46 replies to this topic

#21 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

Ah that's it! Isaac's Crossing. Do you have a proof-reader by the way to seek out spelling mistakes? =)

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#22 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

I had someone edit the entire thing, actually. At least for grammar and spelling. My grammar is atrocious at times. I went through and made all the correct corrections. So it's basically ready to publish except I need a cover and I have to do the formatting stuff.

Also the person who edited it for me is a professional editor of some kind, and she's a friend of mine and liked the story so she offered to edit it.
She has permanently made my list of people who rule face.
I don't think he needs to be immortal. I think all he needs to do is to write the right story. Because some stories do live forever.

#23 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

Ah fair enough, I was just going to offer that if you hadn't I could give a copy to my Mother, she's trained in proof-reading and actually sorted Curse of the Myerling out.

I am quite excited to get my hands on a copy, you know! ;)

#24 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

Oh man, that's lucky! XD I think I've probably tapped that particular friend for editing favors. Or at least I'd feel really bad asking her to do it again. But thanks for the offer!
It'll be ready soon. If my friend doesn't finish the artwork soon I'll get someone else to do it maybe. <_<
I don't think he needs to be immortal. I think all he needs to do is to write the right story. Because some stories do live forever.

#25 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

Even though I've got an absurd number of posts in here already, this article is way too cool to not-post:

http://stilleatingor...ithout-conflict

[It's about a plot structure atypical to Western writing, which does not revolve around conflict. It's pretty fascinating.]

#26 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

Oh man, that's lucky! XD I think I've probably tapped that particular friend for editing favors. Or at least I'd feel really bad asking her to do it again. But thanks for the offer!
It'll be ready soon. If my friend doesn't finish the artwork soon I'll get someone else to do it maybe. <_<

Aye, I don't know if she'd do it for free but it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. Any way the offer stands I imagine, should you take it. :)

I'm subbing that blog, too. ^^

#27 DaRatmastah

DaRatmastah

Captain Overexcited Cyclops

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

Personally, I LOVE the "Writing Excuses" podcast.

http://www.writingexcuses.com/

They're in their 7th season now, and it's fantastic stuff. "15 minutes, because you're in a hurry, and we're not that smart!" It's a huge library to go over with 7 seasons in the hatch, now, but it is definitely to go back to the very first season and start with episode one. I listen to them on the way to/from work in the car.

#28 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

Even though I've got an absurd number of posts in here already, this article is way too cool to not-post:

http://stilleatingor...ithout-conflict

[It's about a plot structure atypical to Western writing, which does not revolve around conflict. It's pretty fascinating.]

This instantly made me think of slice-of-life anime. No real conflict so to speak, unless there’s some harem/love element present.

And Asian heroes are vastly different from ours. While tragic flaws are a relatively new invention in western stories, Asian protagonists are often normal, feeble men.

Genji from The Tale of Genji is an incredibly handsome man, but has plenty of flaws. He’s a noble prince who basically sleeps with a lot of women. (Generalization. I’m not getting into the court intrigue. His son with his step-mom and the ten year old girl he kidnaps) And the whole plot is basically that, shinny Genji bumpin uglies and working his way up the insane court system. No great war for him to fight, no dragons to get drunk and slay, villages to defend from bandits, nuthin.

Beowulf, a comparable hero, a story written about two hundred years before, or a hundred years after, depending on who you ask. Badass Nordic badass who goes badass all over a monster, his mamma, a sea deamon, and a poisonous dragon. (BTW that was an Oxford comma. The last one before the word ‘and’ in a long list) The epitome of what a warrior should be. Strong, bold, afraid of nothing, he was the Chuck Norris of the 5th century.

Sorry, that ended up being longer than I had intended.

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store

#29 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:27 AM

Yay for Oxford commas. I don't really see what's wrong with it, it's like the grocers' apostrophe. At the end of the day...who really cares? XD

#30 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

It never occurred to me that there might be anything wrong with that sort of comma at all. 0__o

#31 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

supposedly an 'and' doesn't need a comma because it's entitled to its own pause, sometimes people think it warrants one, though. I think if it helps the flow and syntax, why not.

#32 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

I pretty much take a shotgun approach to commas. <___<

#33 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

Have you ever sat down to work on a novel, then accidentally wrote five thousand words of an entirely different novel?
I'm not sure if I should be upset with myself or not.

#34 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

That's the entire reason I never get anywhere. Get part-way through one thing, go onto something else.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#35 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

o_o holy fuck. What did you write?

#36 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

Have you ever sat down to work on a novel, then accidentally wrote five thousand words of an entirely different novel?
I'm not sure if I should be upset with myself or not.

I have done that.
Not quite so many words, but I have sat down with the intentions of picking up where I left off in a previous writing seesion and ended up with a few pages of a completely unrelated story.

The way I see it, progress is progress.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#37 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

That's the entire reason I never get anywhere. Get part-way through one thing, go onto something else.

I have had similar troubles in the past. Normally I'm pretty able to buckle down and work on a project nowadays, but this side project really called to to me t'day.

But yeah, the only way to do it is to do it. You should pick your favorite unfinished story and revisit it!

o_o holy fuck. What did you write?

I thought of this project a while ago, and I'd been letting it sit around, barely started. The idea is that I write a manual on dungeon exploring, set in modern times, and emphasizing strictly pragmatic methods. Inspired somewhat by the Zombie Survival Handbook. But I didn't want to just write a manual because I felt that would be boring, so I plan on writing the manual first, then parsing it out and putting it in the context of a story about some kid finding a mysterious photocopied manual on dungeoneering, and going on his own little delve.

So yeah, I wrote five thousand words on the advantages and disadvantages of different ropes, clothings, and weapons.

#38 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationThe latest Smash Major

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:08 AM

Hey I love to write, count me in!

fl9Uov4.gif

#39 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:28 AM

I have had similar troubles in the past. Normally I'm pretty able to buckle down and work on a project nowadays, but this side project really called to to me t'day.

But yeah, the only way to do it is to do it. You should pick your favorite unfinished story and revisit it!

I thought of this project a while ago, and I'd been letting it sit around, barely started. The idea is that I write a manual on dungeon exploring, set in modern times, and emphasizing strictly pragmatic methods. Inspired somewhat by the Zombie Survival Handbook. But I didn't want to just write a manual because I felt that would be boring, so I plan on writing the manual first, then parsing it out and putting it in the context of a story about some kid finding a mysterious photocopied manual on dungeoneering, and going on his own little delve.

So yeah, I wrote five thousand words on the advantages and disadvantages of different ropes, clothings, and weapons.

Hey that sounds awesome! You should look at the Fallout 3 manual, it's only going to be very loosely related but they have little pictures which have captions underneath in classic 50s style, 'cap.3.1: the world outside the vault is not the one you will remember'. That sort of thing, it's done very well.

#40 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

Affray- I think that's just how inspiration works. It's a bother, though, because the novel I'd like to work on is pretty far along, and I'm pressuring myself to finish it. I know I could just... *not* pressure myself, but then it won't get done. <__<

Mister Turret: Welcome! ^__^

Gol, thanks, and thanks for the recommendation!
I guess I can allow myself to get sidetracked for a while.