#1 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

http://www.downrange...aul-howe/13264/

Best video I have seen, and apparently Paul Howe is a certified bad ass. If you don't know how to properly hold and shoot a pistol, definitely check it out.

#2 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

I guess I lucked out. My local gun store had a range and firing classes.

You got a discount on the classes if you bought a handgun, I thought it was a good idea.

#3 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

Definitely a good idea. I have found that most people who aren't comfortable with getting a gun thank me later for getting them into shooting. Once you understand the operation mechanics and have a good feel for your own firearm, it becomes less intimidating. I was surprised at learning how many people DONT have a concept of how guns operate.

#4 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

You Yanks and your guns!

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#5 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

You Yanks and your guns!

they go great with one of these
Posted Image

#6 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

Amurica!

I don't like the concept of letting the general population have access to handguns or other concealable firearms.
Hunting rifles and shotguns are a different story.
They are naturally for hunting, and if someone decides to go looney and shoot up a place it is a lot harder to hide a rifle.

I am not knocking having knowledge of firearms in any way, just the distribution.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#7 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

I agree, I think the laws are a bit liberal in some states. (like here in virginia, i can go buy almost anything from anyone without any government involvement...legally)

With that being said, there are always gonna be loons out and about, my motto is that its better to have one and not need it, than the other way around.

Definitely get yourself a mounted flash light... at least 90 lumens. last thing you want to do is shoot someone in the chest while their in your dark house unarmed.

#8 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

With that being said, there are always gonna be loons out and about, my motto is that its better to have one and not need it, than the other way around.

Unless no one has one, then the chance of you needing a gun yourself goes down quite drastically indeed.

#9 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

Unless no one has one, then the chance of you needing a gun yourself goes down quite drastically indeed.

LoL @ using "gun" and "chance" in the same sentence.

#10 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

Elaborate?

#11 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

I don't see how you could leave something like that to chance. Just because someone doesnt have a gun, doesnt mean they cant hurt you. What about robbery and home invasion?

#12 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

I would rather fight someone breaking into my house with a club or bat than to have a gun.

If it is hard/impossible for the general public to get a hold of handguns then you know that the random civilian trying to break into your house most likely isn't armed with a gun. So you don't need a gun to defend yourself.

It is the exact same principal as far as equal and opposite reaction.
If you are attacked with a gun then yes, it makes sense to want a gun to defend yourself.
But that just escelates the situation.
If guns are removed from the whole scenario, then things are better and safer overall.

As far as training goes, you can just as easily becomes trained in physical combat as you can in projective weapons.
So you would be just as prepared to defend yourself from someone as your would if you had a gun.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#13 LD50

LD50

Mechromancer

• Members
  • 2,053 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:28 PM

guns will never be removed from the scenario. you can pass all the laws you want for gun control, but criminals will still get their hands on them. illegal guns are a multi-billion dollar industry. i was witness to a drive by when i was six years old, do you really thing those people went and purchased those guns from the local gun shop?

there are already many, many laws and regulations regarding guns. no man can just go willy nilly and purchase what they want. getting your concealed and class 3 license is a major pita.

i'd also like to add that i have never owned a firearm in my life.

#14 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

Yes it is easy to get ahold of illegal guns, but if there weren't so many kicking around criminals would have a hell of a time getting their hands on them.
A lot of guns are made because there is a public demand for them, but handguns were a strictly military item there wouldn't be a massive amount of them in existance.
Which would make them much, much harder to get.

People just accept that guns will always be a problem because proper steps are never taken to limit that problem.

#15 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:32 PM

The problem is that you'd have to outlaw them in every country, or they'd still keep getting exported illegally.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#16 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

The problem is that you'd have to outlaw them in every country, or they'd still keep getting exported illegally.

Decent point.

#17 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

I find the whole argument utterly confusing, Britain has one of the lowest rates of gun crime in the world because we simply aren't allowed to own pistols, as Affray said, it's not easy to hide a double barrel shotgun. We get gun caches imported into the UK sometimes but the police always catch them too. I prefer to be trained with my hands and a defence bat than any gun.

#18 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

Agree'd, it is confusing.

One point you have to realize is that the 2nd Amendment of the United States Constitution states that citizens have the right to bare arms. Of course this was before the invention of the kalashnikov and silencers. I was raised to believe that this amendment was put into place so that we could fight back against our own federal government if they ever start to infringe on state rights. Ironically, one key ingredient of being American is a bit of revolution.

As far as police are concerned, we have County, City and State police... All completely separate from the federal government. So police corruption and activity varies from place to place.

With all that in mind, most people here own firearms. Often people have their own weapon cache.

I believe that a small feeble woman, like my 60+ y/o mom should be able to defend herself on her property alone in the country-side. Unfortunately she is past the age of being able to handle a bat or train in hand to hand CQC. Thus, I gave her a .22 caliber pistol since she isnt comfortable with a rifle or shotgun. (a little smaller than a 5.56 NATO for you metric demons)

I would prefer a gun if 2-3 individuals armed with knives or bats came into my home with the intention of taking my belongings or worse. Which does occasionally happen to people. (usually when the criminals "think" nobody is home)

#19 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

I find the whole argument utterly confusing, Britain has one of the lowest rates of gun crime in the world because we simply aren't allowed to own pistols, as Affray said, it's not easy to hide a double barrel shotgun. We get gun caches imported into the UK sometimes but the police always catch them too. I prefer to be trained with my hands and a defence bat than any gun.

The reason it works so well for the UK, and Japan as well, is that they have relatively small, easy to monitor borders. When you get into larger countries like the US, Russia, etc. it becomes harder and harder to do. Not that a ban wouldn't help, just that it wouldn't help as well as in England. Plus there's the whole issue of what to do with all the guns that are already there.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#20 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

The border control is a problem admittedly but it's not something that couldn't be reinforced with good policing where the officers are paid fair wages that won't make them inclined to take bribes. The removal of other guns is as simple as offering monetary incentive to turn your guns in before a set date. It's not like there isn't an external market for weapons. See: Africa.