Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

All males seem to be very concerned with repopulating :lol:

Not all.
Not I.
It may be on my list of concerns, but it is at the very bottom.
You would need a substantial breeding population and enough space to actually spread out to.
Which isn't happening in a zombie apocalypse.
I think the best odds that have been deduced for population survival is ten percent tops.
So ninety percent of the planter is now trying to eat the remaining ten percent.
If the ten percent manage to survive that, most of which certainly will not, you had better hope that there are enough people left to have enough genetic variance to make strong enough offspring to thrive. All of that is a problem that would have to be settled after the dust has settled, if we survive.
Until that point day to day survival is key.
If communities happen to crop up when survivors meet and band together, awesome, but having that step be in a survival plan is thinking a little bit too large in my opinion.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#44 Galactus

Galactus

Megabyte

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationSpace

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

You're right. It is more long term thinking, after the survival plan has succeeded.

#45 dodonique

dodonique

Megabyte

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • LocationHere. There. Everywhere.

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

Yeah, it's kind of an aftermath plan. I don't encourage repopulating in the middle of the zombie apocalypse...it's risky

To be human is to err so...err

#46 Galactus

Galactus

Megabyte

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationSpace

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

Plus more mouths to feed. No bueno.

#47 dodonique

dodonique

Megabyte

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • LocationHere. There. Everywhere.

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

Seriously! And childbirth would be tricky during that time...not worth it.

To be human is to err so...err

#48 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

1. Put all my weapons in some kind of harness that I can carry, either by hand or across my back. (Two katanas, a Souba, a Gunblade, a Taichi straightsword, Hadhafang, magnetic serrated ninjato splitsword, two curved daggers, six black steel throwing needles, a dragon spear which I believe is classified as a kagiyari)
2. Take my motorcycle to my gf's apartment.
3. Hide there.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#49 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

I used to have a perfect zombie apocalypse setup. I used to live in Northern Minnesota, within a reasonable day-or-two trek (on foot) of my parent's hobbyfarm, in the middle of nowhere. Complete with sled dogs to act as guards, livestock to breed and eventually eat, and fields for planting. Oh, and a small forest which could be harvested for palisades.

Now I live on the East Coast, so that's more problematic. Fortunately I live near the coast, so I could potentially grab a sailboat and take off. With the right tools and supplies, I could probably survive almost indefinitely on a large enough boat.
I have friends who could help me sail a large one, too.

As far as weaponry, I am *mean* with a sledgehammer. One part of my occupation involves hitting a quarter-sized target with a ten-pound sledge, repeatedly, hard, and without missing. But I don't think fighting zombies would be a huge problem, honestly. My plan would probably not involve much zombie-killing at all. Which is good, because I'd feel really bad about it. <_<
I don't think he needs to be immortal. I think all he needs to do is to write the right story. Because some stories do live forever.

#50 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

I used to have a perfect zombie apocalypse setup. I used to live in Northern Minnesota, within a reasonable day-or-two trek (on foot) of my parent's hobbyfarm, in the middle of nowhere. Complete with sled dogs to act as guards, livestock to breed and eventually eat, and fields for planting. Oh, and a small forest which could be harvested for palisades.

Now I live on the East Coast, so that's more problematic. Fortunately I live near the coast, so I could potentially grab a sailboat and take off. With the right tools and supplies, I could probably survive almost indefinitely on a large enough boat.
I have friends who could help me sail a large one, too.

As far as weaponry, I am *mean* with a sledgehammer. One part of my occupation involves hitting a quarter-sized target with a ten-pound sledge, repeatedly, hard, and without missing. But I don't think fighting zombies would be a huge problem, honestly. My plan would probably not involve much zombie-killing at all. Which is good, because I'd feel really bad about it. <_<

Not a terrible setup as far as your location goes.
Though you would be a prime location for others to raid/destroy to attain your assets on that farm.

As far as your weaponry, sledgehammers are a no go as far as I am concerned.
Yes you may be accurate, and versed in the use of one, but that is one heavy bastard to lug around with you everywhere.
This would make you slower, which is the exact opposite of what would be useful against shambling undead, and you would burn way more energy than you should be swinging it when you do have encounters that you would require more sustenance to keep up your strength. Thus lowering your food stores much faster than if you wielded a light weapon. So you would be reducing your chances of survival in several different fields.

I am not saying you couldn't make it work, just that it wouldn't be worth the effort to go that route.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#51 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

Honestly weaponry wouldn't be a focus of mine.
I do some parkour (not enough to be *really* im pressive, but enough to evade obese cops and the undead)
So I'd most likely be all about evasion.

I could carry an axe, and that'd be lighter, but it's my understanding that it would be likely to get stuck at inconvenient times. A metal bat would be nice, but I don't have immediate access to one.
So the sledge is kinda my best bet for my situation. A pin maul can be pretty light, and one of it comes to a reasonably pointy spike.
I wouldn't have to travel far with it to get to a boat. Eight miles at the most. And then it could serve as a tool.
I don't think he needs to be immortal. I think all he needs to do is to write the right story. Because some stories do live forever.

#52 DolphFungren

DolphFungren

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

I would like to say that all "plans" are good. But it honestly is all situational. I mean. For example. I live on the second floor of an apartment complex in a not so busy area. Perfect for a spot to wait out some time. I have enough food and water to last me a few days. The stairs are easily destroyed and i have a weapon or two. So wait. I plan on waiting for about a week. Anyone turning into one has turned and all I need to do is call people. It does take a little longer than a week for all power and lines to be cut out. Just might have to use landlines. Meet up with people. Find a decent secure place. Fortify. Survive.

batman_003_01.jpg

#53 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

To be fair, an zombie outbreak would be pretty easy to contain I think, if it's not an airborne virus and only passes through bodily fluids then you get the army in to nullify the source of the infection and then fan out. National news bulletins ordering for calm and for people to stay in there houses. There was a similar thing after 7/7 when the government was worried Iraq and her allies would send long range missiles at us or something.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#54 Ashems

Ashems

Byte

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

I'm ashamed to admit that I've kind of neglected zombie apocalypse thoughts.. I got started, then got side tracked with life. >_< I live across the street from a big windowless industrial building which I've been meaning to find out more about. The windowless feature is a big plus though. I live in an inner city type location too, there's a lot of places with reinforced windows too. Pretty sweet deal. I definitely have a decent team lined up. My kids are somewhat of a liability, but I've gotten quite attached to them so they're in. Haha. Luckily they're passed their crying about everything and anything stage. :P

This post has gotten me back on track to planning. :D

#55 LonesomeDrifter

LonesomeDrifter

Byte

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

I live in a remote location and have access to a clean water well. I have transport, I'm surrounded by farmland, mostly cattle farms. I own a katana and a crossbow. I also have a copy of The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks, so I'm sorted.

#56 Ashems

Ashems

Byte

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

I also have a copy of The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks, so I'm sorted.

Excellent book, so popular though. Had to wait forever to get it from the library.

#57 Matty_poo

Matty_poo

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

To those making plans, good. Scientists recently have brought back mice from after death by revitalizing cells. Obviously this is a long way off from testing on humans but these animals have been released back into the wild to observe how long they last (so those who live in remote locations, not as safe as you think)

Mighty horse rocks, he rocks the fat ass. 

youtube.com/Geekcitypodcast

soundcloud.com/newgeekcity

#58 Zophin1

Zophin1

Bit

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:08 AM

Even if it means risking my life, I would load up on guns and ammo, load up on food, take the Ute out and look for survivors. I'd help those in need because it's who I am :)

#59 Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove

Byte

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationOoo

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

Well I don't know about you guys but I live in the Northern Beaches in Sydney, Australia. We ain't got WalMart or guns, but I got a house high up with good vantage points, 2 crossbows, a longbow (plenty of bolts and arrows) a home built mortar launcher me and a few mates put together and a few recipes for pipe bombs with the ingredients (you get innovative when you cant get a gun). In case of bug-out i would take small light weapons, knives, an axe or a bat. So the plan is, we'd pretty much build a moat around the house, put a few dozen star pickets (long spiky poles in the shape of a star) (moat is 3m deep by 1.5m across) in the bottom, so that they can fall in and chillbang around. Also we have 12 hearty chickens and a lamb currently, as well as quite a lot of tinned food and readily available long life foods, water and obviously shelter, so food and water is bountiful. There is a 2m fence surrounding our house also, and the underneath of our house (not where moat is going) is solid rock so if the bastards learn how to dig, they ain't getting in under us! We have about a half dozen large solar panels which generate a substantial amount of power, and Bunnings, Woolworths and Coles are just down the road, and it'd be easy to duck in, duck out with a shload* of supplies (Panadol, other painkillers and medical/food supplies), as long as there aren't any zombles around. That's if we decide to protect the house!

Possibly Helpful Tips: don't drink tapwater, zombies may have tainted the source where it comes from, but if its from your rainwater tank it should be fine (I would boil in case the infection is airborne). Don't go out alone, at least have someone watching or within communication boundaries. Don't get eaten, or try not to. If you get separated from your group, or are just ridin' solo, be careful! Watch where you go, zombies have poor eyesight (from what I've gathered), so they would rely heavily on senses like touch (vibrations), smell (fresh flesh smells gewd to the zombie) and also hearing (so be shh). Remember, hunting and fishing skills = useful knowledge, in case you need to forage or get food from mother nature to survive.

Well, that's my thoughts anyway. I don't know if us Aussies will even be hit with an infection, but you never know... if we do I don't plan on staying at the house for long, I aim for staying at least 2 months max into the zombie 'revolution' so it can die (lol) down, grab the ute, supplies, and then head north west. Lot's of bush pretty much all over the east coast, not sure about y'all in the USA. But anyway that's what I'd do! Or grab a nice lookin' yacht from the yacht club down the road and head to sea, but aanyway... I love getting onto zombie survival topics! Even though I know one won't happen I want to be somewhat prepared :P Tell me your opinions etc, what you would change or whatnot as well! :D

*Shload = shit load.

nigel-thornberry-beauty-beast-2.gif

"Smashing!" - Nigel Thornberry