3 replies to this topic

#1 Chukkzy

Chukkzy

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

I have Desura installed on my Windows and sometimes a interesting Indie games pop up on the frontpage, so today I noticed a game that looked interesting to me because of its oldschool charme..."PINEAPPLE SMASH CREW" which I bought tonight (also available on Steam).

Its inspired by Cannonfodder, the classic Amiga and PC game where you had to click a squad of soldiers over a map, killing anything in the way with your guns and grenades.
I say inspired because the game draws some ideas from it while still being its very own kind. Imagine one of these oldschool 2D top down games where you had to roam a spaceship or facility, destroying enemies, robots and defensive weaponry. The game states that the levels are being generated new each time, so if that is true it literally has unlimited replay value.
Now you command your little squad of 4 soldiers with the WASD keys, targetting with the mouse... As stated before, grenades are important in this game, many enemies are tough as nails and the only way to effectively get to them is by using grenades (which also come in different flavours, one rocket coming up! Who ordered the proximity mine?)

Another sensation (in my ears at least) is the music, oldschool chiptunes are heard and also the soundeffects are very C64 inspired, while never being cheap. Its vintage at its best. Too bad there is no demo (yet), but if you like oldschool games like Cannonfodder or (to an extent) Paradroid the you will like this game most probably.

Posted Image

#2 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:43 PM

This game looks incredibly fun, form the gameplay you've posted at least. I think I'll have to pick it up off steam.
It seems like indie games are really the best option currently anyways.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#3 Chukkzy

Chukkzy

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:31 AM

Well I do not have much time at the moment and also many games I did not really play yet like Assasins Creed II or LA Noire, so I do not want to stack more games I never play really unless its an offer I can not refuse. ;) And often enough I find these Indie games much more original than the mainstream huge productions (Which often are just only the next FPS game). Also I enjoy the nostalgia value and how you can bring old concepts into this millenium. God I sound like a shaman speaking of my old gods. XD
Posted Image

#4 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:46 AM

I've become a pretty big fan of the indie games myself, recently they are the only really unique games out. Like you said, all the new stuff is just a shooter with better graphics, and as much as I enjoy shooting people in the head, I really don't need that many different choices.
nmjUGDL.jpg