23 replies to this topic

#1 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

So I want to get D&D to play with my friends over winter. Can someone post a link to a place I can buy it off of? I think I found the starter kit but there are so many different versions, and expansions of D&D I don't know if its the right one. Someone wanna help out? O,o

Lp5M62Z.gif

#2 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

You don't wanna play dungeons and dragons...

#3 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

You don't wanna play dungeons and dragons...

Why not?

Lp5M62Z.gif

#4 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

Do you have

1. A ludicrous amount of free time?
2. Accessibility to company for extended periods of time, multiple nights of the week?
3.Someone who isn't a scumbag to play DM?

If you have the above three things, you still don't want to play DnD

#5 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:48 AM

Do you have

1. A ludicrous amount of free time?
2. Accessibility to company for extended periods of time, multiple nights of the week?
3.Someone who isn't a scumbag to play DM?

If you have the above three things, you still don't want to play DnD

Um... Well I would have to say yes to all 3. I think it would just be my buddy and probably my dad playing it with my. If we don't play that we would play Axis and Allies.

Lp5M62Z.gif

#6 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

Yeah, for a good experience you're going to want upwards of 3 people.

1 person is going to have to be DM, meaning he won't have a character, he'll just be setting up the dungeons and controlling the monsters.

The more players you have, the more options the DM will have, and the better the game will play. With only 2 or 3 people the best you could do would be... maybe small, easy dungeons? Maybe some travel or survival? Idunno, but there isn't much to do.

Try to find more people, and if you do decide to play, use online resources, because the DnD books are expensive, and you need alot of them.

You'll need, IIRC

Player Manual, edition of your choice
Dungeon Master's Guide
Monster Manual 1, 2 and 3 are good too
Map pieces
Player pieces
Character Sheets [a few are included with the player manual, I would copy them]
Die of various types, at least 1 of each [D4, D6, D8, D12, D20]

All the books are necessary, and all of them cross reference eachother. Also, the MM will have Character templates, for non-standard characters [Half-dragons, werewolves, etc.]

#7 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

Yeah, for a good experience you're going to want upwards of 3 people.

1 person is going to have to be DM, meaning he won't have a character, he'll just be setting up the dungeons and controlling the monsters.

The more players you have, the more options the DM will have, and the better the game will play. With only 2 or 3 people the best you could do would be... maybe small, easy dungeons? Maybe some travel or survival? Idunno, but there isn't much to do.

Try to find more people, and if you do decide to play, use online resources, because the DnD books are expensive, and you need alot of them.

You'll need, IIRC

Player Manual, edition of your choice
Dungeon Master's Guide
Monster Manual 1, 2 and 3 are good too
Map pieces
Player pieces
Character Sheets [a few are included with the player manual, I would copy them]
Die of various types, at least 1 of each [D4, D6, D8, D12, D20]

All the books are necessary, and all of them cross reference eachother. Also, the MM will have Character templates, for non-standard characters [Half-dragons, werewolves, etc.]

Dang.... Well thanks for the help. :P

Lp5M62Z.gif

#8 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

If only there were a valid way of playing it online. I'd love to get into D&D, but I just don't know enough people willing to play it irl.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#9 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

If only there were a valid way of playing it online. I'd love to get into D&D, but I just don't know enough people willing to play it irl.

It would be pretty sick if they made a online board game version...

Lp5M62Z.gif

#10 Cthulhu

Cthulhu

The Hick

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationDixieland

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

I too would like to give it a shot. Board games are fun, and this has always sounded like mega board game fun...and overwhelming.

#11 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

I too would like to give it a shot. Board games are fun, and this has always sounded like mega board game fun...and overwhelming.

Pretty much... But from what Wolf just said I don't know if I wanna play it.

Lp5M62Z.gif

#12 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

I disagree with Wolfie. (No offense. Just hearts. <3 ) You don't need all of that stuff.
You can get by with just the Player's Handbook and a set of dice if you are willing to get a little bit creative.

I recommend 3.5 edition, if only because I started on it and I tend to like it best.

D&D can be a good starting point for learning to enjoy tabletop roleplaying games. There are better systems out there, but they aren't as ubiquitous. So go for it, dude. And feel free to play with three players. More is better, but three is okay too. Especially for experimental games.

Also, I know there are online platforms for playing D&D. Even something as simple as an IM program with dice rolling function suffices just fine. There are more complicated ones too, which are great. http://roll20.net/ <---That one in particular worked quite nicely for me and my friends, aside from occasional, benign glitching.
I don't think he needs to be immortal. I think all he needs to do is to write the right story. Because some stories do live forever.

#13 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

You can get by with just the Player's Handbook and a set of dice if you are willing to get a little bit creative.

Not when your DM is a stickler T_T

but seriously, I didn't know there were sites for that kidna thing. Best I had seen was an installed program that was basically a MUD. Good find.

#14 Diabolical_Jazz

Diabolical_Jazz

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

I have a strict policy that I don't play D&D with DM's who actually take the rules seriously.
I've tried. It's terrible. I kinda wanted to punch the guy.

And yeah, Roll20 is a neat program. I always keep an eye out for that sort of thing, because I have a lot of friends who live far away and I love tabletop roleplaying games.
I don't think he needs to be immortal. I think all he needs to do is to write the right story. Because some stories do live forever.

#15 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

Try Call of Cthulhu, it's slightly simpler, similar, you don't need more than 5 people including the DM, it's scary and...well...Cthulhu. Plus you ca nstretch the rules to make online game play a possibility. I nearly ran a CoC game once on a forum but then I cba.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#16 DolphFungren

DolphFungren

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

I disagree with Wolfie. (No offense. Just hearts. <3 ) You don't need all of that stuff.

I recommend 3.5 edition, if only because I started on it and I tend to like it best.

D&D can be a good starting point for learning to enjoy tabletop roleplaying games. There are better systems out there, but they aren't as ubiquitous. So go for it, dude. And feel free to play with three players. More is better, but three is okay too. Especially for experimental games.

Also, I know there are online platforms for playing D&D. Even something as simple as an IM program with dice rolling function suffices just fine. There are more complicated ones too, which are great. http://roll20.net/ <---That one in particular worked quite nicely for me and my friends, aside from occasional, benign glitching.

I agree. Only thing. Try ADVANCED D&D. 2nd edition. Its sooooo much easier and gives you free reign over it rather than having to keep up with so much. But....I Do love some 3.5

batman_003_01.jpg

#17 No-Danico

No-Danico

Danger Zone

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

Try ADVANCED D&D. 2nd edition. Its sooooo much easier and gives you free reign over it rather than having to keep up with so much. But....I Do love some 3.5

This, although I disagree with 3.5. 2nd was straightforward, you didn't need a subskill for every task. (Gotta climb a tree?Roll STR or DEX. Need to carry a horse? STR orCON.) It'd be better for beginners anyway.
Also, I fully agree that the rules restrict was can be done and games are always more fun when you bend them, but if you are just starting out, play by them. As you play, you'll figure out what things you and your group want to fully ignore. (We never bothered keeping up with basic equipment. Food and the like unless it mattered in the campaign.)
The game was a lot of fun back in high school, and some of my friends still play. But they live closer by and have more free time.

ElectricSevereKatydid.gif

My first novel, Seeds of Magic- Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony Store

#18 Timathor Aznerac

Timathor Aznerac

Byte

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

I play D&D with my friends all the time. We use the 4 edition monster Manuel, dungeon masters Manuel and use first edition player's manuel. We get some pretty epic games going especially since I'm the Dungeon Master.
One man is judged not by his strength but by his intellectual strength.

#19 Beavercannon123

Beavercannon123

Byte

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

I think that D&D is a great game. When I play with my friends, we have some pretty epic adventures. our dungeon master makes great things for us to fight. it really is a great game.
WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THE WORD THE?...........THINK ABOUT IT

#20 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:03 PM

I've gotten into playing D&D with my friends lately, five of us (soon to be six), including the DM, though two of us are inexperienced. It's a bit difficult. Our Dm didn't want us min-maxing so we created characters on our own and shared them after. Our team is literally  just pansies, the DM had to adjust or we would have been crushed the first battle. I also think I picked a bit of a challenging character to play with for my first time (an elf wizard). I find I have no health and I can't do much more than parlor tricks and minor damage for now (though it really fits the background I created for her, I guess)

I see where I want my character to go, but it's a bit harder than just text roleplaying that I'm used to. There's a bit of acting involved and I find it a bit difficult. I think I'm starting to get into the swing of things? But mostly I just got my first set of dice yesterday (my boyfriend got annoyed with me swiping his and just fiddling with his d20, we jotted down to the general nerdery store down the road and got me my own set). I can't stop admiring them and playing with them, they're really cool.