Photo

I write a blog about becoming video game characters!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DaRatmastah

DaRatmastah

Captain Overexcited Cyclops

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

Srsly! Not, like, a cosplay blog(though I think cosplay is awesome), but a blog about emulating the fitness, skills, mindset, and psychology of your favorite video game characters.

You can find it here:
http://beagamecharacter.blogspot.com/

Most people I talk to think it's pretty nifty(I hope you do, too!). If you've got any feedback, character suggestions, or questions, I am all ears!

Please note: Though I am a newcomer to this forum, it is not my intent to spam! I just thought you all might be interested =) Thanks!

#2 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

I read it, because this dude is a buddy of mine. I can vouch, it's pretty neat.

I haven't attempted any of the workouts yet, though. <___<
I don't think he needs to be immortal. I think all he needs to do is to write the right story. Because some stories do live forever.

#3 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

Your blog is very entertaining. I remember wanting to be like Rukia from Bleach when I was younger. I really like your character studies.

#4 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

Well that's pretty nifty.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#5 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

I want bullet time

how much physical training does that take?

#6 DaRatmastah

DaRatmastah

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

I read it, because this dude is a buddy of mine. I can vouch, it's pretty neat.

I haven't attempted any of the workouts yet, though. <___<

<3

Your blog is very entertaining. I remember wanting to be like Rukia from Bleach when I was younger. I really like your character studies.

Thanks! It's awesome because there's SO MUCH SOURCE MATERIAL!! I'm also starting work on a couple of e-books that go for a more archetypal approach, rather than singling out individual characters, and then going really in-depth on nutrition, fitness, skills, etc.

Well that's pretty nifty.

I like to think so =D

I want bullet time

how much physical training does that take?

Okay, so for anyone who existed on the internet in the late 90s/early 00s you may have happened upon the term "lentation." This was a made-up word that people used for "bullet time" before "bullet time," really existed as a term. I found the idea extremely interesting, and did some research.

Basically, time perception dilation/alteration is a real phenomenon. It is triggered most commonly by two things. A) An overload of adrenaline in your body's system, typically caused by extreme fear or excitement, or B) Extracurricular drugs/substances(LSD, etc.).

In the case of adrenaline, this is the closest you'll get to "bullet time" like in Max Payne or The Matrix. This is because the adrenaline also speeds up your body's speed/strength temporarily. The downside is, first of all, it's not really possible to trigger voluntarily(believe me, I've tried). Also, adrenaline is bad for your body in repeated, high doses. When on your adrenaline rush, you are extremely uncoordinated, mentally and physically. Also, your body basically takes its "limits" off when on massive adrenaline spikes. People in high adrenaline situations that trigger "time dilation" type effects have experienced things like muscles tearing free of their tendons, or joints being overtaxed and sprained. Typically the person doesn't even realize it until after the fact due to the pain mitigating properties of the situation.

In the case of drugs, the upside is you have more control over when the effect is triggered. The downside is, it's limited to perception alone. You're perceiving the world at a different speed due to brain chemical alterations, but your body doesn't move or react any more quickly than usual(in fact, it's typically quite the opposite). Also, there's large amounts of side effects to these altered states, basically limiting any other possible benefit of the time dilation effect.

tl;dr: Bullet time exists, kind of, through drugs, or adrenaline. Either way, it's typically harmful in single or repeated doses, and difficult to make functional, regardless.

#7 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

I'm all for the drugs option.

#8 DaRatmastah

DaRatmastah

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

Fewer things will serve your purpose better than good old LSD, my good man. It's got the most reliable chance of causing time-dilation effects, depending on how you react to it.

Not that I'm condoning recreational drug use or anything...

>_>

<_<

#9 LD50

LD50

Mechromancer

• Members
  • 2,053 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

LSD is fine and dandy till the heffalumps and woozles get very confusled...

#10 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

Cyborg. Full-on Ghost in the Shell, Kerzweil’s wet dream, half robot abomination. How many sit-ups do I have to do to enter the singularity with the Major?

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store

#11 DaRatmastah

DaRatmastah

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

Take the average land speed of any given Tachikoma, multiply by the number of books that Isaac Asimov wrote, and divide by the number of years we have left until the singularity occurs. Find the nearest prime number to that(rounding up, not down), and that's how many sit-ups you need to do every day between now and then.

I also did a theoretical, high-level brainstorm across five posts on building your own powersuit after I finished the Samus Aran breakdown, which might interest you. http://beagamecharac...nd-powered.html =D

#12 DaRatmastah

DaRatmastah

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

Just a bump to let everyone know the blog is now live at its new home, http://www.beagamecharacter.com/

**sniff** my little baby is growing up. It's got its own URL and host and everything! **tear**

#13 DaRatmastah

DaRatmastah

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

You guys like free internet stuff, right? Because the latest post is all about free internet stuff...

http://beagamecharac...internet-stuff/

#14 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

You know, I feel like we’d have a higher recruiting rate in the U.S military if the recruiters took this tactic when talking to the AV and chess club.

‘You like vidja games, son?’

‘Gee willikers, do I!’

‘Uncle Sam can make you into Solid Snake!’

‘!’
(complete with BLEEER! sound effect.)

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store