• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

So I was just thinking about this. But I'm sure there's plenty of examples, of where things in fantasy novels, games, movies etc. just don't seem to fit right. The main one that I can come up with right now, is dwarves. Generally they're depicted as living underground, or in caves and such. They're also usually depicted as wielding axes. Surely hammers or pickaxes would be more appropriate? I don't really think they'd have much use for axes underground o_O

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#2 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

I’m not sure how functional a pickaxe might be in combat, seems awkward to me. I see nothing wrong with them using axes. Mining underground would build muscles needed to swing heavy stuff around, axes, hammers, even pickaxes.

What I wanna know is where’s the dwarves wielding daggers and scimitars. Like they’re unable to use skillful weapons or something. Racist.

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store

#3 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

I suppose a pickaxe wouldn't work all that differently to a scythe, really. But I just think it'd fit them better than axes, considering where they live. Y'know, turn their work tools into weapons for easy defending, etc.

LL1Yc5i.gif

#4 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

I’m not sure how functional a pickaxe might be in combat, seems awkward to me.

But... the pickaxe is +25 AD

Posted Image

#5 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

By that logic, shouldn't humans use scythes and sickles instead of swords? We're an agricultural culture, after all.

Actually, dagger-wielding dwarves would make a lot of sense. Underground = close quarters. It's difficult to swing an axe in close quarters. Smaller weapons prevail.
I don't think he needs to be immortal. I think all he needs to do is to write the right story. Because some stories do live forever.

#6 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationThe latest Smash Major

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:25 AM

Clever...I see your point

fl9Uov4.gif

#7 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

Aye but every dwarven hold is practically an impenetrable fortress, Moria for instance, had held against invaders for centuries it took an enormous force to eventually kill all the dwarfs.

That in itself didn't work for me. I know that it advances the plot and everything, but it didn't seem right for Moria to fall. It's very hard to wipe out a people who know their surroundings so well. Just look at Vietnam and Afghanistan.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#8 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

It wasn't just an attack that wiped them out, if I remember correctly. They dug too far and set the Balrog free.

LL1Yc5i.gif

#9 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

Oh really? I don't remember that in the film so maybe they left it out or I didn't listen good enough.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#10 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:19 AM

It wasn't just an attack that wiped them out, if I remember correctly. They dug too far and set the Balrog free.

This.

Oh really? I don't remember that in the film so maybe they left it out or I didn't listen good enough.

It was said in the movie.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#11 tlh1123

tlh1123

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

I always notice that dwarves tend to "dig too deep" or at least thats the tendency I see. Not in any movies or books in particular but everytime I seem to hear a plot a dwarve has always dug to deep.
Posted Image

Misa: I can’t even imagine a world without Light
L: Yes, it would be quite dark.
(Death Note)

#12 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

When I did too deep I usually hit bedrock. Then I have to use dirt to get back to the surface before sunset.

I wanna see a book where Dwarves live in the sky and dig the clouds. Why do they always have to live in the dirt? It’d be much more comfortable on an airship.

#13 tlh1123

tlh1123

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

When I did too deep I usually hit bedrock. Then I have to use dirt to get back to the surface before sunset.

Sounds just a bit vaguely similar to Minecraft ;)

I wanna see a book where Dwarves live in the sky and dig the clouds. Why do they always have to live in the dirt? It’d be much more comfortable on an airship.

I think that would be quite a good concept. Exactly opposite from the traditional "living in a hole for eternity only to mine, mine, mine...". Kind of refreshing to hear a different idea ^_^
Posted Image

(Death Note)

#14 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

Minecraft? No, it's my normal day. I live in a house made of wool and at night, skeletons riding spiders shoot arrows at me.

#15 tlh1123

tlh1123

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

Minecraft? No, it's my normal day. I live in a house made of wool and at night, skeletons riding spiders shoot arrows at me.

Ah, man that sounds tough! How did you manage to survive?? :ph34r:
Posted Image

(Death Note)

#16 Matty_poo

Matty_poo

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

but are they giant spiders or man sized spiders...which I guess relative to their size is in fact giant.

Mighty horse rocks, he rocks the fat ass. 

youtube.com/Geekcitypodcast

soundcloud.com/newgeekcity

#17 tlh1123

tlh1123

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

but are they giant spiders or man sized spiders...which I guess relative to their size is in fact giant.

Little does anyone know about NoDanico... but what we all agree on is that he never tells what isn't true ;)
Posted Image

(Death Note)

#18 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

GA is a seriously brutal land. Why do you think so many people down here own guns?

And no, the spiders are normal sized, the skeletons are as tall as my thumb and completely harmless.

#19 tlh1123

tlh1123

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

GA is a seriously brutal land. Why do you think so many people down here own guns?

And no, the spiders are normal sized, the skeletons are as tall as my thumb and completely harmless.

That's the type of fantasy that goes wrong. I was hoping to meet an actual person who lived in Minecraft :(....

My hopes and dreams man....

Posted Image
Posted Image

(Death Note)