41 replies to this topic

#21 Majestic

Majestic

Megabyte

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationOut of phase.

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

I don't think we are supposed to ever know, because it would ruin the concept of life. And take away the never ending mystery. Everything has to start somewhere, but the thing is, if we can't comprehend infinity, then we will never comprehend life. All because life is infinite, and there never was a start. If there was a start, then all you have to say is: "Where did that come from?" And we're back to square one.

We are not capable of or meant to comprehend life. If we were able to, I don't think there would be any life at all. As there would be no consiousnous beyond nothing. As the start, is after all, nothing. And nothing, is infinite.

That's my theory. I don't think there was/is a god. Because what was before god? Well, there was nothing. And again, nothing is infinite, and we can't comprehend infinity. Therefore we can't comprehent life.

PS, I may have changed my view slightly over this last post. But as I thought more. I evolved my theory.

*insert cliché inspirational quote here*

#22 Relichris

Relichris

Megabyte

• Members
  • 602 posts
  • LocationRice Lake, WI

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:40 PM

I don't think we are supposed to ever know, because it would ruin the concept of life. And take away the never ending mystery. Everything has to start somewhere, but the thing is, if we can't comprehend infinity, then we will never comprehend life. All because life is infinite, and there never was a start. If there was a start, then all you have to say is: "Where did that come from?" And we're back to square one.

We are not capable of or meant to comprehend life. If we were able to, I don't think there would be any life at all. As there would be no consiousnous beyond nothing. As the start, is after all, nothing. And nothing, is infinite.

That's my theory. I don't think there was/is a god. Because what was before god? Well, there was nothing. And again, nothing is infinite, and we can't comprehend infinity. Therefore we can't comprehent life.

PS, I may have changed my view slightly over this last post. But as I thought more. I evolved my theory.

This is proof that evolution occurs in theories too.
Posted Image

#23 Cthulhu

Cthulhu

The Hick

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationDixieland

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:33 PM

That's my theory. I don't think there was/is a god. Because what was before god?

Speaking from a purely Christian standpoint, the thing you have to get is that Christians believe that since God is beyond the realm of science, it's impossible to comprehend how he's never had a beginning. But they still believe he hasn't.

Now, as an ignostic, I still don't accept the evolution theory because of biogenesis and the First and Second Laws of Thermodynamics.

#24 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:31 AM

I'm not terribly familiar with biogenesis, how exactly does it disprove evolution?

And the first and second laws of Thermodynamics really have nothing to do with evolution at all.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#25 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:44 AM

But, biogenesis doesn't correlate to the genesis of life. It's an entirely separate theory. If you're thinking of abiogenesis, Rob, that actually does help to prove evolution. Also, we have seen and measured evolution in the last one hundred or two hundred years in butterflies, it's not really a theory any more so much as it's an established fact. Of course you have places like Mississippi (is that thee right state?) that are a bit behind everywhere else, but it's only a matter of time before the walls of religion are broken down to make room for scientific-religious co-existence. That's an entirely different topic, though.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#26 Relichris

Relichris

Megabyte

• Members
  • 602 posts
  • LocationRice Lake, WI

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

The thing is, nothing is proven. You can't prove that God exists and you can't exactly prove that evolution exists.
Posted Image

#27 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

...you can prove evolution. There's physical evidence.

#28 twa

twa

The Actual Administrator

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

...you can prove evolution. There's physical evidence.

Well I do for one, believe in evolution. But not in its entirety.

Zi9JkgO.gif

あ な た を 信 じ て い る 私 を 信 じ て 

#29 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:53 AM

But, it's an all or nothing theory.

Allow me to elaborate, it's not fair if I just keep pressing my agenda without any substantial back up. In the last century, there has been a real surge in industrialisation and the development of cities. As such certain species have had to learn how to survive and adapt to these new ecosystems and man-made biomes. One such creature is the peppered moth, the species Biston betularia f. carbonaria is black bodied, as such in recent years it has bloomed in numbers while Biston betularia f. typica which is white coloured in correlation to the lichen it feeds off, has declined in number due to excessive predation. The black coloured peppered moth has evolved from its white ancestor because it is better suited to the sooty and more polluted city enivironment, it therefore proves survival of the fittest and Darwinism because the moth that is better suited to its new environment has evolved beyond its white coloured counterpart.

#30 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

The thing is, nothing is proven. You can't prove that God exists and you can't exactly prove that evolution exists.

Except that it's been documented and proven in a variety of cases. Gol posted a good example. Check out "Wall Lizards" for another great example, this from an ongoing study from the 70's that actually documents evolution at work.

A scientific theory isn't the same as a basic theory.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#31 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:20 AM

The three toes skink is another fantastic example.

#32 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:22 AM

I hadn't heard of that one before, that's pretty nifty.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#33 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:26 AM

I know, it's absolutely incredible! Mother nature be a fascinating lady.

#34 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

I'm curious, have they done tests with reversing the skinks habitats to see if they can immediately change the birthing style, or if they are becoming two independent species.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#35 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

I don't profess to know, I think the consensus is that the skinks in desert or beach habitats still lay eggs because they can rely on good weather and high temperatures, in temperate and mountain biomes they perform live birth because it is cooler and the body temperature generated by the mother means that the child will be warmer staying closer to the mother than in the egg. I assume they're diverging into a new species entirely. This is a mammalian birthing style, not reptilian.

#36 Relichris

Relichris

Megabyte

• Members
  • 602 posts
  • LocationRice Lake, WI

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

Yeah, I know evolution is proven. I just got you all to bring stuff up that proves it because I'm lazy like that. I'm Agnostic and I believe in evolution a bit. I can't stand people that claim that God created everything. No offense to anyone but you can't say that without proof. Anyway, I believe we've had this discussion in another thread.
Posted Image

#37 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:27 PM

Of course.

I still stand by the point that you can't believe in evolution 'a bit', it's a theory, either you believe in the whole kit and kaboodle or it's not evolution any more.

#38 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

I think she probably means she believes in guided evolution.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#39 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

That was more in response to Relichris' comment.

Nonetheless, theistic evolution is still evolution, hell I think it's plausible, before I gave up on Christianity entirely I would say I was a guided evolutionist.

#40 Relichris

Relichris

Megabyte

• Members
  • 602 posts
  • LocationRice Lake, WI

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

I believe in Pokemon.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: life, space, planets, microbes, space core, abiogenesis, panspermia