26 replies to this topic

#1 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:10 AM

So after seeing this article on The Mary Sue, I have to ask, why does this exist?

I've been on the nasty end of this a few times, and it's a horrible feeling to think that someone thinks your faking an interest in something to get attention or to seem more attractive. I'm careful about what I show interest in for this very reason. Even if I hear a conversation I would love to get into, I pass, fearing they'll dismiss me if I don't know absolutely everything. Suddenly you're considered a complete fake if you get something wrong.

On that same note, you can't get into anything with enthusiasm anymore because people are such territorial assholes about things. The response to someone who says they like video games but who's only played the Sims is not to dismiss them completely. Recommend them games.

#2 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

So, wait, being a nerd is a good thing now?...

#3 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

It's because people are stupid.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#4 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

It's in style, didn't you know that? :P
nmjUGDL.jpg

#5 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

I have a friend who does this, she's recently been following this guy around a lot who's interested in politics so whereas two months ago she knew nothing about it, didn't watch the news and didn't even know who Kim Jong Il was, she's now an expert on the Conservative manifesto.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#6 M_GORILLA

M_GORILLA

Megabyte

• Members
  • 510 posts
  • LocationMemphis, tn

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:32 AM

yeah the nerd thing is blowing with the same velocity as being a hipster. you shouldn't worry about what other people think of you, just cause you don't know something to the same level as they do doesn't mean your any less of a nerd. i get that a lot too and i just kinda shrug it off, i'm more into video games and sci-fi than i am comics and table top games. sushi you just gotta like let your freak/nerd flag fly.

#7 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:32 AM

Ever since The Big Bang Theory became popular, it's suddenly cool to be a nerd. Now it's bringing up the "issue" of how much credentials you need to label yourself as a nerd.

Which is pretty silly. You can't categorize people like that.

I have a friend who does this, she's recently been following this guy around a lot who's interested in politics so whereas two months ago she knew nothing about it, didn't watch the news and didn't even know who Kim Jong Il was, she's now an expert on the Conservative manifesto.

Thaaat is quite sad that she feels the need to do that to make herself seem more attractive to him, but I guess at least she learned something,

#8 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:35 AM

It's not even about attraction, he's been friendzoned, as it were. She just floats around different people I guess. Everyone likes to feel included I suppose. That's probably the only reason I go to parties. XD

That and free alcohol.

#9 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

It's in style, didn't you know that? :P

Hipster powers, activate!

I had nerd glasses as a novelty item before anyone knew what they were

I was a furry before it was cool

I'm listening to bands and genres you'll probably never care to hear

Ever since The Big Bang Theory became popular, it's suddenly cool to be a nerd. Now it's bringing up the "issue" of how much credentials you need to label yourself as a nerd.

Which is pretty silly. You can't categorize people like that.

I...

Just...

My head hurts...

#10 Jesse Custer

Jesse Custer

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • LocationXanth

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

we need a nerd cred test. it would have to be extensive considering if you harbor more than a casual interest in something other than football or pussy, it falls into nerd territory.

#11 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:00 AM

I think there is a sort of spectrum. I would put myself into a sort of intermediate area because while I submerge myself in RPGing/ gaming and acquisition of knowledge, I'm not into stuff like 4chan, anime, films or Reddit.

#12 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

I don't understand this logic. It doesn't make you annoying/dumb because you act nerdy (even if you're faking it), you're dumb/annoying because that's just who you are; a dumb/annoying person.

#13 Jesse Custer

Jesse Custer

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • LocationXanth

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

I think there is a sort of spectrum. I would put myself into a sort of intermediate area because while I submerge myself in RPGing/ gaming and acquisition of knowledge, I'm not into stuff like 4chan, anime, films or Reddit.

alas, nerds have their genres. i try not to have an opinion on everything however im a bullshit nerd sometimes on somethings i know nothing about. usually, im sober enough not to hit "post"

#14 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:13 AM

I don't understand this logic. It doesn't make you annoying/dumb because you act nerdy (even if you're faking it), you're dumb/annoying because that's just who you are; a dumb/annoying person.

Agreed, annoying people who mould themselves into any distinct category of person will continue to be annoying.

I know this fake nerd type from personal experience and they are best ignored.
It is no different than a person who pretents to be all about smoking weed if a group of people they want to hang out with does that sort of thing, even if this chameleon of a person has never touched the stuff.
All they want is to fit on somewhere that they feel they can fit in to.
We are all social creatures so it is no surprise that people, especially young girls (the most socially needy things in existence), twist their personas to fit an ever growing social group.

Hell, maybe some of them will accidentaly pick up a good comic book and develope a real interest, or learn something about space-time from an episode of Doctor Who and turn into a real nerd.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#15 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:10 AM

We can only hope.

E: Ironic about the weed thing, I'm sort of that guy. I only touch the stuff once every half year or usually, if that, and I don't profess to know anything about it. I think the main reason people like to get high with me is because it's so out of character. Sort of an ironic enigma if you will.

#16 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

Playing along with a group's mannerisms and habits is one thing, adopting them for your own before you spend any time with them so that you look more appealing to them is a completely different ball of wax.

So I think you fall fairly safely in to the unique individual category.
As much as a person can anyway.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#17 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

Playing along with a group's mannerisms and habits is one thing, adopting them for your own before you spend any time with them so that you look more appealing to them is a completely different ball of wax.

I find both rather silly, you'll be much happier if you just be yourself, and find a group that accepts you

And if nobody accepts you, just pretend to be a furry, it seems to work for alot of people

#18 Jesse Custer

Jesse Custer

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • LocationXanth

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:06 AM

And if nobody accepts you, just pretend to be a furry, it seems to work for alot of people

i'd be a scary furry. ppl would look at me and get all creeped out like they do when they pick up old dirty baby dolls. it would be fun i think :blink:

#19 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

it would be fun i think :blink:

Everyone thinks that

and tbh

It totally is

the cons are great and full of fun, silly people

but there is a line, where you can go from endearing to freaky

and that line is called Therianthropy [aka "I AM an animal, just born a human"]

#20 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

If that's someone's cup of tea I don't see the problem, so long as you aren't causing harm to yourself or someone else or inciting harm, do what ever you like. That's my motto.