5 replies to this topic

#1 nerdinstitches

nerdinstitches

Bit

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationIn a box, just off the M14

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:32 AM

I noticed there wasn't a topic for chess fans? Is it checkers in America? If so, I always belived that checkers was draughts, same game, different name. I mean, Chess is part of the definition of a nerdy game (alongside Dungeons and Dragons, of course).
We are using standard rules here, such as:
  • Pieces:
  • Pawns move 1 place forward, UNLESS they haven't been moved before, then you can move them 2 if you so wish, but they can't take in front of them, they can only take on the diagonal, they cannot move backwards on any occasion, even to take. If you manage to get your pawn to the other side you can promote it to a queen, a bishop or a rook.
  • Knights move 2 and 1 , in any order, for instance they can move 1 right, then 2 forwards, assuming forwards to be your opponents side of the board, Knights can take if they land on a piece with their move. these are the only pieces that can jump over other pieces.
  • Rooks can move as far as they want in any straight direction (forwards, backwards ect), like knights they take by landing on a piece.
  • Bishops can move as far as they want in any diagonal, they take by landing on a piece.
  • The queen can move as far as it wants in any diagonal or straight. Take by landing on pieces.
  • The king, he can move one space in any direction, takes by landing on pieces.
2. Types of endings:
  • Checkmate, where at least one piece can take the king, and one move cannot ave the king.
  • Stalemate, usually where all of a players pieces have been taken, other than the king, and because a king cannot take a king, play ends. (Not as good as a check mate, so most players usually take all but one pawn, to avoid trouble, then checkmate from there.)
  • Retire, where one player decides to surrender, and so that player loses.
So those are the rules we play by, if you don't have a set, or access to one, check out:
http://www.sparkchess.com/
This topic is to discuss strategies, debate wins and set up tournaments. If you want to play me, simply set up an account on sparkchess, post your username on it, and check back in 24-48 hours, I will have posted a time to be waiting in the lobby at, and you can either invite me to a game, or I will invite you.(My username is sorion.)
Happy playing!

"Why?"Socrates

I hate Mondays.

#2 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:17 AM

It'd actually be quite cool to have a chess championship here, I'm not great, though.

And they still call it chess, checkers and draughts are the same thing.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#3 Cthulhu

Cthulhu

The Hick

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationDixieland

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:57 PM

YES I WANT TO DO THIS

#4 Cthulhu

Cthulhu

The Hick

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationDixieland

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

Uh I see no register/sign up button. :\ I usually play chess on Gameknot.com.

EDIT: Nvm, found it.

#5 EN4CER

EN4CER

Byte

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSanibel, FL

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:10 AM

I played this with my wife a little while ago... Apparently she's not very good at it, haha. Was interesting though, will have to play with some co workers or soemthing soon!

#6 Rejected

Rejected

Megabyte

• Banned
  • 453 posts
  • Locationhttp://www.crackhackforum.com/user-54122.html

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:16 AM

ok, lets have a competition is chess :P I will pwn you :P

tumblr_my2mijmVhL1rb06tgo1_500.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chess, Board game