#1 touldyouso

touldyouso

Byte

• Banned
  • 17 posts
  • LocationIn my shoes

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

‘Dark Knight’ Shooting To Be Exploited For Political Grist

Within hours of the tragic shooting in Aurora, Colorado at a screening of the new Batman movie, the political machine is already gearing up to exploit the incident as a tool to demonize the second amendment and characterize Americans who are against big government as extremists.

A 6ft tall man dressed in black body armor and wearing a gas mask burst through an emergency exit door at the theater during a midnight screening of ‘The Dark Knight Rises’ Batman movie, before making his way up the stairs and shooting people at random, according to reports.

The man also apparently set off a smoke or tear gas bomb, killing at least 14 people and injuring dozens more.

The gunman was arrested and early reports suggested an accomplice was still on the run, but police now say there was only one shooter.

“A 24-year-old suspect in is custody and an apartment building in north Aurora connected to the suspect was being evacuated and searched for possible explosives, “ reports the Denver Post.

A possible motive for the shooting – bizarre as it sounds – is that, “the gunman carried out the shooting because the new Batman movie was sold out,” according to local reports.

Observers following news reports about the incident have already noticed that the tragedy is being exploited to demonize Americans suspicious of federal authority – noting that the villain in ‘The Dark Knight Rises’ is an anti-establishment character.

“They’re claiming that since the villain in the movie was “rising up” against authorities that’s what this guy may have been doing,” writes Brandon Nolley.

Others fear that the shooter will be labeled a “conspiracy theorist” and used to portray so-called “truthers” as violent extremists.

“I have a feeling he’s going to be a “extremist” with “Conspiracy theorist” views, may be he even saw Alex’s review of the movie,” writes Evan Munn. “They are going to parade out the children’s bodies like OKC.”

Others note that the mass shooting coincides with a UN arms treaty that threatens to grease the skids for a total gun ban in the United States. It’s inevitable that the event will be used to demonize the second amendment.

“The UN treaty will save us,” comments Michael Rozycki.

Every time there is a mass shooting in the United States, the establishment uses it to demonize its political adversaries.

The most recent example was the Jared Lee Loughner case. After Loughner shot Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, the media instantly launched a smear campaign insinuating that Loughner’s political beliefs were shared by conservatives and libertarians. In reality, Loughner turned out to be a pot smoking left-winger who had dabbled in the occult.

Death-Obsessed Culture, Not Gun Rights, To Blame For ‘Batman’ Shooting

Within hours of the tragic ‘Batman’ shooting in Aurora, Colorado, political opportunists have seized upon the incident to push for gun control, with New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg demanding that both Mitt Romney and Barack Obama “stand up and tell us what they’re going to do about” mass shootings.

Exactly as we predicted in our earlier article, leftists have wasted no time in exploiting the actions of a lone lunatic for political grist, with Bloomberg calling on the two presidential candidates to crack down on gun rights.

We knew ghouls like Bloomberg would rush to exploit this tragedy to try and crush the right to self defense.

Quite how either Romney or Obama have the power to reverse a Hollywood-inspired culture that serves up lashings of violence to young people like turkey at Thanksgiving is anyone’s guess.

In addition, the notion that either of the presidential candidates can put a halt to a juggernaut pharmaceutical industry that doles out violence-causing SSRI drugs to youngsters like penny candy is clearly asinine.

“I mean, there’s so many murders with guns every day,” said Bloomberg. “It’s just gotta stop. And instead of these two people, President [Barack] Obama and Governor [Mitt] Romney talking in broad things about, they want to make the world a better place. OK. Tell us how. And this is a problem. No matter where you stand on the Second Amendment, no matter where you stand on guns, we have a right to hear from both of them, concretely, not just in generalities, specifically, what are they going to do about guns?” Bloomberg told WOR News Talk Radio 710.

Bloomberg was followed in his idiocy by CNN host and all-round smarm-merchant Piers Morgan, who in a series of tweets hastily seized upon the tragedy to promote his lust for disarming the general public.

“America has got to do something about its gun laws. Now is the time,” said Morgan.

“Lunatics like this will always try and get guns. It should be 100,000 times harder than it is for them to do so. That’s my point,” he added.

Perhaps the more fundamental question that needs to be asked as to why America keeps experiencing mass shootings, when as recently as twenty years ago they were few and far between, is to what extent our sick culture and entertainment industry is contributing to the general malaise and unfeeling psychosis that seems to have gripped the younger generations?

Why were there so few mass shootings just two decades ago compared to now? Has the number and availability of guns increased substantially? No. Is the sewer pipe we call Hollywood and the entertainment industry pumping out sicker, more nihilistic and more violence-strewn films than ever before? Yes.

As numerous observers have noted, the recent Batman films have contained unnerving amounts of violence that seem to serve little purpose other than to appease a bloodthirsty craving for gore and brutality amongst young people, who have had such sickness foisted upon them through movies, entertainment, video games and popular music.

As Jenny McCartney notes in the Telegraph, we have been turned into a society seduced by sadism.

This sadism is also more accessible to children and young people than ever before. Many people today are asking what a 6-year-old child was doing at a midnight screening of a movie?

In addition, the fact that these kind of movies are able to generate such a level of suspended disbelief that victims thought the shooting was initially part of the movie, is a shocking example of how much power the big screen has to warp minds.

It’s also now come to light that Warner Bros paired the Batman movie with a trailer for a film which shows “a gangster with a machine gun shooting up people in a movie theater from behind the big screen.”

Once again, before we even know anything about the 24-year-old shooter James Holmes, the establishment media and leftist political operatives are rushing to denounce gun rights as the culprit behind the tragedy, once again failing to address the underlying root cause – a sadistic, death obsessed culture that allows young men to be drawn into bizarre fantasy worlds where violence is seen as an alluring adventure.

The Dark Knight Rises: Was Shooter Channeling ‘Bane’?

Given the fact that it appears the shooter in the ‘Batman’ massacre had modeled himself on the Bane character in ‘The Dark Knight Rises’ – these quotes from Alex Jones’ recent review of the movie are particularly pertinent.
“Who is Bane? He’s a symbolic demon, a destroyer, a symbol of the Hegelian dialectic. Order out of chaos.”
“To the conscious mind, these symbols don’t register, but to the subconscious they are clear commands – just like you’re a computer.”
“The power of Hollywood, the power of images to program the mind is not debated and the Pentagon and Madison Avenue know that.”
“When you go into one of these movies and just turn yourself over to it in suspended disbelief, you become a willing victim to have your mind literally programmed in that key fear state.” (Note that many of the victims thought the shooting was actually part of the film, they were still in a state of suspended disbelief).

Something to Keep in Mind as Hysterical Gun-grabbers Attack the Second Amendment

In the hours, days and weeks ahead, we can expect a concerted attack on the right to own firearms and the Second Amendment in response to the shooting in Colorado last night. Proponents of disarming the public will argue that restricting the right to own firearms will prevent mass murders and violence.

But here’s something they will not tell you: the chance you will be a victim of a mass shooting is at best miniscule.
Ronald Bailey, writing for Reason.com, cites some interesting statistics on gun violence. He takes his statistics from the Bureau of Justice Statistics:

The proportion of homicide incidents involving two victims has increased slightly from 2.7% in 1980 to 3.7% in 2008.

Homicide incidents involving three or more victims have also increased during this same period, but have remained less than 1% of all homicides each year.

Multiple victim homicides are so small as to be almost insignificant:

- 3.7% involved two victims

- 0.5% involved three victims

- 0.2% involved four victims

- 0.1% involved five or more victims.

Moreover, the homicide rate in the United States has declined sharply in recent years – from 9.3 homicides per 100,000 in 1992 to 4.8 homicides per 100,000 in 2010.
Of course, these figures mean nothing to the gun-grabbers in and out of government who exploit emotional issues for political gain. They will not rest until the Second Amendment is in shambles and you have no way of protecting yourself not only from criminals (who will have illegal guns) but from the very tryanny of government itself.

#2 Relichris

Relichris

Megabyte

• Members
  • 602 posts
  • LocationRice Lake, WI

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:13 PM

It's true that it's a sad story and very tragic, and while I don't particularly like guns (but I'm in the military so I use them for training purposes), I wouldn't exactly come out and say BAN GUNS. Because I don't blame the guns for killing people. I blame the ones who use them for selfish reasons. And I wouldn't blame the media either. It was that guy's choice to shoot and kill those 15 people, no matter what the reasons were. He chose to take out his aggression in a negative and violent manner. Maybe people should learn to think "Oh wow, that guy in the movie just killed that guy in the back of the head. I'll steer away from that." instead of "Oh shit, that was cool, I want to do that!". Granted, not everyone will think that way and that's great. But unfortunately there are people like that and they won't go away simply by banning guns.
Posted Image

#3 mightydamsels

mightydamsels

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

It makes sense to ban machine and hand guns because who would use those for hunting? Even if they make it so you can only have them at a shooting range, which is where they should be used anyway.
As for the cause, violent movies/games can't take all the blame. If that were the case, then everyone would be out shooting up the neighbourhood.
It all comes down to parenting. Talk with your kids about what they are watching and make sure they understand what is happening, whether it be violence or sex.

#4 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

I heard about this because it actually made the front page of UK newspapers everywhere, it's a real tragedy, especially to learn the sick fuck wounded children and even babies. I can't believe you guys have access to machine guns over there. You should have to pass psychology tests and be admitted into shooting clubs just to own an M1911. Obviously this is going to spark a lot of negative press for Batman now, which is dumb. I hope this sort of thing doesn't happen again.

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#5 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

Deer Leader of the Goriest Revolution

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

I didn't see what kind of gun he had, but I can tell you that you can't have anything fully automatic without some very strenuous licensing, even here in texas. Also handgun laws vary from state to state, some making you keep them at gun ranges as suggested.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#6 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

He had a pistol, a shotgun and an automatic machine gun.

I didn't read too much into it because it was just distressing but I remember that clearly.

#7 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

Yeah, gun laws probably wouldn't have made a difference there, since they were almost certainly illegally obtained anyways.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#8 Cthulhu

Cthulhu

The Hick

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationDixieland

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

Nowadays, I've come to find tragedies become pawns for political bullshit. As if tragedies weren't sad enough.

Take my gun away? Try regulating the black market first and then we'll talk.

#9 Relichris

Relichris

Megabyte

• Members
  • 602 posts
  • LocationRice Lake, WI

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:02 PM

It makes sense to ban machine and hand guns because who would use those for hunting? Even if they make it so you can only have them at a shooting range, which is where they should be used anyway.
As for the cause, violent movies/games can't take all the blame. If that were the case, then everyone would be out shooting up the neighbourhood.
It all comes down to parenting. Talk with your kids about what they are watching and make sure they understand what is happening, whether it be violence or sex.

Honestly I wouldn't even say it comes down to parenting. I didn't learn right and wrong from them, I figured it out from the start. I've never had the sex talk and I knew about sex since I was 5. But I understand what you're saying. I just think that people need to assess how their actions reflect on others. Even if parents were talking to their kids about sex and violence, that doesn't mean they wouldn't be violent or such. You can't blame someone's own decisions on someone else.

Nowadays, I've come to find tragedies become pawns for political bullshit. As if tragedies weren't sad enough.

Take my gun away? Try regulating the black market first and then we'll talk.

The guy bought them legally.
Posted Image

#10 Cthulhu

Cthulhu

The Hick

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationDixieland

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

The guy bought them legally.

Ironically, apparently Aurora has strict gun laws. Makes me wonder...

#11 Relichris

Relichris

Megabyte

• Members
  • 602 posts
  • LocationRice Lake, WI

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

Ironically, apparently Aurora has strict gun laws. Makes me wonder...

Either way, he got them legally and, while it is a red flag from the beginning, no one could have stopped him. He has a right to have them.
Posted Image

#12 SpleenBeGone

SpleenBeGone

• Administrators
  • 14,951 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

So I looked into this. He didn't have a fully automatic weapon, just a semi-auto AR-15.
nmjUGDL.jpg

#13 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:32 AM

Ah, perhaps the newspaper got a hold of the wrong information, nevertheless, a semi-automatic is still a deadly weapon, in some respects worse than a full-auto since he's going to try and aim his shots rather than pay and spray, less injuries perhaps, but more kills. You guys should amend your constitution so that you can't carry weapons and you can't own pistols. Over here you can only have a shotgun or long-barrel rifle, they might have to be bolt actions as well but I'm not certain since I think you can have a .22. Best thing is you can't own a pistol which are the easiest guns to conceal.

E: I did some research into this and actually the UK has one of the lowest rates of gun homicide in the World. Nigh on everyone who owns a gun is registered with a shooting club, and most of those can trace their roots back to Napoleon III when the threat of invasion was at its highest since the war with the Spanish.

Basically the largest calibre round you can put in a rifle is .22 rimfire, long barrelled pistols can use .357 magnum rounds, you can own a revolving rifle, a carbine, lever action or historical black powder weapons, you can have pump actions up to .22 calibre. All pistols that don't use black powder are pretty much banned unless your with humane animal dispatch. Single barrelled, double barrelled or other types with a magazine capacity of no more than 2 rounds are permitted on a shotgun licence, and low power air rifles can be owned without a licence. I think it's illegal to carry live round on your person as well.

I don't know if that's interesting to any of you guys, but perhaps if your laws were more strict you'd have less crime.

#14 Relichris

Relichris

Megabyte

• Members
  • 602 posts
  • LocationRice Lake, WI

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:14 AM

Crime happens either way. Doesn't matter if the laws are strict or not. It's still going to happen. Banishing guns won't do anything. Just like the "War on Terrorism", it's pointless, as in, there is nothing we can do that will permanently stop it. Laws will always be exploited to some extent or not. I'm not saying that we can't try though. But good luck with that.
Posted Image

#15 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:40 AM

It can sure as hell bring the casualties down, though.

In the United Kingdom in 2009 there were 0.07 recorded intentional homicides committed with a firearm per 100,000 inhabitants; for comparison, the figure for the United States was 3.0, about 40 times higher

Cited from United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime.

And the War on Terrorism is just a stupid term our politicians drafted up without too much thought, defence of the home territories would be more apt. In which case it is a battle we're winning, terrorist attacks have never been a major problem for Western Countries, 2001 and 2005 were indeed major and terrible events, but nothing on that scale has happened since.

#16 flcl_grim

flcl_grim

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:27 AM

Please stop discussing this event with everyone you meet and their dog; the only way to stop mass murders like this is to localize the news (to the communities directly affected), stop sensationalizing the event, and go on your merry way.

A rather disappointed psychologist has put it best:
1) Stop making the killer into a celebrity.
2) Stop throwing the body count around like a high score.
3) Stop using these tragedies to push agendas. If you must do so, make them nothing more than statistics.

[On a personal, vulgar note: Fuck news companies in, around, and with their mouths.]

#17 (V) (`m`) (V) ︵ ┻━┻

(V) (`m`) (V) ︵ ┻━┻

Forever in debt to your priceless advice.

• Members
  • 10,996 posts
  • LocationThey're coming to take me away..

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

Please stop discussing this event with everyone you meet and their dog; the only way to stop mass murders like this is to localize the news (to the communities directly affected), stop sensationalizing the event, and go on your merry way.

A rather disappointed psychologist has put it best:
1) Stop making the killer into a celebrity.
2) Stop throwing the body count around like a high score.
3) Stop using these tragedies to push agendas. If you must do so, make them nothing more than statistics.

[On a personal, vulgar note: Fuck news companies in, around, and with their mouths.]

Not only do people not understand that, they then celebrate the anniversaries of these events.

Right now you can't turn on the radio, tv, or go online to news stations and not be beaten in the face with this; and it will be like this till they find the next tragedy they want to utilize.

I stand by the fact that the press are on a different level of sub-human.

ΝΙΨΟΝ ΑΝΟΜΗΜΑΤΑ ΜΗ ΜΟΝΑΝ ΟΨΙΝ

obazNZl.gif

#18 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:36 AM

Depends on the sort of paper you're reading, I love the Guardian but detest the Sun, one is formal and factual, to an extent educational that publicises all sorts of events as they are, the other is a sensationalist rag that dramatises everything and creates intolerance and racism through the purposeful implementation of bad press.

#19 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

The first thing I questioned about this story, was why were children there in the first place. The movie isn't for children, so premiere or not, there was no real reason for kids to be there.

Crime happens either way. Doesn't matter if the laws are strict or not. It's still going to happen. Banishing guns won't do anything. Just like the "War on Terrorism", it's pointless, as in, there is nothing we can do that will permanently stop it. Laws will always be exploited to some extent or not. I'm not saying that we can't try though. But good luck with that.

The UK has strict gun laws and very low gun crime. The US hasn't got very strict gun laws, and has very high gun crime. Sounds pretty simple to me.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”