Photo

New to programming, whats a good first language?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

The first language I ever learned was BASIC. It is very easy and allows you to quickly make all the junk that nobody will ever use in your first year of software development. It also will help your brain understand computer variables without a confusing syntax.

If you're already past that point and ready to actually make products...

If(working with big data analytics (and lots of other people)) {
Java. It is similar to C# in syntax and will run on any platform. Also it is everywhere, so code is easy to find. Also use Eclipse IDE... don't waste time with NetBeans. The Netbeans Platform although cool, is just the eclipse rich application wheel re-invented, but with less support. God bless them for trying though.) ElasticSearch is a phenomenal piece of software to integrate with almost any application.
}

if(working with web applications) {
php - it is the most used language on the web. For PHP i use NetBeans, as it is great for PHP.
http://trends.builtwith.com/framework
}

if(working with 3D models and verticies) {
C/C++ I havent done much with C++ because it is usually too primitive for things i want to do. But if you don't mind moving slow in the beginning, it's an option. The win here is efficiency (provided your code is equally efficient).
}

Python is pretty good. A little weird IMO. A lot of News agencies use Python. I've heard you can make a web server with one line of code. Trend analysis shows that Python is being used less and less: http://trends.builtw...ramework/Python

Learn Flash. The applications are epic looking, performance is stable and is multi-platform ready. And most people don't have a clue how to do action script, which is weird considering how big of a presence it has on the internet. (11%)

#22 Coconut Man

Coconut Man

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationThe latest Smash Major

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

I first learned Python myself.

fl9Uov4.gif

#23 POD

POD

Byte

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:57 PM

if you're pretty smart and already understand the basics of syntax and programming start with php. software you need: notepad, phpedit, and netbeans(php edit has a realy buggy interface but its still my favorite) to each his own i guess.

#24 Delta22

Delta22

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

a good first language, c# and there's no doubt about that, html is fairly simple and so is xml, id say they're good to know but not for a business per say or hardcore programming, but visual studio - (c#, visual basic, web developer, c++), java and html5 are the languages to go for. good luck.

Programmer(in training), hacker(in minimal training), good with computers and mature, all you need to know about me but feel free to talk to me, contact me or whatever, i am no danger.

#25 jamescarter

jamescarter

Bit

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:47 AM

Hey, If you want to develop Apple script for that you need good grasp on basic programming languages such as HTML,C and C++. Java is the most powerful language to develop an apple applications. If you want to learn it online then visit w3schools.

#26 abanerd10000

abanerd10000

Byte

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • LocationRiding the curiosity rover

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

What the heck is so special about python!?? I am solving math problems in c on my cluster supercomputer! Yes, it never forgives you, but it has the fastest compilers, it survived from 1969 for a reason!!! It's veeeryyy easy and you can make a lot of magic with it. Most of the cool games are made in, wait for it... C! Mac OS X, with it's UNIX kernel in made in C,C++, and objective-C. 

Don't be stupid...

#27 Champion of Cyrodiil

Champion of Cyrodiil

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

I can setup a scripts/multiplatform jvms that processes xml, generate test data, and test it, faster in php5+ or java than you can in C.  (without using 3rd party libs)

And when it comes to paying for computers, developers and teams.  At the end of the day, whoever can make the solution that makes a customer happy first, gets paid.  

#28 Guest_ElatedOwl_*

Guest_ElatedOwl_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:03 PM

What the heck is so special about python!?? I am solving math problems in c on my cluster supercomputer! Yes, it never forgives you, but it has the fastest compilers, it survived from 1969 for a reason!!! It's veeeryyy easy and you can make a lot of magic with it. Most of the cool games are made in, wait for it... C! Mac OS X, with it's UNIX kernel in made in C,C++, and objective-C. 

Most games are written in C++, not C. Do you have a source for saying Mac OS X is written with objective-c? It's a high level language, really doesn't seem to be befitting for an OS.

Yeah, you can solve math problems easily with C but how exactly are you going to connect to a database? Are you going to write your own interface for it? What about connection pool caching - are you going to write that as well? This is why higher level languages exist - they solve a lot of the performance issues and kill a lot of boilerplate code. There's a time and place for just about every language and some are better "one size fits all languages" (java, C#) - C just happens to have very few use cases in the modern era.

#29 K_N

K_N

Megabyte

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

I think he's confusing iOS and OSX app development with OSX. Their top-level functions and native applications are commonly written in Objective-C.

Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.

#30 HemoGoblin

HemoGoblin

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:01 AM

I learned HTML and PHP off of that, its a bit of a jump to compiled languages or whatever after, but competent folks will be.unchallenged.

1013385_10200951650460726_1725076785_n.j

#31 SunMoonStars

SunMoonStars

Byte

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:29 PM

I learned C++ first.

#32 Username *

Username *

Byte

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:03 AM

C is the best programming language for begginers, it simpe, general purpoused, not interpreted like python and it isn't slow either (like java). BASIC is good too, but nobody uses BASIC anymore...

Religious+fanaticism_e9d588_4123667.png

#33 odc

odc

Bit

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:07 AM

Hi

compiled languages are useful for professionals or people caring about performance. Interpreted ones are easier to get into.

For you, I would recommend Python 3. This is a interpreted script language very user friendly, very portable, with lots of libraries (graphical, network, scientific calculation, etc.). With it, you can do quite everything you can imagine (desktop or mobile apps, even back-end web servers can use python).

however, is you wish to do your own website, you'd rather have to get into (in this order) HTML 5, CSS 3, javascript, jQuery and bootstrap for the front-end, and then, for the back-end, learn about databases (mySQL, etc.) and back-end language (php, Node.JS, etc.) to start with. When you have an idea of all these language can do, you will be able to have fun with your high quality website.

#34 Octal IT Solution

Octal IT Solution

Bit

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Location4283 Express Lane Suite 317-890, Sarasota FL 34238

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:26 AM

Hello

It totally depends upon what you want to do as a programmer, like if you want to be a mobile app developer you have to try objective c/swift (for iOS apps) and for Android mobile apps you can try java, kotlin ,PhoneGap, Corona etc , and if you want to become a web developer you should try HTML, JS, AJAX, PHP, SQL , Angular , Node JS , Python etc , also for webapps you can try Ruby  For gaming you should try cocos2d-X , Unity 3d etc.
So you should decide first what you want to do as a programmer then you can choose any one from these i have mentioned .

#35 <Alex_/>

<Alex_/>

Bit

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationHamburg

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:07 PM

Its a difficult question. I startet years ago with C as my first programming language. Some concepts are difficult to understand, if you are a complete beginner.

If you want to get into programming you should read a bit about it (mainly about the large fields of application)

and you should start to ask yourself some questions:

Why i want to leard programming at all?

Which of the core topics i've read was the one that catches me the most?

After that you should pic a language which is not as hard to learn :)

Python for example is friendly and you can do a lot of experiments, mainly because its not realy strict.

For OOP you should read something about the basic concepts of object oriented programming.

And in the basics most oop programming languages have much in common :)

I've had the fastest learning curve in Script Languages (take a look at frreecodecamp for a good start)

Hopefully my comment was a little bit helpfull for some of you :)

#36 TinyTerd10

TinyTerd10

Byte

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:46 PM

Python! It's easy to learn and is my first coding language.
It's pretty simple and makes a great first shot. I am currently studying the language. Myself and totally approve!

#37 AdrianG001

AdrianG001

Byte

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 11:27 AM

So many answers here just say C. Absolutely do not begin (or even end with C). Some say close to the metal – but that shows a complete lack of understanding as to what programming is.

Besides, programmers don’t code – programmers program. Compilers (which implement languages) code, because they generate code.

So, if we are to answer what coding language to learn, any assembler or machine code – they are all pretty bad.

For programming and programming languages there are a whole lot, like Python and Ruby, but many more. Many languages can be used as beginning languages, but they are real languages that can be used for serious programming – that is part of the simplicity, elegance, and beauty of programming.

If you want to progress into building large programs look at real object-oriented languages like Smalltalk and Eiffel (but avoid the mess of C++).

C should be avoided, because it will lead you into all sorts of erroneous thinking about what programming is.

#38 The Robstar

The Robstar

Man Child

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 15 December 2019 - 07:11 AM

I get my students to use Scratch.

It's a good foundation programme. 

THE HELL YOU READING FOOL???