#21 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:59 PM

The breakdown in my mind is as follows:

A nerd is an intellectual who frequents the realm of fantasy and high adventure when they are not musing on the ins and outs of life as we know it.

A geek is sometimes an intellectual who thrives on frequent exposure to the realm of fantasy and high adventure and rarely thinks about much else.

That is it.
There are no other categories.
Social prowess do not play in to my scheme.
I consider myself to be a nerd, yet I am the furthest thing from social inept.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#22 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

Where passion meets obsession, nerds rein free. That's what truly defines a nerd, passion beyond the norm.
I like the chart, it's hilarious, but by the logic presented, Howard Cosell could be labeled a nerd.
And I’m not sure social ineptitude is synonymous with nerdness. I knew a guy back in high school who was charismatic and likeable. (Think Makoto Kousaka from Genshiken. This guy, if you don't know who I mean)
And with the advent of modern gaming, nerd-like qualities have became more mainstream. All stereotypical school archetypes have some for of nerdy interest now. Even indi people try to act nerdy because its cool. The Big Bang Theory is a hugely popular show. (Although most people I know who watch it don't catch the true nerdy jokes) In short, nerds are cool.
...Someone let the girls know.

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store

#23 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

Nerd culture has become mainstream, whether some people like it or not. It's not an insult anymore, I don't think there are many people who would say they aren't a nerd, even if their definition is just spending prolonged time on facebook. Because of shows like TBBT (even though I'm not a huge fan of it), a lot of things are surfacing to the general public, Magic: The Gathering and World of Warcraft being the two that I've seen the most being picked up by my friends after being influenced by the show... Which is cool, it means you'll find more people that share your interests, or at least you'll have people at least trying stuff like D&D because that one episode of Community captured their interest and imagination. I know first hand how just trying new things like that can introduce you to an amazing community you never knew existed in your town.

But perhaps the word "nerd" has sort of lost it's power, or a definition, if that makes sense. In today's society, being called a nerd isn't based on intelligence, obsession, or social ineptitude. It kind of compares itself to 'cool' or another overused term.

Just my word vomit for the day.

#24 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

I've got passion in my pants and I'm not afraid to show it, show it, show it....I'm a nerd and I know it.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#25 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:28 AM

I've got passion in my pants and I'm not afraid to show it, show it, show it....I'm a nerd and I know it.

Yikes, I would prefer it if you would keep it in there bro ;)
THE HELL YOU READING FOOL???

#26 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

I make no promises.

#27 abanerd10000

abanerd10000

Byte

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • LocationRiding the curiosity rover

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:11 AM

I'm by faaaar a nerd!
Don't be stupid...

#28 monty kumar

monty kumar

Bit

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNoida

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:12 AM

Nerd is specified to someone who is interested in computers and  other technology related concept.

Nerd forum provides every individual with relevant information regarding technology and other concepts.

#29 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:52 AM

Thanks for the description, Monty. 

nmjUGDL.jpg

#30 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:38 PM

He's the hero Nerdforum deserves, but not the one it needs right now.

#31 ทหารราบ

ทหารราบ

Megabyte

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, United States

Posted 12 August 2016 - 04:45 PM

According to the diagram, I'm a nerd and dork smoothie.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: feedback, the rob$tar