Photo

Favorite character, hero, villain, or otherwise.

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 DaRatmastah

DaRatmastah

Captain Overexcited Cyclops

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

Hey guys! New to the forums(my friend Diabolical_Jazz showed me in), was wondering what everyone's favorite video game character of all time is?

I have a hard time picking just one X__X I think if I had to, my favorite character of all time would be Link. Runners-up include Gannondorf, Frog from Chrono Trigger, and Will, from Illusion of Gaia.

You?

#2 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationThe latest Smash Major

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

Definitely a tie between GLaDOS and Wheatley, personally.

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

fl9Uov4.gif

#3 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

Y'know, Chrono Cross gets a lot of hate, but I *loved* the character Glen.
For reasons which relate to your post but also could be considered spoilers I suppose.

Also, about half of the cast of Mass Effect 1 through 3.
But especially Tali, Legion, and Thane.
AND DEFINITELY NOT MIRANDA OH MY GOD. I wanted to put her in the freaking airlock and cycle it.

Let's see...
Regal from Tales of Symphonia. Because seriously. He fights with his hands cuffed together. That'ssofreakingcool.
I don't think he needs to be immortal. I think all he needs to do is to write the right story. Because some stories do live forever.

#4 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

Uzuki Shion from Xenosaga II: Jenseits von Gut und Böse. Her personality is great, she uses an extremely unique weapon, and she's a hottie >_>

Reimi Saionji from Star Ocean: The Last Hope. Similar reasons as above.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#5 LD50

LD50

Mechromancer

• Members
  • 2,053 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

John Marston from Red Dead Redemption. seriously, rockstar did an amazing job with him. and few things were more satisfying than that moment when you finally get to meet his family. he was genuine and fought for what he believed and for who he loved. even in the final moments of his story, i was captivated. the ending was a bit of a tear jerker, but i walked out of that barn with my head held high.

#6 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

John Marston from Red Dead Redemption

This

and Max Payne

started out a cliche character and eventually evolved into so much more

also the shooting people while striking a relaxing pose midair was pretty cool too

#7 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

John Marston from Red Dead Redemption. seriously, rockstar did an amazing job with him. and few things were more satisfying than that moment when you finally get to meet his family. he was genuine and fought for what he believed and for who he loved. even in the final moments of his story, i was captivated. the ending was a bit of a tear jerker, but i walked out of that barn with my head held high.

Spoiler

Funny story, my buddy tried to disarm the guy. Disarm! You can’t, you can only kill in that duel. And really, who wouldn’t?

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store

#8 LD50

LD50

Mechromancer

• Members
  • 2,053 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:31 AM

Spoiler

#9 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

This is a hard one, There have been a ton of good video game characters, more than movie ones I think.
I think for good guys, it'd be Zidane from FFIX, and even though he's not playable, Cairne from WoW/WC3. For bad guys, I think it'd have to be Arthas throughout his WC3 story line, he was ruthless, and a villain should be nothing less than that.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#10 Timathor Aznerac

Timathor Aznerac

Byte

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

I like Leon from resident evil. He was just too epic in it

One man is judged not by his strength but by his intellectual strength.

#11 Beavercannon123

Beavercannon123

Byte

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

I think that my favorite character from a video game would be Connor from Assassins Creed 3. He could climb up trees and kill enemies with his awesome.
WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THE WORD THE?...........THINK ABOUT IT

#12 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

Connor was also a whiny manchild who seemed to just complain about things and be aggressively arrogant with everyone.
Not the most likeable assassin out of the lot.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#13 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

Connor was also a whiny manchild who seemed to just complain about things and be aggressively arrogant with everyone.
Not the most likeable assassin out of the lot.

Right?

There's Altair's deep intelligence and undying spirit

There's Ezio's quick wit, charisma, and eventually wisened age

Then there's Connor's... Yknow I don't even remember anything about Connor.

#14 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

To be fair, he was a Native American at a terrible, horrible, abhorrent time period in US history. If anyone can be emo and egotistical and get away with it, it’s people in that situation. Life ain’t easy for a boy named Sue and all that. Although, I didn’t like him very much either.

Did anyone play God Hand? That dude was pretty likeable. Over the top and cool. And the Evil Dead games, just because Ash is frikkin awesome.
I want to name a protagonist from my favorite genre and era, 90's rpgs, but they were all silent blankmen who did whatever secondary characters told them to.

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store

#15 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

Did anyone play God Hand? That dude was pretty likeable. Over the top and cool. And the Evil Dead games, just because Ash is frikkin awesome.
I want to name a protagonist from my favorite genre and era, 90's rpgs, but they were all silent blankmen who did whatever secondary characters told them to.

*tableflip*

GODHAND!

I'de been trying to think of the title to that game for months now.

By the same people who did Okami, and another game that escapes me.

You, sir, just wasted my whole tomorrow.

And I agree with the whole silent blankman thing, I love the chars from the old FF, but the main char, the one you get most connected to, is essentially a blank slate every game. Although recently I found a game that did the silent protagonist really well, and it surprised me.

Persona 4, the protagonist is the quiet, deep type in a game that's basically a giant interactive anime. For once, I felt like I fit in not saying anything.

#16 DaRatmastah

DaRatmastah

Captain Overexcited Cyclops

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

Wow, awesome characters so far. Clearly I need to play red dead redemption.

To weigh in on the assassin's creed protagonist debate, I can honestly say Connor is my favorite of the three, I think because he's young, and human. He doesn't come off to me as too whiny, but he has enough flaws going on to seem...real.

Altair is just...I dunno, too all-over-the-place for me? I feel like as a character we didn't get to know him that well, personality-wise, and he strikes me as unrealistically aloof, while at the same time kind of emotional? I don't know, he strikes me as weird.

Ezio on the other hand just isn't human. I mean, he's a great power fantasy character. Seen ridiculous shit, been through ridiculous shit, still all witty and smiles and whatnot. But a person who's been through what he went through would be a lot less balanced, I think.

Not to mention Connor's the only one that seems to actively avoid just randomly murdering people. I realize they're assassins and driven by the order/revenge and whatnot, but Connor's the only one that every shows remorse, or an aversion to killing people if possible. I dunno.

#17 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

I like Leon from resident evil. He was just too epic in it

My favorite Resident Evil character BY FAR is Billy Coen from RE0.

As far as Assassin's Creed, I am the only person I've met who actually kinda likes Desmond. Although, granted, I've missed a few games, so I don't even know what's going on anymore.
I don't think he needs to be immortal. I think all he needs to do is to write the right story. Because some stories do live forever.

#18 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

Oh, I forgot a very special addition to this list.

Gordon Freeman.

Not because of Half Life or portal fanboyism, but because he knew what was going down.

He was a silent protagonist, because he knew that saying even one thing would slow the game down unnecessarily

Gordon Freeman is a man who gets shit done.

Favorite antagonist: [Spec Ops: The Line spoiler; seriously don't read this if you ever intend on playing this eye-opening game]

Spoiler

I can never get Lugo screaming "He turned us into GODDAMNED KILLERS!" out of my head.

It still brings a tear to my eye, and I'm not the type to get emotional about games. I seriously recommend giving Spec ops even just 1 playthrough.

#19 DeadChannel

DeadChannel

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationNotlob

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

Id have to say that my fav villain would have to be GlaDoS, but overall I think that link wins overall.
I really liked robo from chrono trigger, super meat boy (from super meat boy), Steve (minecraft) and Iji (from Iji, which was actually made using the same engine I use :))

most people have never heard of the latter, but I reccomend playing it. The gfx arent that good, but its made in a retro shooter style.
I'm fearful, I'm fearful, I'm fearful of flying, and flying is fearful of me.

#20 LonesomeDrifter

LonesomeDrifter

Byte

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

SOLID SNAKE.
'nuff said.