80 replies to this topic

#41 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

I actually forgot all about it. Just put a sticky note on my computer so I'll remember to come up with something.

Right on, in that case I am glad that I brought it back up.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#42 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

Yeah, should be able to get something done tomorrow, this weekend should be slow and relaxing hopefully. >.>
nmjUGDL.jpg

#43 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

Yeah, should be able to get something done tomorrow, this weekend should be slow and relaxing hopefully. >.>

As all weekends should be.
Unless you wish them to be otherwise.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#44 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

That's how they should be, but rarely how they are for me. >.>
nmjUGDL.jpg

#45 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:40 AM

In my shop I have recently been contacted by a fellow who loves the Venture Brothers patches that I have listed, and requested a handful of emblems/logos that I did not.

He and his companions are cosplayers and tell me that they cannot find good Venture related patches anywhere but my shop, so that is awesome.

I have also sold a great many Deadpool patches to people who intend to use them for their costumes for events and such, so cosplay is obviously a fairly lucrative avenue for me should I delve right in to it.

Since I know at least a few of you fine, upstanding, Nerdites at the very least dabble in cosplay, I am seeking council.

Which characters/games/anime/anything tend to be prominent among the people who go to these events, or make the clothing for them?

I have a vague idea just from being on the internet like any of us, but if I could gather any sort of intel from people who actually go to/partake in cosplay events I could more accurately target my market.

Any help is greatly appreciated comrades.

#46 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

Depends on the con, really, but almost everything is a subject for cosplay.

People cosplay character's who they feel emotionally connected to, characters that are a strong influence on them.

But as far as any useful information, I see Anime and Video Games the most frequent subject for cosplays. I wish I could give more useful information to help give you ideas, but I can't think of anything.  The nature of cosplay is chaotic, the old and new, the good and bad, popular/occult, all are subjected to cosplay.

What I would do is look at conventions, and craft patches specifically for people who go to them. E3 and other gaming cons, I would do trending video games, main characters, important logos, and stuff like that. Anime cons: do the same for recent animes, and long-standing fan-favorites [FLCL, Gurren Lagann, anything not airing anymore, but still generating discussion]. Bronycon you could do... whatever Brony's like about MLP? 

#47 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:56 AM

So, it has been a while since I posted anything in this thread of mine.

Which means it is about time to rock some socks off of you folk.

I made these a few weeks ago and am quite proud of how they turned out.

MwAuT25.jpg

And the Black Star variant of course.

7wRKoS3.jpg

Just try not to drown in puddles of your own envious drool people.

The links to the listings for anyone who wants more:

https://www.etsy.com...agon-ball-pack?

https://www.etsy.com...agon-ball-pack?

#48 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:08 AM

Out of curiosity, what sort of profit percentage do you make from etsy vs your brick and mortar place?

nmjUGDL.jpg

#49 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:21 AM

My actual factual shop tends to fluctuate.

We are fairly new (currently in our second year) so we don't yet have serious regulars every month.

Whereas my patches are growing at a continuous rate.

Plus, the internet makes me available worldwide. As opposed to my small town situated embroidery shop.

Some months my Etsy shop profits surpass my actual factual shop profits by at least a few hundred dollars.

As far as actual profit percentage goes, my patches are far more lucrative considering what it actually costs to create them.

Materials and time wise they are cheaper and faster to create and distribute than clothing of any sort.

They are nearly 100% profit when it comes down to brass tacks.

#50 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:00 AM

That's actually really freaking cool.

I need to get a mill and an etsy account. >.>

nmjUGDL.jpg

#51 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

Anything it particular that you intend to sell?

Pretty much everything is fair game on Etsy, just curious is all.

#52 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:19 AM

Nothing specific, I just like making things.

nmjUGDL.jpg

#53 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

Then you will fit right in on Etsy.

I would try and find something that would be popular and that you can semi-mass produce.

That is why my patches are successful, I can make a million of them if need be.

#54 idk

idk

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

In my shop I have recently been contacted by a fellow who loves the Venture Brothers patches that I have listed, and requested a handful of emblems/logos that I did not.

He and his companions are cosplayers and tell me that they cannot find good Venture related patches anywhere but my shop, so that is awesome.

I have also sold a great many Deadpool patches to people who intend to use them for their costumes for events and such, so cosplay is obviously a fairly lucrative avenue for me should I delve right in to it.

Since I know at least a few of you fine, upstanding, Nerdites at the very least dabble in cosplay, I am seeking council.

Which characters/games/anime/anything tend to be prominent among the people who go to these events, or make the clothing for them?

I have a vague idea just from being on the internet like any of us, but if I could gather any sort of intel from people who actually go to/partake in cosplay events I could more accurately target my market.

Any help is greatly appreciated comrades.

it depends on the Con, Take a look at Anime North Images and see what you can find for common cosplays. Always a good idea to have an assortment like logos from Full Metal Alchemist, Umbrella corp (Resident Evil has picked up in popularity again recently) Naruto Logos. Pretty much any Anime/Game with Emblems on character uniforms that has a pretty big following is a good idea to look into. 

Speaking of which, I might pick up some of those Brotherhood of Steel patches for a coat. Shoulder emblems would be neat to have I think. 

On the topic of etsy, it would be neat to have a 3d printer to print things to sell on Etsy, Warhammer figures, RISK figures, little things like that. 

5A5DjRW.gif

#55 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:37 PM

it depends on the Con, Take a look at Anime North Images and see what you can find for common cosplays. Always a good idea to have an assortment like logos from Full Metal Alchemist, Umbrella corp (Resident Evil has picked up in popularity again recently) Naruto Logos. Pretty much any Anime/Game with Emblems on character uniforms that has a pretty big following is a good idea to look into. 

Speaking of which, I might pick up some of those Brotherhood of Steel patches for a coat. Shoulder emblems would be neat to have I think. 

On the topic of etsy, it would be neat to have a 3d printer to print things to sell on Etsy, Warhammer figures, RISK figures, little things like that. 

I am going to have to sit down and write a list of anime emblems and such to slowly add to my repertoire.

I was planning on maybe sewing some BOS stuff on my leather bomber(esque) jacket in browns and greys to make it look old and awesome.

Maybe some outcast stuff instead, not sure yet.

I am sure we will see that sort of thing pop up soon enough.

Just as soon as someone finds it necessary to spend the 1200 bucks to get the printer that is.

#56 idk

idk

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

I am going to have to sit down and write a list of anime emblems and such to slowly add to my repertoire.

I was planning on maybe sewing some BOS stuff on my leather bomber(esque) jacket in browns and greys to make it look old and awesome.

Maybe some outcast stuff instead, not sure yet.

I am sure we will see that sort of thing pop up soon enough.

Just as soon as someone finds it necessary to spend the 1200 bucks to get the printer that is.

I used to have an old military styled coat at one point. NCR patches would have been neat for that. 

5A5DjRW.gif

#57 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

That would be sweet.

I plan on hitting up some thrift stores and getting my hands on some nice old jackets and such to embroider awesome things on them.

When I go manage to find the time to do this I shall post pictures.

#58 idk

idk

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

That would be sweet.

I plan on hitting up some thrift stores and getting my hands on some nice old jackets and such to embroider awesome things on them.

When I go manage to find the time to do this I shall post pictures.

Excellent, if I ever find myself wherever you happen to be I may decide to check out your brick and mortar store.

5A5DjRW.gif

#59 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

Excellent, if I ever find myself wherever you happen to be I may decide to check out your brick and mortar store.

Most excellent.

I am in the town of Dutton, it is about a half hour west of London.

I am the only embroiderer out here so won't be hard to find.

#60 idk

idk

Terabyte

• Members
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:04 PM

i think i have been through dutton before actually

5A5DjRW.gif