• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

So yeah. Recently Firefox has started acting up, but I have no idea why. It underlines random words online and puts an ad in them. Like this.

Posted Image

Don't suppose anyone knows how to fix it? It's pissing me off >.>

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#2 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

Is it on specific sites or every site?

#3 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

It's across any site I visit. News sites, Facebook, forums etc.

LL1Yc5i.gif

#4 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

You've got a case of ad-ware. Don't enter a credit card number into anywhere and don't log into anything secure that you haven't already done since it started.

Run a virus scan if you have one, if you don't...

Download OTL - it isn't an anti-virus but it will spit out a log that will let me know what specifically is wrong.
Once downloaded simply "Run Scan" with default values. It should output a text file (or two, I can't remember) in the location that it ran. Upload those and send me a link.

#5 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

Mkay, I've got these.

http://pastebin.com/Eiy0ghmi

and

http://pastebin.com/v9ws6yCA

I'm also running an AVG scan, which hasn't picked anything up yet, but is over 1.3 million files scanned. I should probably clean this computer up sometime >.>

LL1Yc5i.gif

#6 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

Hm, nothing in the logs seems suspicious. Hold down the windows key, hit r. Type in msconfig and hit enter. Anything suspicious showing under the startup tab? (random goobly gobbly name, something you don't recognize as installing, etc)

#7 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

There's a few I don't remember installing, but searching them up online doesn't show them as malicious. Stuff like Akamai NetSession (which is related to Netflix apparently: why I've got it I don't know, but I've disabled it anyways) Everything else either came with the computer, or was installed by me (MSN, AIM etc.)

I've flicked through my Firefox extensions/plugins, and I may have found the cause, I'm not entirely certain. There's two that I'm a little concerned by.

downloadUpdater 1.1.0.2 - Description field "npdnu"
downloadUpdater2 1.3.0.0 - Description field "npdnupdater2"

I've also disabled a bunch of toolbars that seem to have secretly installed themselves to Firefox. >.>

Edit: Well, they seem to be gone now. Whatever I disabled must've been the cause >.> Now to figure out how to avoid this shit in future. xD

LL1Yc5i.gif

#8 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

Ah, good. Passwords are fine then. ;p It was probably just bundled with something else you installed.

#9 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

Yeah when you mentioned credit card info I kinda shat myself because I updated my Amazon payment card yesterday, as well as Paypal >.> Thanks for the help :D Hopefully it won't come back.

LL1Yc5i.gif

#10 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

Someone at work got something like this in chrome the other day, it was a pain in the ass to uninstall.

Also, I'd completely remove the extensions, not just disable them.
http://support.mozil...-remove-add-ons
nmjUGDL.jpg

#11 Rainbowdialer

Rainbowdialer

Bit

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:25 AM

Have any of you seen an app on Chrome or Firefox that is listed as RemoveTaheAdApp. It was flagged by my avast! scan after I ran a full scan when my email spammed my contacts. Prior to the email incident I had not had any suspicious issues except for random window errors with Chrome. I could not permanently remove that weird extension that I don't remember downloading off Chrome so I just uninstalled. I can't seem to find anything anywhere on the web about that weird extension. Super confused!

#12 seakingtheonixpected

seakingtheonixpected

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • LocationSomewhere beyond the sea

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:39 AM

My mom has got stuff like this a few games, you get them from downloading stuff from sites like CNET or other exe installer sites.

usually most anti-viruses don't find them, you need to get rid of them manually by going into your uninstalls and search for things you don't recognize.

The last one she had was AD-Save I believe, which is ironically an "ad-blocker" that puts its own ads in instead.

#13 Sethre

Sethre

Giggity-byte

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:39 PM

To avoid issues like this I use Google Chrome and then I have the AdBlock extension which blocks any and all ads. It saves me a lot of headaches when using Twitch and Youtube. 

Lp5M62Z.gif