in some legends) was an embodiment of death on par with the grim reaper. Mab was the fairy queen of herpes!

The Seelie court (Middle English: Blessed, good) were seen as the good fae, or at least the non-assholes. You have to do something to piss them off. The Unseelie (I guess non-blessed or non-good) needed no reason to lay some malevolent ju-ju on your head.

#77 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:02 PM

Mermaids were like sirens if I remember correctly, didn't they get ships to steer into rocks and then they'd kill the survivors?

#78 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:11 PM

Same basic archetype. In Greek legends they were birds-ladies, although they were the daughters of a water god. They'd draw sailors over with their voices and wreck their ships. Some legends they eat men, but in others they only draw them in and the men starve to death. They were oracles or something akin, they promised Odysseus knowledge of the future.  

The modern mermaid is heavily influenced by Hans Christian Anderson. Some mermaids in the old tales were good, some married mortal men, but most were evil.

The monster between them was the nix, a water woman who'd lure people in with their songs. Wagner's ring cycle has nixes (Whatever the plural is) in the beginning and end, they take the fat lady's ring in the closing scene. They're my favorite example, and the music during their scenes is beautiful. Check it:

#79 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:07 AM

I'm sorry, what?

The fae aren't evil, they're mischevious, somewhat childish.
There's a huge difference.

Mermaids... I am unsure with.

Also Elves are fae.
Just throwing that out there.

There were evil fae in old legends. Lots of them. And even the good ones weren't exactly 'nice.' There were more stories of Fae cursing and killing people than just about anything else. There are precious few old folkloric stories about the Fae being benevolent.

Also, the original Elves were a Norse invention, as were Dwarves. There were light elves and dark elves, and I don't know a whole lot about them, but I know that at least the Dark Elves were evil.

I don't think he needs to be immortal. I think all he needs to do is to write the right story. Because some stories do live forever.

#80 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:08 AM

Oh, and yes, Mermaids used to drown people in various ways.