• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:11 PM

This is where you can post all the things you recommend that us fellow nerds read.

I've got nothing.

#2 Zerosum11

Zerosum11

Byte

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • LocationOld Vegas, NV

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

I've read a lot of Batman, but the one that stuck with me the most was Batman: Arkham Asylum by Grant Morrison.
It's incredibly dark and just creepy. The Joker is a bit more flamboyant than normal and Batman is struggling for his own sanity... so it's pretty entertaining.
The plot and writing was amazing, but what I really loved was the artwork. The great use of mixed media was really impressive!
Anyway, that's what I recommend, you'll love it if you like dark psychologically creepy comics. I think it was illustrated by the same guy who did sandman, but I'm too lazy to go to google right now.

Also, if you haven't read it yet, Watchmen is always recommended. Great plot and artwork.
"We have failed to uphold Brannigan's Law. However I did make it with a hot alien babe. And in the end, is that not what man has dreamt of since first he looked up at the stars?" - Captain Zapp Brannigan

#3 Cthulhu

Cthulhu

The Hick

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationDixieland

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

If you like unconventional storytelling and horror books, I highly recommend Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves. There are some differently colored words, some words that are arranged on particular pages that mirror what is currently going on in the story, and there are some pages that only have one or two words at a time. It's very claustrophobically awesome.

Posted Image

#4 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:32 AM

Finished reading this relatively recently:

Posted Image

DEUTSCHLAND DEUTSCHLAND, UBER ALLES...

tumblr_om7nwjm5Wm1rsea1wo1_500.gif
Ask for my discord/Insta/Tumblr if you want.

#5 outland

outland

Bit

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:27 PM

"UPGRADE" is a new sci-fi graphic novel series. Dystopian future, year 2058.

link for BOOK I: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008C8YM10

Posted Image

#6 Cthulhu

Cthulhu

The Hick

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationDixieland

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:25 PM

Speaking of sci-fi comics, Saga is fucking great.

#7 twa

twa

The Actual Administrator

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:13 AM

I recommend these two for now. I gotta get to uni (its freaking 5:13am >>) I'll post more later.
I proudly own these two babies.
The Good Thief
http://hannahtinti.com/the-good-thief/
Posted Image

The Unwanteds
http://www.goodreads...9-the-unwanteds
Posted Image

Zi9JkgO.gif

あ な た を 信 じ て い る 私 を 信 じ て 

#8 Wolf

Wolf

Zettabyte

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:49 AM

I've been reading "Why We Suck" by Dr. Dennis Leary

I'm appreciating the amount of loathing in it

#9 DeadChannel

DeadChannel

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationNotlob

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:08 PM

XD
I liked neptune crossing. idk if you can get it if you dont have a kindle though :P
but, if you do.... its FREEEE
(y u rope me in author. the next book in the series isnt FREEEEE D:)
I'm fearful, I'm fearful, I'm fearful of flying, and flying is fearful of me.

#10 Jesse Custer

Jesse Custer

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • LocationXanth

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:41 PM

Preacher series
The Dark Tower books
the Black Company books
anything by Clive Barker except Abarat...terrible attempt at cashing in on the youth fantasy craze.

#11 Bowsette

Bowsette

Tentacular!

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

Most of the classics. The Iliad, Odyssey, The Divine Comedy, The Art of War, the Night Angel trilogy, the Bells of Nagasaki, uh...there's a lot more.

LL1Yc5i.gif

“Shimatta! Bare… nan no koto kashira?”

#12 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

The Art of War < 3

Attack the enemy while they are strong,
Observe them while they are weak.

So obvious yet so poignant.

Never Let me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.

#13 Cosplayer

Cosplayer

Bit

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:38 PM

Must MUST read (if you're into graphic novels) Joker! As a Batman fan, I have to say this is a brilliant concept of the Joker as a villian.  If you're a fan of the Heath Ledger Joker, than you'll be a fan of this graphic novel.

#14 Epic?OhYes

Epic?OhYes

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • LocationI should post more.

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:17 PM

I've read these past few things this week.

One was a book called " Sold", author Patricia Mcormick It was about a 13 year old girl from Nepal who was sold into the trafficking industry while thinking she was off to the city to become a maid and help out her families money troubles. I found it very good, it only took me about 2-3 hours to read, around 220+ pages.

Another is called " Croak" by Gina Damico. It is about a troubled girl who is sent to her uncles for the summer to get straightened out, and is then trained into becoming a grim reaper. It is very interesting and plot turning. Recommended for people into fantasy.

Lastly, the book called " Happyface" by Stephen Emond. It was about a nerd who turned popular when moving to a new school. Nobody knows about his past and he wants to keep it that way. He becomes obsessed with popularity and eventually breaks down and looses his title.

This is all I've read this week. ;_; I just began a new one called " You Killed Wesley Payne"

30c3cwj.gif

^ My future Wife

WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.WOOT.

#15 SteGWeber

SteGWeber

Bit

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:34 AM

Marvel VS Avengers comic books are pretty good.

:D

#16 Calvary

Calvary

Conceptual

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Locationwww.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:52 AM

I just finished Never Let Me Go, what an absolutely amazing book it is. Very emotional. The book plays on the deep seated fear of our own mortality and how people can overcome those fears in the correct circumstances. It also gave a very draconian view of our own society and what we'd do to extend our own lives, even to the detriment of others. I can see why Ishiguro won the booker prize.

#17 Jesse Custer

Jesse Custer

Kilobyte

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • LocationXanth

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:01 AM

started reading the Xanth series by piers anthony. :P

#18 DeadChannel

DeadChannel

Gigabyte

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationNotlob

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

I reccomend 1984 (duh)
I'm fearful, I'm fearful, I'm fearful of flying, and flying is fearful of me.

#19 Affray

Affray

Knower of things

• Members
  • 5,753 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

1984 is all fine and good, but a bit overplayed.
Even the best things in the world become hard to enjoy when they are forced down your throat constantly.
I enjoy the concept of 1984, and it was pretty well written, but every English teacher made me read that goddamn book from grade eight through high school.
It is the same reason I don't like anything Shakespearean, just thinking about the amount of time I had to read Macbeth makes me want to rage puke my guts out.

With that said, the concept of doublespeak I did enjoy.
Getting my head around doublethinking back in high school pretty much snapped my grasp on solid ground when it came to reading books, and writing them for that matter.
The concept of accepting two completely opposite beliefs as both being correct is a brain buster.
I once wrote an entire essay in high school about the mental gymnastics that everyone living in the dystopian world of 1984 would have to perform every day just to conform to the forced act of being hypocritically neautral in their beliefs. Beliefs that weren't their own of course, because they are forced to maintain them.
That isn't even the only thing they had to bend their brains over backward to accomplish, just the biggest and most insane.

It is perfectly acceptable to fear and admire a being you could not possibly understand.

#20 SushiKitten

SushiKitten

Coffee Cat

• Members
  • 1,916 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:17 AM

Most of the classics. The Iliad, Odyssey, The Divine Comedy, The Art of War, the Night Angel trilogy, the Bells of Nagasaki, uh...there's a lot more.

I loved the Night Angel Trilogy. I've been trying to get my hands on the second book of Brent Weeks' new series, but it's always sold out in my city. I'd totally recommend it, The magic system is really clever in my opinion.

I also really love anything by Neil Gaiman. I love the creepy-yet-loveable feel to his books. I'm reading Good Omens right now, and the humour is great, also some of it I just don't get because I'm not British.