#1 Cthulhu

Cthulhu

The Hick

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationDixieland

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:28 AM

Anyone else use 'em?

While I prefer hardcovers over anything else, I think e-readers are definitely more convenient, with the ability to purchase stories without getting out of the house, fast downloads, and much lower prices. My experience with trying to read comics on it was...not great, though.

#2 Dasherman

Dasherman

Megabyte

• Members
  • 496 posts
  • LocationAzeroth and Sanctuary, simultaneously by using quantum powers

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:53 AM

For a book I like it hardcover, just because I'm used to it.
The problem with e-readers is that tablets can be used to read books too, but have a lot of features apart from that as well.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
(//MihiPotestasSit\\)

#3 (V) (`m`) (V) ︵ ┻━┻

(V) (`m`) (V) ︵ ┻━┻

Forever in debt to your priceless advice.

• Members
  • 10,996 posts
  • LocationThey're coming to take me away..

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

I have a kindle I really love, but I don't have the funds yet to get the books I've been wanting on it so it's been dormant for a while.

I do however prefer physical books, especially old ones.

The kindle is just more convenient and easier to appease my tastes at the time.

ΝΙΨΟΝ ΑΝΟΜΗΜΑΤΑ ΜΗ ΜΟΝΑΝ ΟΨΙΝ

obazNZl.gif

#4 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

While I do find ebook readers convenient, I really like holding the book in my hand, and when I get my own house, I would love a small library, which would be hard to fill if all I had were ebooks.

#5 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

I'm a little bit nomadic, (on hiatus from travel for a moment, but not forever) so I enjoy them. It's far too difficult to travel with books, and they tend to disintegrate when packed into a backpack.

I actually really like to read books on my phone. It's easier than carrying around a second device.
I don't think he needs to be immortal. I think all he needs to do is to write the right story. Because some stories do live forever.

#6 veryangryfairy

veryangryfairy

Byte

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDK

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

I prefer paperback. But I'm thinking of getting a Kobo Arc. I don't know, it's easier than carrying around 2-3 books in the bag (mostly because I hate bags), and that's about how many books I read at a time.
But I have around 300 books on my shelves at home, and I plan on getting loads more. So anything I get as e-book, I would also get as real book (if I like it).

#7 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

I prefer paperback. But I'm thinking of getting a Kobo Arc. I don't know, it's easier than carrying around 2-3 books in the bag (mostly because I hate bags), and that's about how many books I read at a time.
But I have around 300 books on my shelves at home, and I plan on getting loads more. So anything I get as e-book, I would also get as real book (if I like it).

That's a very good idea. Since books are cheaper in ebook format, you can save money, and grab the hard copy for the shelves when you just feel like picking something out and rereading it.

#8 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

My nook is cool, but I've bought more physical books since i bought it almost a year ago. The bigger tablets are cool, but bulky. My little nook slips into my cargopants. If I tried that with the huge tablet my parents bought, I'd either shred my pants or I'd be lookin like a fool with my pants on the ground.
Where the little electro-books shines is proofreading. Stuff I'd miss looking at my computer screen pop out like Punxsutawney Phil on Feb 2nd when I load it onto the nook. Same thing with formatting. If something's off with the html jibber-jabber the epub looks gnarled and twisted on the nook. Makes the whole writing process a hellva lot easier.
It's handy for video games too. Convert a walkthrough from the interweb then throw it on. Takes up way less space than the same document on a laptop on my legs. Plus, it reminds me of when I was a kid and took notes on a book-sized loose leaf.

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store