#1 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

Spoiler

Posted Image
So. The premise is fantasy. As you can see, visually it's kind of a throwback to the older Final Fantasy games, or the Chrono games. Currently, the battle system in place is a turn-based first-person system, but that is subject to change if I can find or code a better one. The former is probably more likely, as I'm currently not very skilled with Ruby.

The way I'm telling the story is somewhat different to most RPGs. Have you ever noticed how you have information in RPGs that you wouldn't normally know? Place names, people names, that kind of thing. Well, not here. Until you find out, either via lore or actually speaking to somebody, this information is hidden from you. If I hadn't told you my name earlier, you wouldn't know it until such a time as I decide to tell you. A little hint, though. Just like real life, not everyone you meet will tell you the truth.

Currently, there aren't very many features to the game. Aside from myself, there are two other characters. The heroine whom you will be assuming direct responsibility for, and my sibling. Who is the heroine? I'm not going to tell you that just yet. To be honest, I don't know exactly who she is. I could tell you about my sibling, but she's just a lowly NPC, haha. So I'll just tell you something about myself.

I'm an adventurer, a merchant, a sellsword and... a thief. The village I live in is small, and not exactly a bustling hive of activity. I suppose you could say I'm Robyn Hood. I just... don't always take from the rich. Lately things in the village have been getting worse. It sounds generic, but the wildlife outside has been getting more violent. Nobody leaves or enters without a bodyguard of some description. Which is often where my tertiary career choice comes into play.

Anyway, enough about me.

Planned/Possible Features
-Real-time battle system?
-Characters with passive status effects (Without going into too much detail, an example: A character who is blind constantly suffering the Blind status effect. A character who cannot speak suffering the Silence status effect)
-Class change system
-Theme song with vocals (this depends on whether the engine can support it, and whether I can hire somebody to sing or do it myself)
-Multiple endings depending on player choices (think Mass Effect choice-wise, but SNES-y)
-Hidden powers, spells, skills (assuming I can figure the system out)
-Relationship system (I know the coding for it, but I'm not implementing it until I have a full cast ready to go)
-Title change?
-Plenty of places to explore.
-Sidequests

That's all I have for now. And now the floor is open to you all.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#2 Galactus

Galactus

Megabyte

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationSpace

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:08 PM

I think that the Multiple endings is awesome.
I prefer turn based battle. It gives time to decide strategy over hurried choices.
Class change is awesome. Like FFV style.
Relationships would be interesting, perhaps if it added additional content, like relationship quests?
Do they have possibilities for mini games?

I would definitely play your game. :P

#3 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

I'm sure relationship-based sidequests could be done. I need to work out how exactly the relationships would rise/fall. Possibly a karma system tied to multiple-choice conversations. Something like...

Multiple choices 1-3
-If 1: No effect
-If 2: Switch 000X = ON
If Switch 000X = ON, Relationship level for actor [12]: +1
-If 3: Switch 00XX = ON
If Switch 00XX = ON, Relationship level for actor [12]: -1

Relationships would affect little nuances outside of the story, too. e.g Relationship level between [11], [12] adds an additional level of attack power or defensive capability, multiplied by relationship level. So if relationship level is 1, add 5 ATK. If relationship level is 2, add 10 ATK, and so on.

There's also the possibility of relationship-based attacks, though that will probably require some script modification on my part, so it may not go that far.

For relationship quests it'd be simple enough. If relationship level = X, quest begins. If not, nothing happens.

As far as mini-games go, I'm not sure. I know how to do basic puzzles, I'd have to check and see if a mini-game script exists. I like the thought of maybe a CCG in-game or something, like Triple Triad.

LL1Yc5i.gif

#4 Galactus

Galactus

Megabyte

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationSpace

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

That sounds great. I am surprised it can have that much customization of the game creation. When the time comes, and you are finished with the making of it. Will I need RPG maker to play it? Or will it be a stand-alone application?

Mini games can be anything really. If you can't add something awesome like a CCG, which sounds pretty hard to do. You could make something like fishing? Or hunting grounds? How about raising a pet?

#5 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

I'm sure a pet would be easy enough. Could possibly work it into a party member. I know I can set up a script and system enabling the player to capture enemies and have them in the party, so a pet wouldn't be all that different. I'd just need to work out a system of raising it. Probably via items that can only be used on that particular character/pet. I'd just disable leveling on it, and instead have items (random drops/chest loot/shop purchased) that permanently increase its stats. That I can do easily.

From what I gather, you need something called an RTP to play it. It's downloadable for free, so it's not too bad. I'm not entirely sure how it would impact the more custom aspects, I'll have to do some research on that.

LL1Yc5i.gif

#6 Galactus

Galactus

Megabyte

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationSpace

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

I look forward to playing it. :P

#7 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

It'll take a while :P I've racked up over 30 hours work already, and all I've got are three characters, four maps and a random encounter system that can make it impossible for the player to win the tutorial battle, lol.

LL1Yc5i.gif

#8 Galactus

Galactus

Megabyte

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationSpace

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

I don't mind being a guinea pig if you need someone to test it.

#9 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

Looks nice. What kind of scripting engine does it use?

#10 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

I don't mind being a guinea pig if you need someone to test it.

Once I have a little more to play with I'll put up a proper demo.

Looks nice. What kind of scripting engine does it use?

It runs on Ruby, so I'm trying to learn it as I go. You can do quite a lot with the base engine, but using Ruby scripts can turn it into a whole different animal.

LL1Yc5i.gif

#11 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

Wow, I don't think I've seen many game makers use Ruby. That's nice though, it's a good language and something I wish I had an excuse to use.

#12 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

So far I've only dabbled with a tiny amount of it. I want to get some of the core events set up before I mess with anything that could completely alter the gameplay engine. >_> Not sure how but earlier I managed to trap the player character in a walking loop.

LL1Yc5i.gif

#13 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

lol, the joys of being able to tell a computer what to do.

#14 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

Looks pretty nice. http://www.rpgrevolution.com/ is the resource site I used when I was doing these sorts of games, it might help you out.

As far as the relationships and multiple endings. I was working on a game that had a karma system of good and bad that changed how the character progressed through the game. It can be done, and relatively easily. With multiple relationships it's going to take a bit more work though.

As far as distribution, the games can be packaged with the RTP and all custom things packaged in, so it installs just like a normal game.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#15 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

Oh neat, I'll have to look through that site. I've mainly been checking out stuff on the I guess official forums? www.rpgmakervxace.net and its sister sites. I may end up buying some resource packs eventually, but for now I'm going to work off free stuff lol.

For the relationships aspect, it would probably be along the lines of each character having a designated partner. That's my theory, at least. If possible I could also incorporate that into the multiple endings aspect and base some of them on romances, so Dragon Age/Mass Effect style stuff where it doesn't totally affect what happens, but it adds like, an extra little skit/cutscene depending on who you pursue and such.

Didn't know that about packaging, thanks. That'll make things a lot easier for me >_>

One thing I'm definitely interested in, probably not for this project but another I have a few little ideas for, is http://resources.rpg...turistic-tiles/

There are so few real futuristic RPGs, it'd be awesome to put one together at some point. I may start working on some theories for that if I have downtime from this project. I'm averaging 9-10 hours per day on this lol

LL1Yc5i.gif

#16 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

I'm not sure how it is now, but a few years ago it was much better than the official site, lots of free resources and premade code.

It'd be neat if you added the relationships into the endings. And as far as the packing, I don't know exactly how in VX, but I'm sure you can figure it out pretty easy.

A futuristic RPG would be fun, or something like FF7/Chrono Trigger where it's a mix.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#17 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

As far as futuristic goes, I'm thinking along the lines of Star Ocean. You know, full-blown futuristic space travel shit. I could even incorporate a story I half-wrote >_>'

Yeah, some resources are free. Some aren't, which is a bummer. But I guess it could be worth it, once I have a little more income.

LL1Yc5i.gif

#18 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

I will totally write you a boss battle song if you want. =P

This looks awesome though. ^__^
I don't think he needs to be immortal. I think all he needs to do is to write the right story. Because some stories do live forever.

#19 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

I will totally write you a boss battle song if you want. =P

This looks awesome though. ^__^

If she doesn't, I'll take you up on this for future use. >.>
nmjUGDL.jpg

#20 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

For reals, I would be happy to.
Metal is my specialty, but I can also do symphonic stuff on Reason 4.0.
I don't think he needs to be immortal. I think all he needs to do is to write the right story. Because some stories do live forever.