Photo

IE Filters seem to be making a comeback in CSS3.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 flcl_grim

flcl_grim

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:21 AM

New CSS filters are being developed and tested by Adobe in hopes of releasing them next year.

Play around with them here:
http://html.adobe.co...s/cssfilterlab/

#2 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:07 AM

People stopped using filters?

Every uncreative forum sig begs to differ.

But still, that's a neat find. I wonder what they will bring to the filter table.

#3 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:27 AM

The filter prop itself is fairly new - but text-stroke (aka drop shadow) and box-shadow (aka glow) have been out for a while.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it, some of the filters are really resource hungry.

(also, adobe isn't developing them. >.> there's a guy from adobe on the w3 board I believe, but the browser vendors are the ones who actually have to develop it)

#4 flcl_grim

flcl_grim

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

That is what bothers me. w3 was created as a method of standardizing the web.
Yet webkit, gecko, and other engines are trying to ruin that by introducing their own implementations of the same ideas.
I, personally, blame <blink> for starting it all.

#5 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

Actually, the w3 board is comprised of people from all of the major vendors. I *think* adobe has a spot, I know MS/google and moz have a spot.

When they do stuff with vendor specific prefixes (ie -webkit-transition) it's simply because its not ready to be released yet, but the stuff is in the draft.

#6 flcl_grim

flcl_grim

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

Oh, okay. That makes a bit more sense.
So is HTML5 not actually web standard yet, or are the exclusive tags just further implementations that have not been absorbed by the standard?

#7 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

It's still a work-in-progress but if you see it in a browser there's a good chance it's in the draft.